The Battle of Barhara

Santino

It turned out I had less to write about it than expected, so the second paragraph is pretty much a recap of the end of chapter 5... Still, here it is.

Summary:

The Battle of Barhara is the last event of chapter 5 in Genealogy of the Holy War and the ending of Sigurd’s tale. Alvis plans the battle as one of the last steps towards uniting the continent with him as emperor. It is one of only two events in the series that show the death of a lord.

Details:

When Sigurd confronts General Aida in Velthomer after his army defeats Leptor, Aida greets Sigurd as though he were an innocent man. Aida tells him that his army is expected by the king, Alvis, and the Royal Guard for a ceremony near Barhara. When Sigurd approaches Barhara with his troops and meets the Royal Guard, he has a chat with Alvis. After a short conversation about the king, Alvis reveals that Sigurd is in fact still considered a traitor and sentenced to death. Alvis flaunts Diadora for a moment and then kills Sigurd. Sigurd’s troops find themselves trapped by the surrounding soldiers and are bombarded by the meteor spell.

It is unknown whether most of the playable characters from the first generation were killed or not, but some characters who definitely survived the battle are Fury, Tiltyu, Lachesis, Adean, Sylvia, Levin and Briggid. The people who managed to escape the battle, as well as those who died, were branded as traitors to the kingdom. The only living character at that point in time who had been playable yet who wasn't present was Fin.

Notes:

Any comments appreciated. Just to put something here, here is something I've been wondering (too lazy to check a language guide). Should words as king, queen and lord always start with a capital letter, or only before names like in "Lord Sigurd"?

Edited by etellerannet8

The only living character who had been playble who wasn't present was Fin.

I was thinking "Oifaye and Shannan" for a moment here, but they weren't playable, so never mind. They could do with a little mention, perhaps, but it's not needed.

Maybe mention that Deirdre/Diadora wanted to talk to Sigurd for a little longer and was dragged away against her will.

only before names like in "Lord Sigurd"?

This is correct. Also, Sigurd was personally killed by Alvis with the Falaflame spell. Also, Levin didn't survive, but he was later revived by Holsety and possessed by him. In this sense, Levin was still Levin and allowed to live as himself, but he was under the influence of the god Holsety.

Actually, I'm currently working on a reader-friendly version of the script from the language patch. I don't think Twilkitri will mind if I give you this link, though. (The patch source, go to the script folder, chapter 9 is fe4_09.txt)

I might edit the article later. Still haven't edited the Alvis one, though.

I wasn't reading the in-game story thoroughly, but was it stated that the Battle of Barhara is just the battle between Sigurd and Alvis, or was it the whole of Chapter 5?

Also, I think it could be a good idea to explain the fates of some of the characters in a little detail, like how Lachesis went missing in the Yied desert. Although I'm not sure if it would really fit with the article.

I wasn't reading the in-game story thoroughly, but was it stated that the Battle of Barhara is just the battle between Sigurd and Alvis, or was it the whole of Chapter 5?

Also, I think it could be a good idea to explain the fates of some of the characters in a little detail, like how Lachesis went missing in the Yied desert. Although I'm not sure if it would really fit with the article.

IIRC, the Battle of Barhara refers to the battle of Sigurd’s troops against the Empire’s armies leaded by Alvis. So it’s not just between Sigurd and Alvis, I think.

I don’t think that fit to the article, since Lachesis practically disappeared years after the battle. That wasn’t relevant anymore. =(

Though if you really want to mention on what happened to those who survived, you can give them the vague hints or something. Like…Tiltyu later was captured by Freege, Sylvia ended up in Darna, Fury went back to Silesia, etc. But I’m not sure on this.

IIRC, the Battle of Barhara refers to the battle of Sigurd’s troops against the Empire’s armies leaded by Alvis. So it’s not just between Sigurd and Alvis, I think.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. It wouldn't really be much of a battle between just two people XD

I don’t think that fit to the article, since Lachesis practically disappeared years after the battle. That wasn’t relevant anymore. =(

Hmm, you've got a point there. I was also thinking of having a separate article on the parents' fates, but I don't know how much content you could have for it. Anyway, I guess that's something for another day.

Edited by VincentASM

Well, I could write an article about all that is known to happen during the gap between gen 1 and gen 2, but I don't know if that would fit with the overall theme of the articles. I'm open for opinions on that.

Edit:

Hmm, you've got a point there. I was also thinking of having a separate article on the parents' fates, but I don't know how much content you could have for it. Anyway, I guess that's something for another day.

I think I have enough content, but it wouldn't be too long (hence the thought of an article for all the events in the gap).

