Why do I feel this has fallen on deaf ears?

Mufasa

A topic from a while ago.

I feel like that topic was completely overlooked or ignored by some members. Perhaps I'm also guilty, but from a personal stand point, I feel like half of the topics I make turn into topics that are meant to flame me. I know things can't be 100% perfect, nor do I want them to be, but it seems like people have forgotten sheer human decency, and most of the members are either wacky goofy slobs that can't go three posts without mentioning something sexual, or extremely uptight pricks who take everything so serious their asshole seals up.

I'm not sure which side I'm on to be honest. On one hand, I agree that people need to learn to lighten up and take a joke, but on another hand, I think people need to grow up and start treating other people with a little bit of respect. Even if you don't like the person.

Perhaps this is all in my head, but considering I and many other active members have talked more than once about leaving the forest, leads me to believe that this isn't just in my imagination.

I'd offer a solution, but I'm not sure what would help. My suggestion would be for all the mods and admins to stop lurking as much and actually make their presence aware to the world, and use their powers more often than not.

That was the great thing about Metal Arc. You always knew he was there, and he wouldn't put up with any shit. Vincent, Hanz and Gustave are pretty much lurkers, Fox is too nice to mod anyone who doesn't blatantly make an offense, and even when they do she tries to negotiate with them to make them see the errors of their ways, most times to no avail. I never really know what Jyosua or Lord Glenn are up to. And I barely see Wist around for more than one day a week. Maybe he lurks too. But what's the point in having mods if they just lurk and don't do anything? If they don't do anything then their powers go to waste, and if they aren't on or they're on annonomously(sp?) then they can't even intimidate someone into acting right.

So I dunno what needs to be done, but I think something does. Take this all as you will, but I figured I'd get my feelings out in the open, despite the amount of flaming that I will inevitably recieve.

*Finishes rant.*

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I start, can I state an opinion without 9 pages of BAAAW now?

I think your post counts as "BAAAW". At the very least it's spam. But if I'm correct in the definition of "BAAAW" it would be something along the lines of what I'm talking about.

That said, please continue.

That was the great thing about Metal Arc. You always knew he was there, and he wouldn't put up with any shit. Vincent, Hanz and Gustave are pretty much lurkers, Fox is too nice to mod anyone who doesn't blatantly make an offense, and even when they do she tries to negotiate with them to make them see the errors of their ways, most times to no avail. I never really know what Jyosua or Lord Glenn are up to. And I barely see Wist around for more than one day a week. Maybe he lurks too. But what's the point in having mods if they just lurk and don't do anything? If they don't do anything then their powers go to waste, and if they aren't on or they're on annonomously(sp?) then they can't even intimidate someone into acting right.

Just because a moderator or admin doesn't post in FFtF, that doesn't mean that they don't post. I've seen Hanz, Vincent, Wist, and Gustave make posts all over the forums, from the General boards to the Fire Emblem boards. Arc was here, yeah, but he also broke 51431456161 rules. Intimidation doesn't necessarily command respect. Look at Ivan the Terrible!

Just because a moderator or admin doesn't post in FFtF, that doesn't mean that they don't post. I've seen Hanz, Vincent, Wist, and Gustave make posts all over the forums, from the General boards to the Fire Emblem boards. Arc was here, yeah, but he also broke 51431456161 rules. Intimidation doesn't necessarily command respect. Look at Ivan the Terrible!

I still haven't seen them post that much. And even if Arc broke the rules, he never made any serious offenses, and he did his job well.

And anarchy works even less than a dictatorship. Look at Cuba, then look at Iraq. And you tell me which is better off.

How am I practically a lurker? I posted 19 times yesterday, 9 the day before that, 15 before that, and 10 before that. Maybe our idea of what a lurker is differs, but that hardly sounds like the posting habits of a lurker.

I still haven't seen them post that much. And even if Arc broke the rules, he never made any serious offenses, and he did his job well.

And anarchy works even less than a dictatorship. Look at Cuba, then look at Iraq. And you tell me which is better off.

A moderator is supposed to ENFORCE the rules, yet he's the one breaking them. Irony/Contradiction much?

