The LOTR: The War of the Rohirrim

XRay

I was browsing Reddit yesterday and I thought I came across leaked screenshots of a new Fire Emblem game. My excitement quickly died a little when I looked closer and realized it is anime movie about the Lord of the Rings. I am still excited since Lord of the Rings is cool and the art looks really nice, but yeah, I would have been more excited if it was a movie about Fire Emblem. Haha.

But seriously, the art style is so remininscent of Fire Emblem it is uncanny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/1ddhw8w/three_images_from_the_war_of_the_rohirrim/

This interesting, I like LOTR and my mom loves it so I may have finally found an anime we can watch together.  There was a "Lost Tales" about Rohan so this could use that as the source material.  Rohan was always my favorite LOTR country, so this being about Rohan makes me interested.

4 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

This interesting, I like LOTR and my mom loves it so I may have finally found an anime we can watch together.  There was a "Lost Tales" about Rohan so this could use that as the source material.  Rohan was always my favorite LOTR country, so this being about Rohan makes me interested.

I would assume that they're in a similar position to Rings of Power where they only have the rights to LotR and The Hobbit but not to Lost Tales or The Silmarilion, so they have to extrapolate from the stuff in LotR's appendices instead.

I''m getting heavy Netflix Castlevania vibes from the artstyle too.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:

I would assume that they're in a similar position to Rings of Power where they only have the rights to LotR and The Hobbit but not to Lost Tales or The Silmarilion, so they have to extrapolate from the stuff in LotR's appendices instead.

To me, it feels like there's an obvious place to go for making a Middle Earth adaptation in our current climate. We have the following.

*An overly litigious Tolkien estate who hampers what you can adapt

*People who have high strung opinions on race (both in presenting it authentically and having it at all)

*Fans who will absolutely gut you for messing with the lore.

What's the solution to make everyone here happy (or not mad in the Tolkien estate case)? Show us what Tolkien didn't write about. Set a story in the east or south! Let us see that part of the world that Tolkien didn't focus on, but in-universe was still a central part of the conflict. There's practically no lore to step on, you get to have your non-white races without it feeling shoehorned (in fact, the cast would be almost predominantly non white, though I'm sure you could throw a Gondorian or something in there to connect it more to the main setting). Even if the story ends up sucking it'd still be worth existing because it expands the scope of the world and could build a foundation for what the outside cultures are like in the setting. We'd get to actually see the two blue wizards Tolkien never bothered to name,but, best of all, we'd get to see loads more of the coolest thing in Tolkien's entire mythos that for inexplicably reasons haven't become established in cookie cutter Tolkien fantasy, the giant ass war elephants! 70% of the budget goes directly towards the Mumukai CGI.

Edited by Jotari

12 hours ago, lenticular said:

Well there is a fair bit on Rohan there so they could do well as long as they do a deep dive in to the appendices.  The appendices get in to a lot of detail on the Rohan kings and on some of the battles they fought so there is still a decent chance of this being accurate to the lore and interesting to the watcher.