Edited by etellerannet7

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. It wouldn't really be much of a battle between just two people XD

The problem is, we don’t know what happened to most of 1st Gen characters. I’m mean, sure we all know what happened to the mothers, but what about the fathers? I can imagine Alec, Noish, and Adan were practically dead, as they are very loyal to Sigurd. But Azel? Lex? Jamka? We (or maybe it’s just me) don’t know what happened to them.

The list of people I know part of what happened to is Diadora, Levin, Edin, Sylvia, Bridget, Tiltyu, Lachesis and Fury. I think those are all whom it is told what happened to as well. Though I don't thnk everyone has to be mentioned.

The list of people I know part of what happened to is Diadora, Levin, Edin, Sylvia, Bridget, Tiltyu, Lachesis and Fury. I think those are all whom it is told what happened to as well. Though I don't thnk everyone has to be mentioned.

Yes, basically it's just the mothers and Levin. ^^;;;

The rest of them, IIRC, were either dead or being turned to stone.

Well, if Vincent said that he wants to make an article about the parents' fates, I think it would be fair to include all of the 1st Gen characters, since they all can be the parents. :unsure:

It looks good enough. ^^

Though....

but some characters who definately survived the battle are Fury, Tiltyu, Lachesis, Adean, Sylvia, Levin and Briggid.

Shouldn't it be definitely?

I'm not so sure on this, since my spelling and grammar aren't good at all. ^^;

And I think I will mention this in here too...

After the events of Geneaology of Holy War, Fin leaves Prince Leaf and goes to fulfill an unknown personal agenda.

How's this? X D

I like the layout with picture etc. as usual. I'm not really happy with the way the article itself turned out, but I don't mind it being out there.

It looks good enough. ^^

Though....

Shouldn't it be definitely?

I'm not so sure on this, since my spelling and grammar aren't good at all. ^^;

And I think I will mention this in here too...

Definately vs definitely - "definately" felt natural while writing it, but now I have no idea. I don't have an english dictionary.

The other thing - yeah...

Edit: fixed typo

Edited by etellerannet7

Can I still review this? XD

The Battle of Barhara is the last event of chapter 5 in Genealogy of the Holy War and the ending toof Sigurd’s tale. Alvis plans the battle as one of the last steps towards uniting the continent with him as emperor. It is one of only two events in the series withthat shows the death of a lord.
Details

When Sigurd confronts General Aida in Velthomer after his army defeats Leptor, Aida greets Sigurd as though he were an innocent man. Aida tells him that his army is expected by the king, Alvis, and the Royal Guard for a ceremony near Barhara. When Sigurd approaches Barhara with his troops and meets the Royal Guard, he starts a talk with Alvishe has a chat with Alvis. After a short conversation about the king, Alvis reveals that Sigurd iswas in fact still considered a traitor and sentenced him to death. Alvis shows offflaunts Diadora for a moment and then kills Sigurd. Sigurd’s troops find themselves trapped by the surrounding soldiers and are attacked by fire magesbombarded by the with the meteor spell.

It is unknown whether most of the playbleplayable characters from the first generation were killed or not, but some characters who definatelydefinitely survived the battle arewere Fury, Tiltyu, Lachesis, Adean, Sylvia, Levin and Briggid. The people who managed to escape the battle, as well as those who died, were branded as traitors to the kingdom. The only living character at that point in time who had been playble whoplayable yet wasn't present was Fin.
Edited by Eltoshen

Sure, I'll do an edit eventually and edit this post once it's done.

Your comments look good (a few times I laugh at myself for the silly way of writing things) except for one thing that doesn't sound right to me:

Aida tells him that his army is expected by the king, Alvis, and the Royal Guard for a ceremony near Barhara.

And I don't recall having heard the verb "flaunt" before, but that's probably just me and I'll use it.

Well, you were making a list, right? In that case, the sentence is grammatically correct. It basically means that the king, Alvis, and the Royal Guard are waiting for him.

Oh yes, flaunt. Go dictionary.com it or something. It basically means:

"3. to parade or display ostentatiously: to flaunt one's wealth. "

Edited by Eltoshen

I made an edit with Eltoshen's suggestions. I used most but not all of them.

Well, you were making a list, right? In that case, the sentence is grammatically correct. It basically means that the king, Alvis, and the Royal Guard are waiting for him.

Oh yes, flaunt. Go dictionary.com it or something. It basically means:

"3. to parade or display ostentatiously: to flaunt one's wealth. "

Yeah, it was a list, but is there really supposed to be a comma before the "and"? It's not in Norwegian, and I haven't noticed it in books in English.

Thanks for flaunt. It's got a ring to it.

Oh yes, you should put a comma when you're making a list. If they're related...like "dogs, cars, peanut butter and jelly", then no, you don't put a comma before the and. To make it simple, if you list more than 2 things, just put a comma before the and.