The Mafia to End all Mafias - GAME OVER

Sunwoo

11 minutes ago, Shinori said:

You also said previously that I was drawing red flags on myself but when I asked about this you didn't respond, maybe you missed it.

It was the suspicious stuff you were saying about how you have an anti-town role but definitely aren't scum (and even if it was a joke, you saying you wouldn't lead newbies astray). While you've seen me try to understand that I'm still not 100% sure that this isn't some bizarre double bluff. I'm happy to undo my vote on you, but since all the other votes (save yours for me) are random right now anyway what difference does it make right now anyway?

Still, it's probably not a good precedent to start the game with tit-for-tat votes so:

##Unvote: @Shinori

(P.S. The votes don't need to be bold, do they? I thought it's just the two hashes that are needed.)

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Not sure what ROA means but the rest is correct. While I partly defended Shinori I'm still slightly suspicious of them. My vote for them was mostly to counteract their vote for me, but as I said earlier I'll change it once we get a better idea of where everyone stands and if anyone seems super suspicious. Taking Shinori at their word they're probably an Ascetic at best or Veteran at worst.

I'm doing my best to parse what everyone has to say but there's so little to pick out right now, I simply don't have much to contribute right now is the problem. How Eurykins generates walls of speculation out of seemingly nothing is beyond me and I envy her for it.

Also from what I gather, SF uses a rotating list of roles instead of having a set number of them and adding/ removing them until all players get one, so it's not like I can metagame this either.

Do you mean you defended Shinori this game?

I didn't notice you defending them. When you say you are counteracting their vote, does that mean you do suspect them or are you only voting for them because they are voting for you?

5 minutes ago, JamieIsBored said:

Why would Vet announce inthread? Surely the whole point is to make scum want to kill them.

Missed this, my bad! You're right. I was just thinking out loud about why Shinori would make a claim like that almost immediately. Mafia would already know they're town if they are so on the surface all it'd do is make town wary of investigating them. Veteran's the only role I can think of that would also scare Mafia off from interacting with them.

3 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

When you say you are counteracting their vote, does that mean you do suspect them or are you only voting for them because they are voting for you?

Mostly the latter, but I undid my vote. I'm still a bit suspicious, but we'll see how things play out.

3 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

I defended Shinori from myself, if that makes sense? As I said above, I tried to reason out why they would say something so baity right away.

5 minutes ago, JamieIsBored said:

Regardless of Alignment.

And thank you! I know one of the help threads had a bunch of acronyms but I see I still have a lot to learn/ remember 😛

##Unvote

Possibly worth just using our extension today since marth is MiA part of the day but we'll see what happens as the day progresses.  Gonna wait for other people to be around and what not.

Votals
Shinori (1): Eurykins
Ichigo (1): Jamie

Not voting (7): Shinori, DefyingFates, Bluedoom, Aster, Elieson, Fire Emblem Fan, Ichigo

I think these are right.

D1 ends in approximately 29 hours. There will be no hammer on D1.

Probably give em a bit.

Elie can be busy during the day's if anything maybe just a reminder might be needed that the game has started to him via discord but he will probably be around and I don't want to spam the game too much like I've done before and scare off people.

Eury will check the thread sometime today I'm sure.

Fire emblem fan is new so I don't know about them.

Marth is apparently just going to be MiA for part of day 1, which is why I asked about extension early.

It is the weekend so I'm hoping we should have time over the next day or 2 to get some discussion and talking going because it also might help Aster and DF get more involved than just me pushing DF here.  Once marth, elie, and eury can start making posts I think we can get good discussion going.

Slept a bit longer than expected, but I guess late night gaming will do that sometimes. Ugh.

12 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Last time Shinori reminded me lynching is always a good thing so I randomly voted for someone who'd spoken earlier in the thread, but that backfired hard and made everyone think I was scum. (So while I want to be more proactive this time, I also want to wait a bit before voting.)

I can understand being gun-shy about voting others again in order to consolidate wagons for D1.
However, I do believe there were other reasons (outside of the voting/not voting issue) that caused your slot to seem worse alignment/intention wise.

For one, there was the issue of lack of casing/your own reads on the other players, and the voting/retracting of the vote over a claim that most people didn't find Alignment indicative (I believe he was the Motivator scum). There was also the unwillingness to at least focus on the top wagons of that day phase, and hopping on/off votes near the end of the phase (which could have contributed to a NO LYNCH) is extremely dangerous to do, as townside needs to be willing to consolidate and focus on scum hunting or else scum gets a free pass-to-go for the day phase.

