If a Gen 9 Pokémon got in, who would you pick?

I know Gen 9 is…pretty contentious for multiple reasons, and for all we know Gen 10 might be out by the time Smash 6 comes out, but I mainly wanted to discuss Gen 9 as long as it’s still relevant.

If the stars did align in Gen 9’s favor and a Pokémon from Paldea got an invite, who would be your pick? For me, one of three options:

1. Gholdengo (not only because of its status as Pokémon #1000, but mostly because I like the little string cheese surfer dude)
  2. Meowscarada
  3. Tinkaton

Koraidon and Miraidon would be interesting as Echo Fighters, though if it has to be a starter Meowscarada is the obvious pick. Tinkaton would be novel for the large hammer. Ceruledge is cool, but with blades for hands, how is it going to use items?

I would say Meowscarada since we did have Incineroar as a second Fire Pokémon fighter and Greninja as a second Water Pokémon fighter for SSB series. I do feel like adding another Fire Pokémon would be too much for the entire Pokémon Reps in the SSBU roster. People included myself wanted Decidueye as the next Pokémon Newcomer in SSBU before Incineroar was announced. (Plus, as well as including another Bow User into the Roster as well.) I still like to see another Grass-type be added with the entire non-Kanto Full Starter Evolutions.

Edited by King Marth 64

16 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I still like to see another Grass-type be added with the entire non-Kanto Full Starter Evolutions.

Yep, Meowscarada would round this out quite effectively.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:55 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'd pick Ceruledge

With Armorouge as an alt costume, or maybe even an Echo Fighter?

17 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Ceruledge is cool, but with blades for hands, how is it going to use items?

With its mouth, like Pichu!

Anyway, one that came to my mind is Cyclizar. We've not yet had a playable Dragon-type Pokemon. It could have typical attacks on that front (i.e. Dragon Rush, Dragon Pulse), as well as its signature Shed Tail (I'm thinking a "warp" maneuver that damages itself, but provides brief invulnerability afterward).

Maybe it could also have "Tera-type options": Electric to make it speedier (and give it a thundery Tera Blast), Fighting to make it hit harder (and give it a "flurry-of-fists" Tera Blast), or Normal to improve its durability (and give it a beam-like Tera Blast). I'm imagining it could "Tera" once per match, and once it dies while Tera'd, it can't do it again.

Finally, the Final Smash. It would depend upon the "Tera Type". Normal, it's just a classic Hyper Beam. Electric, Miraidon shows up to do an Electro Drift. And Fighting, Koraidon comes forth to deliver a Collision Course.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking. Even if it's not Cyclizar, it would be neat if the Gen IX representative were to exhibit the Terastallization mechanic.