Fire Emblem Fates: Relocalization +

Rotted Fish

https://gamebanana.com/wips/62238

I’ve been working on this project for almost three years now, and I realized I’ve never actually posted it anywhere outside of discord servers and the mod site.

I would love to hear what you all think of the work, and where it can ultimately be improved.

Edited by Rotted Fish

As a general rule I don't think a relocalisation is what Fates needed because most problems stem from what they were localizing. Things like the rampant Shota/Lolicon or Soleil really didn't leave the devs much other options. And the problem with Garon likely wouldn't be fixed in translating either since the main problem was that he was a bland cartoonishly evil blob in the one game that really, really shouldn't have one of those. Of course there were also examples of genuine bad choices from the localisation team such as Beruka and Saizo's infamous support. 

Still from what I glance I do see plenty of favorable additions that go beyond just retranslating but adding more content that arguably should have been there. Playable Lilith, Supporters for the corrinsexuals and even more outfits for the character portrait. I may not be convinced of the need for a retranslation, but added content and context is always welcome, especially if they stem from or are inspired by the original material. 

On 12/26/2023 at 5:21 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

As a general rule I don't think a relocalisation is what Fates needed because most problems stem from what they were localizing. Things like the rampant Shota/Lolicon or Soleil really didn't leave the devs much other options. And the problem with Garon likely wouldn't be fixed in translating either since the main problem was that he was a bland cartoonishly evil blob in the one game that really, really shouldn't have one of those. Of course there were also examples of genuine bad choices from the localisation team such as Beruka and Saizo's infamous support. 

Still from what I glance I do see plenty of favorable additions that go beyond just retranslating but adding more content that arguably should have been there. Playable Lilith, Supporters for the corrinsexuals and even more outfits for the character portrait. I may not be convinced of the need for a retranslation, but added content and context is always welcome, especially if they stem from or are inspired by the original material. 

I had assumed the same at first, which is why the project was mainly intent on cleaning up the more egregious script errors and providing an addendum of sorts. But as I looked into the script more and more, I began to realize just how poorly localized the script really was. While I laud the localizers for doing what they could with the more..."unfortunate" aspects of the script, the way they changed things was (with no offense intended) fairly uninspired.

The goal of my project, therefore, is to make localization changes in the vein of Radiant Dawn, wherein things are changed using already existing material as the baseline for various changes. The changes range from fairly small, like Corrin knowing who "the mysterious songstress" was all along now, to rather large, like the child units now coming from deeprealms Anankos has already destroyed, creative a "parallel dimension" excuse of sorts, meaning the rather awkward age dynamics of various pairings can be side-stepped and altered in a less egregious manner. (Making them all adults anyways despite them obviously being underage)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 7:55 AM, Rotted Fish said:

I had assumed the same at first, which is why the project was mainly intent on cleaning up the more egregious script errors and providing an addendum of sorts. But as I looked into the script more and more, I began to realize just how poorly localized the script really was. While I laud the localizers for doing what they could with the more..."unfortunate" aspects of the script, the way they changed things was (with no offense intended) fairly uninspired.

The goal of my project, therefore, is to make localization changes in the vein of Radiant Dawn, wherein things are changed using already existing material as the baseline for various changes. The changes range from fairly small, like Corrin knowing who "the mysterious songstress" was all along now, to rather large, like the child units now coming from deeprealms Anankos has already destroyed, creative a "parallel dimension" excuse of sorts, meaning the rather awkward age dynamics of various pairings can be side-stepped and altered in a less egregious manner. (Making them all adults anyways despite them obviously being underage)

To be honest i don't feel any appreciation or sympahty towards that localizers they basically butchered the game through localizing imo if you don't like the original material either erase entirely or don't change real context, tweaking/changing "unfortunate" material not the way to do it so in the end its a mod just doing full uncensoring is okay to me