Remember: Townside's only weapon for the most part to remove scum are the LYNCHES. Many games I've played lack any form of Vig or other actual townsided roles that are meant to kill during night phases, so this is our most potent weapon by far to remove threats. Hindering that effort or doing things that can cause us to have a No Lynch are generally anti-town, which is why scum will still wagon others as well to fabricate townsided intentions, albeit for mislynches in their favors.

(Voting should be done accordingly, but outside of RVS, it shouldn't be thrown about without warrant or supporting intentions/reads on slots imo.)

12 hours ago, Shinori said:

Enough about my role, that's old news. That's like a whole page or 2 ago!

##Vote: @DefyingFates

I am now off to bed!  Consider my vote a serious one for now, unlike my Ichigo vote.

Welcome to your second game of mafia!

12 hours ago, Shinori said:

A mixture of teaching maybe but also I'm feeling some vibes from you that could be scum.

Can you tell me more about the Vibes on DF? What's different than last game, when they were townside?

11 hours ago, JamieIsBored said:

Me, myself and I :P:

Since you asked me so nicely

##Unvote
##Vote: @Ichigo

@JamieIsBored What were your thoughts outside of jokes for Shinori to put votes on Ichigo- any intentions either direction?

7 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

In that case:

##Vote: @Shinori

I'll let that be my vote for now for the reasons mentioned at the top of this page and see if anyone looks suspicious or there's a bandwagon near the end of D1. Also I just realized you saying your role is anti-town also doubles as a warning to investigator roles since you might be a veteran or some other role with an auto-self defence ability.

Gotcha, thanks!

Unless you intend to be gone for the majority of the rest of D1, the bolded portion implies that you will be sitting on Shinori vote until someone else's claim/wagon appears concluding the day phase. Tell me: What are your thoughts on any of the other players so far, outside of Shinori? Why wait until near the end of the day phase to read/look into others posts as well? Why not pro-actively scum hunt with the rest of the players, and push to progress the scum hunting as well? 

*I don't know if this is a difference in playstyle, but it sounds very coasty sort of vibes, and I want to get more thoughts on the rest of the playerbase, not just Shinori (or myself, regarding the RVS vote you had questions about earlier). 

5 hours ago, Shinori said:

They seem kind of cagey-ish to me with their responses, and their avoidance to want to vote, and hey sometimes new players are like that.

I'm going to try my best to read that OMGUS as just a noobie mistake but even that withstanding I question why they vote me.  They said citing the reasons at the top of this page but:

They talk about my joke being a joke, they talk about my claim potentially making sense to them.

They question's eury's vote again, which both myself and Eury mentioned towards being RVS.  I even went on to explain what RVS is because I'm sure it's not a term they fully know or understand.

They talk about how last game, which was their first game, I told them that they should vote.  A better thing is to maybe say have some reads but at the time I believe I told them that they should vote to which they chose to not put too much thought into it and that's fine.

So what reasoning is there to cite really?  They may have meant from the previous page to some extent where they questioned some of my play, but I've been very open about what I'm doing in this situation and in this game at the moment and none of these reasons really say much of why what I'm doing is scummy.  Hell, some of them even state that I'm probably correct/townie for doing so.

_________

Starting mafia as a new player can be very daunting at first, not knowing things to look for or all the things like EBWOP, WIFOM, OMGUS, etc.  We've kind of played this game though once of which at the end of the last game they said they would 'worry about their vote history' because of what happened.  Hey that's fine but the way I'm reading their cageyness towards their vote seems more like first time scum that is wary that if they vote someone for awkward reasons they will catch some back lash for it in the future.

That OMGUS seems like a newbie mistake, considering they don't know what it really is, and I feel their reasoning doesn't really stand up to contention.  I'm going to try my best to read that as NAI for the sakes of this game at the current moment.

(Quoting this cause it technically directs me to the answer of some of the questions I had with DF vote earlier.)
@Shinori Couple of questions:
1. Does their gameplay seem to be driven by more scum!DF Intent or is it being overloaded with Newbie!DF mistakes/reactions? (Thinking back on the former game we just had with them, what has better or worse vibes than that game?)

