Calling out to the forest

maru

Posted (edited)

Hi there. I'm maru. I've been playing FE since Fates, and I've completed it, Three Houses, and Engage, as well as both Warriors games (edit: oh and TMS#FE! Which I really liked even though it's yet another Persona-lite).

I'm going through Awakening now and I've been sort of afraid of everything before. I started playing a translation patch of New Mystery of the Emblem on my 3DS a few years ago but I kept getting stuck even on Normal mode; it's weird because on most post-Awakening games I can hold my own on Hard mode fine (with the exception of Engage's DLC, which is balanced sort of bizarrely). I've been trying to learn how to become a better tactician so I am not constantly resetting my game, and maybe eventually I can go back and play the previous games. I really enjoyed the QoL of just resetting a turn if I screw up...

I'm not sure what else people report about themselves in introduction threads, but that's my FE experience. I hope to see you around.

Edited by maru

Posted (edited)

Well I'm sure your journey into previous games will go well. Permadeath is nothing to be afraid of. A Fire Emblem game is what, about 25 chapters. You could lose an average of one unit each map and still have too many to deploy for the finale. And with so many games under your belt you probably won't be making the typical beginners mistakes. Moment to Moment Fire Emblem is assessing the situation and knowing the workload your units are capable of without putting their life at risk. It's also my experience that the games that don't feature reclassing are generally better balanced around their difficulty, because the game developers did know what sorts of units you have and how many of each class. 

PS: I also put down FE12 before finishing it, so I don't blame you there. I would sooner recommend the GBA games.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I appreciate the vote of confidence!

25 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Well I'm sure your journey into previous games will go well. Permadeath is nothing to be afraid of. A Fire Emblem game is what, about 25 chapters. You could lose an average of one unit each map and still have too many to deploy for the finale.

Well, the current way I play is that letting even one unit die is not allowed, so if one dies I just reset. I often found that if I let go of someone and went back and read a walkthrough or whatever, they would end up being super important if I just saved them!

27 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Moment to Moment Fire Emblem is assessing the situation and knowing the workload your units are capable of without putting their life at risk.

Playing around the crit, so to speak? Always pretending it's a Nuzlocke and you're modelling the battle system in your head? I tend to find when I screw up, it's because I misjudged who all the enemies would swarm, and didn't bait well enough with my stronger characters. I'm not sure how much reinforcement maps figure into older games -- otherwise, turtling seems optimal a lot of the time...

I'm pretty much the same as you where you play too well to be a novice but not well enough to be an expert, I also suffer from the need to keep absolutely everyone alive (on the first playthrough at least) so I'll tell you what I tell myself...

Stop stressing about it, you started playing because it's fun so maybe turn the difficulty down or take a short break from the game to reassess what you're doing wrong. Also in awakening after the early game don't be afraid to grind a little to keep everyone roughly the same level or to boost any supports you want.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, FE7-10 are mostly easier than FE13 onward (except maybe Echoes). I've always felt there are a lot more strategic options in Awakening, Fates, Three Houses and Engage than in those titles I mentioned already, especially due to reclassing and skills. I haven't beaten FE7 on HHM and I haven't beaten FE8 on hard mode though (I'm close though...I just need to save the pontifex...).

I've been trying to learn how to become a better tactician so I am not constantly resetting my game, and maybe eventually I can go back and play the previous games.

See, I always felt that mostly, the ones I mentioned take a lot less time to predict, or at least they did when I played them. Meanwhile, I don't think I'll ever be rigorous enough to account for things like battalions, chain attacks, pair up bonuses and personal skills.

Well anyways, welcome!

If you're looking to get into the older FE games and also get better at FE, I recommend playing doing an ironman (a run where you are not allowed to restart chapters) run of FE7. It's a very easy game on Eliwood Normal Mode and it's very forgiving in terms of unit deaths because you get a lot of strong pre-promotes in the mid-game and late-game (Isadora, Hawkeye, Pent, Harken, Geitz, Vaida, Athos etc.). Don't worry too much if a unit dies early on because you will get more units later on. Ironman runs also teach a lot of skills that will make you better at strategizing overall.

Even if you're not willing to do an Ironman run, I still recommend playing FE7, it's a great game for newcomers.