How am I practically a lurker? I posted 19 times yesterday, 9 the day before that, 15 before that, and 10 before that. Maybe our idea of what a lurker is differs, but that hardly sounds like the posting habits of a lurker.

Regardless, the point isn't about the mods or admins really. That's not what the point of this topic is. The point is that people need to learn to treat eachother with more respect here, while trying to relax more. I find myself often checking my posts to see if there's any mistake in there that people may twist into something offensive, or they'll turn into some big scandal, like I had just murdered someone.

I'm not sure which side I'm on to be honest. On one hand, I agree that people need to learn to lighten up and take a joke, but on another hand, I think people need to grow up and start treating other people with a little bit of respect. Even if you don't like the person.

You seem to be seeing this too poorly. The supposed "serious" people can actually take a joke despite what you and others think. Simply put, the sense of humour of alot of people around here is pretty bad.

Edited by Shuuda

You seem to be seeing this too poorly. The supposed "serious" people can actually take a joke despite what you and others think. Simply put, the sense of humour alot of people around here is pretty bad.

Well, that might be it too. But still, I find people ridiculing them for that. SOME people might find it funny. Just like other people might find it not.

Personally I feel you, Lyle Dayek, take things too seriously around here. Even in FFTF. I get the impression you're easily offended by anything that has the slightly chance of offending you, even when it's a joke or not even directed to you. On a similar note, I get the impression you feel like you're more important than you think- which is summed up by you making this topic, and the other topic where you blamed yourself for causing tension in the forest.

However, that's probably just what I think.

Regardless, I do applaud you for having the guts to forward your opinions. If people really are as unhappy as you, I'd suggest they speak up, although I recommend in private (you can PM me for instance, if you'd like).

On the subject of mods, I think you underrate how hard a job it can be moderate this place. I think we do our jobs relatively well, considering we're not paid anything. Again, if people have problems about how we operate, they should speak out, instead of assuming we can read their minds or something ^^;;;

Edited by VincentASM

Leave me the fuck out of this. It's digging up memories I've managed to repress.

I was a prick but I'd like to think I've grown up more because of how it went down. I don't desire to be staff again, lest it undo what I've been doing since then.

Edited by Reborn

Personally I feel you, Lyle Dayek, take things too seriously around here. Even in FFTF. I get the impression you're easily offended by anything that has the slightly chance of offending you, even when it's a joke or not even directed to you. On a similar note, I get the impression you feel like you're more important than you think- which is summed up by you making this topic, and the other topic where you blamed yourself for causing tension in the forest.

However, that's probably just what I think.

Regardless, I do applaud you for having the guts to forward your opinions. If people really are as unhappy as you, I'd suggest they speak up, although I recommend in private (you can PM me for instance, if you'd like).

On the subject of mods, I think you underrate how hard a job it can be moderate this place. I think we do our jobs relatively well, considering we're not paid anything. Again, if people have problems about how we operate, they should speak out, instead of assuming we can read their minds or something ^^;;;

Ouch. My pride....

You're probably right about most of that. Though I do feel that things have gotten to a point of anarchy here. Personaly, I feel like there isn't enough punishment given where it's due. Maybe that's just me, but like with the topic the other day with Destiny Hero. People started attacking him with little to no provocation. Which doesn't seem fair to him. And if what was said was true about him, from said members who attacked him, then he probably should have been banned by now.

And I respect you a lot Vincent. So what you say is probably true. I can't really say I know how hard it is to moderate this place, because if I did, I'd be talking out of my ass.

In retro-spect, I probably should have PMed this. I even thought about that yesterday, but with all that happened since then (In my own RL) I forgot.

Pride? On the internet? What madness is this? j/k

I think you're exaggerating a little about being at the point of anarchy. It's not like we have troll topics in every single board. I'll admit there's still been some rule-bending floating around, but that's not something anyone can stop straightaway. I think.

On the subject of Destiny Hero. I think they're doing a fine job ignoring whatever's thrown at them- whether it's sound advice or flames. Still, that's no excuse for some of the petty flames that I've seen hurled at them. Not that DH is the most brilliant poster ever either, but that's besides the point.