2. Regarding the Ichigo voting thing earlier, which was likely to just prod life into the early D1 phase- any thoughts on the reactions that came from it? Or from the whole implications of the anti-town role claim for anyone who has responded thus far to the concerns?

3 hours ago, Aster said:

I...have no idea to be honest. I'll have to reread everything closely.

@Aster Quite frankly, it's as Shinori (and a few others) have mentioned: RVS (usually first several pages) are filled with nonsensical votes that are just meant to either joke or just act as a way to start the game. There is nothing to generally "read closely" into ED1, unless you're assuming that scum would purposefully vote one way or another in purely RVS (Which doesn't really ever make sense- RVS universally has and generally will always be taken as jokes in the long run.).

So tell me: just in general reading the thread, what are your thoughts on those who have posted? Myself? Shinori? DF? Jamie? Ichigo? What of the content/commentary of things happening- including Shinori's notion of having a potentially anti-town role, the rolling for votes on Ichigo early on (pinging several others to do so), or the rest of the activity/posts since RVS voting was over? 

Under what notion do you seem to hesitate or opt for re-reading when there are so few pages to work with at this time? (On page 4 at the time I started this post?)

34 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Not sure what ROA means but the rest is correct. While I partly defended Shinori I'm still slightly suspicious of them. My vote for them was mostly to counteract their vote for me, but as I said earlier I'll change it once we get a better idea of where everyone stands and if anyone seems super suspicious. Taking Shinori at their word they're probably an Ascetic at best or Veteran at worst.

I'm doing my best to parse what everyone has to say but there's so little to pick out right now, I simply don't have much to contribute right now is the problem. How Eurykins generates walls of speculation out of seemingly nothing is beyond me and I envy her for it.

Also from what I gather, SF uses a rotating list of roles instead of having a set number of them and adding/ removing them until all players get one, so it's not like I can metagame this either.

So you partially "defend" Shinori's gameplay thus far, but still wary of their gamplay- ok, I can understand being uncertain of his slot. (Though I do not recall seeing any form of "defense" of him, but checking Page 4 to see if this is clarified.)
However, I will state that it still doesn't explain why there's not more being divulged on others as well- has no one else stated or done anything thus far that warrants more concern than Shinori's posts/interactions? [Or, on the flip side, who comes out to you in terms of who you think is more TOWNSIDE vibes at this point?] Because the brunt of what I've seen posted so far seems to just be about him, and little else of others.

36 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

It was the suspicious stuff you were saying about how you have an anti-town role but definitely aren't scum (and even if it was a joke, you saying you wouldn't lead newbies astray). While you've seen me try to understand that I'm still not 100% sure that this isn't some bizarre double bluff. I'm happy to undo my vote on you, but since all the other votes (save yours for me) are random right now anyway what difference does it make right now anyway?

Still, it's probably not a good precedent to start the game with tit-for-tat votes so:

##Unvote: @Shinori

(P.S. The votes don't need to be bold, do they? I thought it's just the two hashes that are needed.)

This post actually bothers me slightly, because of the notion of why you now seem willing to unvote Shinori once you came under fire for voting him to begin with. You don't seem to be unvoting him because the read on his slot improved or was better, but more as a.... sort of appeasement to Shinori himself? That, and then you wave your own vote off, claiming "what difference does it make right now", as though the vote itself doesn't matter.

A. It's true that it's not end of day phase, and most people have not settled on any form of concrete wagon so far this day phase- not surprising for D1. HOWEVER, this doesn't make actual votes outside of RVS ANY LESS MEANINGFUL, because it builds reads and interactions/connections moving forward. Even if the casing does not DIRECTLY LEAD to someone else's lynch in a day phase, votes and cases can be powerful tools to gauge interactions especially when flips (scum and townside) start happening with NK's and Lynches/Mislynches. 

B. If you unvote Shinori at this point, and claim that the vote itself holds little to no merit, it begs the next question: Who warrants the vote more than Shinori for you? What others beckon the attention and deserve the vote more than he does? What good does UNVOTING do if you have no means/reads elsewhere to continue to apply pressure? What intentions do you have with removing your vote on him at this point? @DefyingFates

35 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

I didn't notice you defending them. When you say you are counteracting their vote, does that mean you do suspect them or are you only voting for them because they are voting for you?

What are your thoughts on the interactions so far @Ichigo, between the call for random votes on you, and the rest of the posts so far? What of DF actions at this point?

