Is there any way to hide profile pics?

I'm guessing that this is going to be a great big "nope", but I figure I may as well ask just to be sure. Is there any way to hide other users' profile pictures? There are a few people on this site with pics that I'd really rather not look at (specifically, those with animated gifs as profile pics, which have all sorts of accessibility issues). I know there are ways I can block these through my browser, but they are kinda awkward and it would be nice to have a native forum option.

this used to be possible many (like 10) years ago, to save on bandwidth for the user, but the options been long deprecated and no legacy of it remains in the ip.board backend that i could dig up

sorry to report

13 hours ago, lenticular said:

I'm guessing that this is going to be a great big "nope", but I figure I may as well ask just to be sure. Is there any way to hide other users' profile pictures? There are a few people on this site with pics that I'd really rather not look at (specifically, those with animated gifs as profile pics, which have all sorts of accessibility issues). I know there are ways I can block these through my browser, but they are kinda awkward and it would be nice to have a native forum option.

this is a great idea, i agree with it. which leads me to a question..what do you think happened to the Member Badges for Everyone? are you able to see who other people choose as their (main) Lord or Lordess? it may be an important foundational question for your next native forum fix

1 hour ago, Integrity said:

this used to be possible many (like 10) years ago, to save on bandwidth for the user, but the options been long deprecated and no legacy of it remains in the ip.board backend that i could dig up

sorry to report

thanks for the report, would you able to investigate the issue outlined in the content above?

thanks

I've always wished gifs just couldn't be used as profile pics.

And, let's be honest: the one that prompted this topic is probably a bot.

I used to have something set up to do this, but I haven't had it around for a while. I think it was a part of my uBlock, so if you're using that I can try to reverse-engineer them from whatever notes I have and a little bit of lab-work.

13 hours ago, Integrity said:

Ah well. Thanks for taking the time to look, regardless.

9 hours ago, Florete said:

And, let's be honest: the one that prompted this topic is probably a bot.

Regardless of the immediate proximate cause of this topic, there are a few other people here with animated profile pics, and I mostly like and respect them apart from the part where I don't want to have to look at their blinking shit.

46 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I used to have something set up to do this, but I haven't had it around for a while. I think it was a part of my uBlock, so if you're using that I can try to reverse-engineer them from whatever notes I have and a little bit of lab-work.

Yeah, I've ended up resorting to uBlock for this. It's kinda awkward, like I said in the OP, but it does (at least seem to) work, so I don't need any help. Thanks for the offer, though.

Seconding the sentiments expressed in this thread. I do wish there was either an option to turn off animated GIF avatars or just for us not to have them at all. I find animations quite distracting.

(I fully respect that I'm hanging out on these forums without paying a dime and I do not expect the mods to do unpaid work just to make me happy, so I'll deal with it, but figured I'd make my voice heard.)

• 3 weeks later...

make a userstyle with something like Stylus and add

"

.ipsUserPhoto {
display: none;
}

"
(also you might want to add ".cAuthorPane_badge--rank" to that otherwise it'll look weird on post where users have badges)

hope this helps 🙂