How exactly does the Blood Pact work?

It's been a while since I read about Tellius lore, but I still struggle a bit on how Blood Pacts in Tellius work.

If, say, some country broke an agreement on the blood pact or something, how exactly does someone die from it? How lethal are the effects of the blood pact's curse or whatever?

Also, does the Blood Pact have any effects on deities? Can the Blood Pact be used to subdue and control the strongest factions in fiction such as the Time Lords or the Xeelee Empire?

The Blood Pact inflicted on the Daein King by Ashnard was mistaken for a plague, so the death-by-broken-blood-pact probably presents itself in a manner similar to a terrible disease. The way Lekain describes it to Pelleas reinforces this, saying that, when one king (implied to be the King of Kilvas before Naesala) broke his blood pact, one person died the first day the pact was broken, then two the next day, and so on; starting with one individual dying and rapidly growing in number of deaths would look very similar to the outbreak of a terrible disease.

The blood pact seems to be made for binding rulers; when a ruler breaks the pact, it is the ruler's subjects that suffer the price. As such, though it is not directly stated, I think that rulers are all that the blood pact can bind.