31 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Missed this, my bad! You're right. I was just thinking out loud about why Shinori would make a claim like that almost immediately. Mafia would already know they're town if they are so on the surface all it'd do is make town wary of investigating them. Veteran's the only role I can think of that would also scare Mafia off from interacting with them.

Mostly the latter, but I undid my vote. I'm still a bit suspicious, but we'll see how things play out.

I defended Shinori from myself, if that makes sense? As I said above, I tried to reason out why they would say something so baity right away.

And thank you! I know one of the help threads had a bunch of acronyms but I see I still have a lot to learn/ remember 😛

I don't understand how contradicting your own concerns ("defending him from yourself"?) serves any good to double back on the vote concerns above.

28 minutes ago, Shinori said:

##Unvote

Possibly worth just using our extension today since marth is MiA part of the day but we'll see what happens as the day progresses.  Gonna wait for other people to be around and what not.

Do you mind answering the questions above regarding DF and others?
***Side note: My vote is still on Shinori for joke reasons and such earlier, but that will be modified in a bit given circumstances at this time/more serious notions.

My thoughts so far on players:
Aster has yet to impress me at all with lack of [meaningful] posts/reads and general responses. I understand that there was a downsided mood that was expressed ED1, but there has been time to respond since that has occurred. I would like more responses to questions, more reads, because at this time it's striking as scum!coasting and I don't like the vibes currently.

(I say MEANINGFUL by the posts, because by POST COUNT ALONE Aster actually has SECOND HIGHEST of the thread so far, but little to no in-game content to boast with it. For this reason, plus the fact that DF has been more willing to respond/answer questions, Aster's slot strikes me worse than DF atm.)
DF has been more responsive in a sense, but seems to be waffling hard with Shinori and the voting/unvoting on the slot seems to come at self-depreciative notions of their own power of the vote, and for little reason in backing off of Shinori. I want to hear more thoughts on the others in the game from this slot, because (while not as bad as the one above) the lack of insight/reads from this slot and content so far doesn't feed well into townsided intentions. 

Shinori once again has dwarfed the rest of the playerbase in terms of raw posts to the thread, which is probably the biggest progressive push in this thread for D1 to get out of RVS. His Anti-town role claim is odd (given that roles like Miller would want to claim the actual role outright, as noted earlier) due to the lack of details with it, and in the manner he did so does not give me specific town/scum sided intentions. Personally I assume it was meant to pump life into the game and catch other player's attentions, so it does little to nothing for my read on him. Ichigo vote call also struck similar vibes. I do not disagree with his notions/vote and posts about DF either, so I had no issues with it. I do want to hear more opinions on the other slots though, and his thoughts of what the above actions garnered so far in terms of reactions. 
But at this time, I would probably put him fairly high, if not the highest in terms of most likely town read for me, if simply due to the progression on levels no one else has met as of yet.

Ichigo and Jamie have been quieter than Shinori (by a far margin), but neither of their posts so far have struck me in a bad tone. I did also put questions above that I want to see answered, to get more insight into their thoughts/reads thus far. I am not currently bothered by them at this moment.

Fire Emblem Fan + Elieson + Bluedoom have not posted at ALL, I don't believe. This is BAD, and it heavily bothers me that 2 of the 3 players in this list I know to be EXPERIENCED players, not newbies. I would normally not pose to have inactive slots lynched/pushed out first, but if nothing improves by the end of D1 and NONE of these 3 post at all by then, someone needs to vig these slots or we need them out, whether it'd be by subs or lynches. This will literally throw the game for townside if somehow all 3 of these slots are townside with the lack of activity.

##Unvote
##Vote: @Aster

It's okay, the game just started.

If anything Boron can give them a light nudge after 24 hours or so have passed.  Sunwoo specifically made a mod post stating that Bluedoom wouldn't be around for part of day 1.

Nothing is gonna be thrown yet and we can vote our extension.

WRT DF I already answered that same question basically when jamie asked it Eury.

16 minutes ago, Eurykins said:

1. Does their gameplay seem to be driven by more scum!DF Intent or is it being overloaded with Newbie!DF mistakes/reactions? (Thinking back on the former game we just had with them, what has better or worse vibes than that game?)

2. Regarding the Ichigo voting thing earlier, which was likely to just prod life into the early D1 phase- any thoughts on the reactions that came from it? Or from the whole implications of the anti-town role claim for anyone who has responded thus far to the concerns?

