Reviving units in Thracia

Beetlejuice

Hello, everyone!

So my friend is doing a blind ironman of Thracia for the first time, and I'm meant to be his navigator. Problem is, I forgot about 8x, gave him certain information, and so he took certain risks that led to Tanya getting splatted.  Doing some research, the best course seems to be this ancient Action Replay code list from 2001 on GameFaqs, [https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/577344-fire-emblem-thracia-776/faqs/11522] but there's no indication for living/dead status. There's been very little information on this topic since that I can find, unfortunately.

Is there a way I can cheat in Tanya not being a corpse for my friend? Either through this method, a save editor, unpacking it in Python or something, really any method would work.

I made a google search right now and couldn't find anything. How far did he go after Tanya's death? If you two think it was an unfair death, can't he just go back on his last save state (or even restart the chapter) to avoid her death?

I don't know anything about save editors, etc, so maybe there is some way, but I didn't find anything about that. You can ask around for save states too if you think it's worth it.

All I found was this list with cheats on GameFaqs, I don't know exactly how it's gonna work cause I didn't test it myself, but maybe you can select Tanya's code and choose her HP to be anything above 0. I don't know, good luck to you and your friend.

Also just out of curiosity, what was it that you told him (the "certain information") and what where the risks he took?

Do you mean that your friend isn't able to go to 8x, because Tanya died? If so, I would say that's just one of the aspects of playing an Ironman. If a chapter has certain access conditions, and the player fails to satisfy them, then they don't get to go to that chapter. 

If you do want to "fix" the situation, though, then I don't think adjusting Tanya's HP is the way to go about it. It's not as though she'd rejoin in 8x with whatever HP she had at the end of chapter 3, for instance! Rather, her death likely set off a "flag" somewhere. With that flag raised, 8x is no longer available. If you can find the flag, and "lower" it, then 8x should become playable. With Dagdar and Tanya rejoining as usual.

9 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

How far did he go after Tanya's death? If you two think it was an unfair death, can't he just go back on his last save state (or even restart the chapter) to avoid her death?
Also just out of curiosity, what was it that you told him (the "certain information") and what where the risks he took?

Well, there's the problem. It was all the way back in chapter 2 or 3, and I had forgotten that Tanya was actually important for anything because that period of the game has a ton of people who aren't, between Marty, Osian, Ronan, and honestly most of the Fanna Freeblades. I knew Dagdar was important later, but I totally blanked on the otherwise unremarkable early-game archer, and now we're finishing up chapter 6 and Eyvel's just been frozen, so it's been a fairly sizable amount of progress. It wasn't an explicitly unfair death, but he was taking risks with her that he wouldn't have if he had thought a character might lead to something later, under the impression that she was essentially disposable. 

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

If so, I would say that's just one of the aspects of playing an Ironman. If a chapter has certain access conditions, and the player fails to satisfy them, then they don't get to go to that chapter. 

While I agree in most instances, on this one I feel I failed in my duty as a navigator to give him the ideal Thracia experience, which involves going to 8x and seeing that content.  

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

With that flag raised, 8x is no longer available. If you can find the flag, and "lower" it, then 8x should become playable.

That's how I figure it, too. I'm not much of a computer sleuth so I figured I'd ask around a bit before I go off on my own to try work it out manually, see if anyone else has figured out what the flag is for dead or alive, and save myself from trying to brute-force it with a pretty limited understanding. I'm not asking anyone to go out of their way for me, of course, but I would've felt like a real fool if I spent a long time trying to work it out only to discover it was already known somewhere.

4 hours ago, Beetlejuice said:

That's how I figure it, too. I'm not much of a computer sleuth so I figured I'd ask around a bit before I go off on my own to try work it out manually, see if anyone else has figured out what the flag is for dead or alive, and save myself from trying to brute-force it with a pretty limited understanding. I'm not asking anyone to go out of their way for me, of course, but I would've felt like a real fool if I spent a long time trying to work it out only to discover it was already known somewhere.

Maybe folks in the "Fan Projects" subforum would know? Anyone who has made a hack of Thracia 776 - or even a fanslation project, like "Li'l Manster" - would be your best bet.

4 hours ago, Beetlejuice said:

While I agree in most instances, on this one I feel I failed in my duty as a navigator to give him the ideal Thracia experience, which involves going to 8x and seeing that content.  

I... guess I don't understand the function of a "navigator" in a "blind ironman". If the player is getting advice from someone familiar with the game, then it's hardly a "blind" experience. But if you want to continue offering advice, then I think the player needs to expect that you won't give 100% information for every eventuality. It's just not possible.

1 minute ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Maybe folks in the "Fan Projects" subforum would know? Anyone who has made a hack of Thracia 776 - or even a fanslation project, like "Li'l Manster" - would be your best bet.

I... guess I don't understand the function of a "navigator" in a "blind ironman". If the player is getting advice from someone familiar with the game, then it's hardly a "blind" experience. But if you want to continue offering advice, then I think the player needs to expect that you won't give 100% information for every eventuality. It's just not possible.

And it it were possible it would be virtually indistinguishable to just looking it up on line.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yes, this. making your first run be both blind and an iron man would naturally result in unseen content, otherwise play it blind first and THEN ironman, don't you think your friend was already considering stuff like this would happen? Or he expressed some kind of disappointment over it? Either case, don't worry much, if he likes the game he'll probably play it again someday, it's only human to miss some things.

If you think you might forget something else important, as your friend's navigator, then see if this non spoilers guide is useful for your friend (or for you, to navigate your friend, you can not give him some parts of info from here if you want him to figure the harder things for himself too, or just to not forget anything): https://www.dropbox.com/s/biju21gjr4vcfw7/thracia 776 guide.docx?e=1