Brawl Mains / Secondaries

Choppy

Why do people list more than one character as their "main?"

A main is a character used in a majority of your matchups, while secondaries are counterpicks to compensate for the main's/player's bad matchups.

Cause a lot of us use more than one character quite often. I can't speak for anyone else but for me, it gets boring playing as the same character over and over again. Then again, I'm not even close to pro level and I don't intend to be anytime soon. I just play as my favourite characters and have fun with them.

Why do people list more than one character as their "main?"

A main is a character used in a majority of your matchups, while secondaries are counterpicks to compensate for the main's/player's bad matchups.

Ignore KSFF's statement, it has nothing to do with why people list more than one character as their main.

Most of us have multiple characters that we can use in all match-ups, and will use in all match-ups, while the rest of our characters aren't as versitile. For example, Peach is probably my best character ATM (save for Yoshi, my Yoshi will always be my best) if I'm in a favorable match-up and on a stage that benefits Peach. I don't "main" her though because I don't do so well on Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Stadium 1, or Lylat Cruise, and I can't do shit against MetaKnight's or ROB's. King Dedede, on the other hand, isn't my best character at all, but I find I'm consistent with him and thereby I can play him at a fairly good level against any of my opponents (yes, even light characters that I can't chaingrab). Same goes for my Toon Link because I can adjust my playstyle (read: amount of bombs used) depending on how well my opponent can control my items (In other words, no bombs against Diddy or Peach, lots of bombs against most G-Dub, MetaKnight, and Marth since people who main them usually don't control items very well.)

Also, I know there are quite a few members here who don't play counterpicks, and play the characters they're good as until they get bored, then start playing a new character.

Most of us have multiple characters that we can use in all match-ups, and will use in all match-ups, while the rest of our characters aren't as versitile. For example, Peach is probably my best character ATM (save for Yoshi, my Yoshi will always be my best) if I'm in a favorable match-up and on a stage that benefits Peach. I don't "main" her though because I don't do so well on Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Stadium 1, or Lylat Cruise, and I can't do shit against MetaKnight's or ROB's. King Dedede, on the other hand, isn't my best character at all, but I find I'm consistent with him and thereby I can play him at a fairly good level against any of my opponents (yes, even light characters that I can't chaingrab). Same goes for my Toon Link because I can adjust my playstyle (read: amount of bombs used) depending on how well my opponent can control my items (In other words, no bombs against Diddy or Peach, lots of bombs against most G-Dub, MetaKnight, and Marth since people who main them usually don't control items very well.)

Makes sense. But wouldn't one of them still be your main - that is, the one that you use in the most cases? It's impossible to "fairly balance" character usage to justify having two mains.

Also, I know there are quite a few members here who don't play counterpicks, and play the characters they're good as until they get bored, then start playing a new character.

That would be switching mains =O

Makes sense. But wouldn't one of them still be your main - that is, the one that you use in the most cases? It's impossible to "fairly balance" character usage to justify having two mains.

Well the way I see it, and the way you put it, a main is somebody you can pick without knowing what stage you're going to or who your opponent is going to play as. They don't necessarily have to be your "best character", just the character you seem to be most versitile with.

That would be switching mains =O
Not if you're doing it in the middle of a set...

Main: Marth

Secondaries: Sonic, Zelda/Sheik, Lucas, Ness

Like playing with: (all of the above) Pit, Olimar, Kirby

Stages: Battlefield, Bridge of Eldin, Castle Siege, Halberd

Though I doubt my main stands a chance to your secondaries, Im not that good.