The Concept of Debating

Destiny Hero

Some people actually have fun arguing things about the game. You know, that one thing we like to call a HOBBY. It doesn't accomplish anything when looking at the game, but new debates offer new material for us debaters to discuss, and as long as we enjoy it, it's all fine. We don't care it has no impact on the game.

You could argue the same thing for anything. Like, er, playing video games.

Basically, when you play a video game, you do something.

That video game will never have an impact on life, no matter what, or any life after it.

Now ask yourself: Why, and what is it going to accomplish?

As long as they have fun doing it, I don't see anything bad about it. Except, possibly, when debates leak to "casual" threads, but that's another story.

Edited by VincentASM

First, debating skills can actually be very useful in real life, considering our persuasion-based scientific and social systems - so, honing them through actual practice, no matter the subject, is perfectly valid.

Second, in order to debate, one (desirably) has to research data about the matter he is debating, thus improving his mastery over the game and his standing in a niche community.

Third, some people seemingly have fun doing it.

So, yeah.

Edited by TheEnd

As long as they have fun doing it, I don't see anything bad about it. Except, possibly, when debates leak to "casual" threads, but that's another story.

If by "casual threads" you mean "threads in which opinions are stated", then I agree. If you mean topics in which the topic creator asks for the best X, then I disagree.

Edited by Tino

If by "casual threads" you mean "threads in which opinions are stated", then I agree. If you mean topics in which the topic creator asks for the best X, then I disagree.

The concepts of "the best X" and "casual thread" aren't mutually exclusive.

The latter seems like grey area to me, since the topic creator might be unaware of the fact that characters can be "debated". However, besides that, I'd agree that there's no reason for debating not to be allowed in such topics.

The one thing I don't like about debating is the occasional instance where someone acts like they're better and smarter than someone else because that someone else has a differing opinion. I don't see that here very often, but I've seen it in other places.

I used to debate quite a bit years ago, but not so much anymore. In and of itself, there isn't anything wrong with debating. It's actually quite common, even in fandoms dedicated to games other than Fire Emblem. The only time I really have a problem with debating is when it derails a discussion that was clearly not intended for debating or when people are just plain being jerks about it. The former was actually fairly common on FESS a few years back, so much so that we had to put the foot down. Luckily, it hasn't been much of a problem around here.

Basically, when you have a debate, you argue about something.

That debate will never have an impact on the game, no matter what, or any game after it.

According to Camus (not the FEDS dude), life lacks meaning, so why don't we all kill ourselves?

The one thing I don't like about debating is the occasional instance where someone acts like they're better and smarter than someone else because that someone else has a differing opinion. I don't see that here very often, but I've seen it in other places.
This usually happens when somebody trains a character to 20/20 and calls him/her good, without being informed of what qualifies as a good character to most reasonable people.

It’s the matter of standing for what you believe? Because it was fun?

I’m not a fan of debate, but I do have fun to see other people debate over. You should try read some. =/

Holy shit. You completely missed the point of The Myth of Sisyphus didn't you. :o

Actually, I've only read The Stranger. I probably should have said that only the "life lacks meaning" part is attributable to Camus >.> the second part was intended to be a misinterpretation.

Basically, when you have a debate, you argue about something.

That debate will never have an impact on the game, no matter what, or any game after it.

for some debating is fun, also I've learned new things about games by debating.

thank god for spell check I can't spell debating to save my life.