Wander's Splices of Boredom

Agro

Well, it's summer holidays for Aussieland so I thought I might get back into spriting. I guess I'm warming up with some splices. Tell me what you think of them, and please, for god's sake, put some substance into your posts.

LittleGirlTheme_1_Coloured.png

The portrait I made for the Weekly Spriting Contest, which is now dead, but whatever...

Ian.png

Grena.png

Colin.png

I'm trying to see if I can get the first chapter for my FE7 mod that I'm working on by the end of this month, so I thought I'd get some portraits up and running.

I like. :3

They're simple, yet they all work well together.

Is that supposed to be the pampered way of saying "not enough variety"?

God, I need to get back into the groove properly. Do you think there is enough variety, or should I add more pieces from here and there? I deliberately didn't change too much so that the style wouldn't deviate, but I feel that they look too much like their old selves.

I guess you could call me an "experienced splicer"?

Edited by Wander

Well, no. I'm having trouble trying to word what I feel about them.

It's nothing bad though. Although they look simple, they are still good? :x

Oh... well, thanks. Anything you can point out in them that would make them slightly better?

Also, I realised the third one doesn't have shading at her neck. I'm going to go fix that...

Hmm... substance?

The first one: She doesn't have a middle smiling frame, though that isn't really an error in the spriting. She also has a random pixel on her chin in the frames where she isn't speaking. That segment of her hair under her ear has random pixels of the darkest shading color sticking out into the middle color. The lightest shade also connects with the darkest shade, making the shading look inconsistent. The back of the hair's shading goes straight up and down, while the actual hair curves inwards. The shading should flow with the hair instead of against it. The reflection on her armor is rather bright, though I'm aware that Amelia's armor does have that exact shading. The hair sticking out from under the right side of her face (our left) doesn't look quite connected to the rest. It feels like a pixel should be added on top of that top chunk to connect it to her face.

The second one: This sprite shows that sometimes, simple really /is/ better. The only things I see is that there's a stray pixel of the lightest skin tone that isn't quite connected to the rest on his right shoulder pad, and the back of his neck doesn't have much shading. However, seeing that Kent is exactly like that, this point might not be valid.

The third one: Her right eyebrow is very dark and straight, especially in comparison to the other one. That bit of hair on her right side sticking straight down looks stiff and solid, though that may have been your intention. The bit of hair going over her left shoulder pad looks very stiff as well, and the way it's shaded makes it look almost like gelatin. It doesn't fall on top of her armor like it should, resulting in the stiffness.

That last one (epic names, much? ._.): I can't say I like the colors, but feel free to ignore that. I just have something against bright red and blue together. His shirt has bits of red pixels in it where the darkest shade of blue should be, and on that last blinking frame, there are still pixels of white under his eyes. (Actually, on second thought, those two girls could have their blinking frames fixed up as well. A few darker pixels going up on the edges of their eyes to suggest eyelids would be nice. L'Arachel's a good ref if you need one). Finally, you get virtual cookies for de-creepifying Lance's eyes and splicing /well/ with Zeiss's hair.

Now it's time for my generic encouragement message. Good luck with spritin' and all that ;D

You were the only one that entered and I was busy and bored of running the contest due to the lack of activity... Also, the one you submitted had red armor and eyes, but that's beside the point. ^^

Er...I'm going to keep this really simple and short seeing as how I don't want to repeat anything the previous posters said.

second one: It's a tad simple, but it looks rather nice. =)

Third one: Something either about her forehead or her neck is "throwing me off".

fourth one: Can't say I'm a fan of the color scheme, but anyway...His hairline seems a bit too slanted.

Overall, nice job. And that's the end of my awful "review".

Edited by Fireman

Took a break from splicing, tried full custom:

Full_Custom_1.png

The one in the red square is the most recent version. Directly above it is a step backward, which is longer by two pixels. I'm not really happy with how the hair came out, but I think I handled the face pretty well.

Edited by Wander

• 3 weeks later...