And if what was said was true about him, from said members who attacked him, then he probably should have been banned by now.

Huh, what would that be?

Edited by VincentASM

Pride? On the internet? What madness is this? j/k

I think you're exaggerating a little about being at the point of anarchy. It's not like we have troll topics in every single board. I'll admit there's still been some rule-bending floating around, but that's not something anyone can stop straightaway. I think.

On the subject of Destiny Hero. I think they're doing a fine job ignoring whatever's thrown at them- whether it's sound advice or flames. Still, that's no excuse for some of the petty flames that I've seen hurled at them. Not that DH is the most brilliant poster ever either, but that's besides the point.

Huh, what would that be?

Lol.

-Well, it's why I wanted to make this topic. So I could perhaps help in some way. But as you said earlier, I'm not as important as I think I am. So it seems I can't exactly help. Which hurts a little since I love this place so much and hate to see it wane in certain aspects.

-As for Destiny Hero, I haven't heard anything specific (Or if I have I usually ignore the person while pretending to listen.) But people seem to see him as an overall troll who's very meaning for existence is to piss people off. Which I would think if that were true he would be removed.

You are important in your own right. I was kind of shooting down the "I'm the only one who can save Serenes Forest!!!" kind of important.

However, that being said, you're probably right that you can't do anything (physically) to fix this situation ^^;;;

-As for Destiny Hero, I haven't heard anything specific (Or if I have I usually ignore the person while pretending to listen.) But people seem to see him as an overall troll who's very meaning for existence is to piss people off. Which I would think if that were true he would be removed.

I wouldn't be surprised, but if they were a troll, they seem like a fairly harmless one to me.

Edited by VincentASM

You are important in your own right. I was kind of shooting down the "I'm the only one who can save Serenes Forest!!!" kind of important.

However, that being said, you're probably right that you can't do anything (physically) to fix this situation ^^;;;

I wouldn't be surprised, but if they were a troll, they seem like a fairly harmless one to me.

Well, I certainly don't think I'm the messiah of Serenes Forest. That would be Kiryn. And now that I think about it, perhaps I do take some things too seriously, but I also think that there's a lot of over criticism of people here. The word 'fail' should be banned too <_<

And I know that most of the things I do don't really help too much, but I'd rather do something and fail at it then never do anything and just watch things fall apart. Even if it's all in my head. I should take some medication....

*sees vincnet's first post*

.......I wont even say anything as i know the outcome. Hint Hint:Lyle getting offended and flaming happening

Someone seems spiteful....

no. I was just pointing out the obvious outcome. if i ever say anything that isnt patting your back you get offended.

That's not true. I get offended by the obnoxious way you present your opinion/joke. "ZOMG LYLE IS FAIL!" is bound to irk me. I get that it's a joke, it's just not that funny, and so the only emotion I'm left with is annoyance.

That's not true. I get offended by the obnoxious way you present your opinion/joke. "ZOMG LYLE IS FAIL!" is bound to irk me. I get that it's a joke, it's just not that funny, and so the only emotion I'm left with is annoyance.

ZMOG FAIYL

well if you must carry on this convo between us take it to PM or something

Meh. Everyone knows my opinion here, although I'll state it anyway, since a differing viewpoint is always good. :P

I really don't mind flaming, trolling, whatever. I love me some survival of the most intelligent, patient and humble. :) For example, Destiny Hero often acts like an idiot, and I think he's trolling us. Calling him out on it IS THE BEST WAY to solve the problem. Now, personally, I try to say things in a less inflammatory tone at first, but if that doesn't work I will eventually break into more offensive methods because it is one of the best ways of dealing with these problems. The first forum I ever joined was full of really smart, cool people. They weren't assholes, but they would point out, sometimes very harshly, how stupid some things you did were. I learned so much from that forum it isn't even funny. I'd like to think I'm no longer stupid, at the very least. :D

Remember, the best way to have people stop calling you a twat is to stop being a twat. :P

ZMOG FAIYL

well if you must carry on this convo between us take it to PM or something

I think it's relevant to the topic. Plus, you're the one who instigated the conversation. I just responded to it.