Oh I missed this cause wall:

1: I think this can be both.  DF wasn't scum in the last game, but was new, and is still new this game.  Could be new scum.  I remember in the last game their posting starting to get a lot better as the game went on, but that's obviously with the added information of, well, information.  I didn't fully keep up with the game exactly after I died n1 though but I don't particularly remember DF ever doing this "I'll just vote you because you voted me" which stands out to me because they are doing it now.

2: Eh, it never really happened.  I just wanted to see what would happen and see if people would follow my votes or how ichigo would respond.  I think Aster looks better though, feel like they are a bit different compared to their first game where they were scum.  This is kind of surface level though and probably doesn't hold up well to contention.

I did forget about the Bluedoom notice, so that can be noted. Still does nothing to remedy the other 2 slots though (Elieson + Fire Emblem Fan), and the former was even voted/@ Pinged at some point, so even less reasons to not be alerted to the thread imo. It's also been about a full 24hrs since the game started, and assuming 48hr day phase (yes, I know we can request EXTENSIONS but that's besides the point), that's half of the day phase they're absent. Granted in this case, missing ED1 isn't the worst compared to later day phases, but at the same time, it's not a good thing either even in D1, because if any of them are killed/flipped for any reason from now to D2, the lack of associations give townside zero info and the scum get off with freebie targets to shoot.

Was about to direct you to the questions I was mentioning, but cut me off with a post just now so all g. I had read the other post with Jamie, but it didn't fully explain to my brain what was more indicative here than the other game with DF. So with the responsiveness of them voting you in term, it seems more jumpy/scummy defensive than before?

It's elie, this game started very late at night, he's an old man.  You know this.  He's also probably busy during the day and 24 hours haven't even passed.

It's fine.

I'd only start to worry if we hit like 36 hours with no post.

Gosh I just genuinely don't know. Legit I just don't play aggressive. I have a hard time doing that, especially with. minimal information. With everyone pointing fingers, I don' t have a lead on anyone. I have equal suspect on everyone at this rate. Eury maybe I'm less suspicious about because odds are they're not rolling scum twice in a row statistically. Same goes for Marth.

Aster what's your read on me?

What's your read on DF?

You have to make do with less information sometimes, that's how some mafia games are played.

You can garner A LOT from people posting, typing, talking and interacting with each other.

I will post a few things, it's up to you if you want to read these.

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/45636

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/47734

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/47960

You don't have to read these, but feel free to glance through these, especially maybe the first 5 or so pages potentially.

All 3 of these are mafia games I have played in on a different site recently.  I only post these as maybe you can see how people interact with each other in this game and see how people draw reads as an example.

@DefyingFates and @Fire Emblem FanCan read through part of these too in case they are helpful.

THEY MAY NOT BE HELPFUL, but if you are just in a world where you can't work without information then how does that fully help us solve the game?

For example let's say we play through this day phase and don't arrive at a consensus so it's just whoever has the most votes goes out, let's say we pick Marth and they unluckily flip town.

Then night rolls around and they kill you Fire emblem fans, who let's say in this world, still hasn't posted, maybe real life hit em hard and they forgot or got REALLY busy.  This is all hypotheticals after all.

What would you do come day 2?  Sure 2 people are dead, but those 2 people didn't post at all so we don't really gain much information there or anything.

You can learn a lot by how people post and how people interact and my best advice to you as a player is to learn how to do that.  This doesn't even mean you have to find SCUM reads, you could find TOWN reads.  Someone that you believe is town and would be willing to work with to solve the rest of the game.  If you look at my games specifically in the first link I posted someone in that game named Princess Abigail is a player who plays with this exact playstyle.  They don't trust their scum reads but they do trust their town reads and they "town hunt" instead of scum hunt.

DO NOT trust in statistics.  My literal nickname on this site is Scumnori because I went some crazy time period of rolling only scum and nothing but scum.

My read on you is that you're very chaotic, but I'm leaning towards you being town because you wouldn't outright admit you had a bad role for town unless you were town yourself I don't think. There's not a zero percent chance that you're scum, but I'm more leaning towards no.

Fates I have no clue right now, getting a solid nothing. Same with Ichigo.

1 hour ago, Eurykins said:

What were your thoughts outside of jokes for Shinori to put votes on Ichigo- any intentions either direction?

It comes from a towny mindset but it’s not exactly unfakeable if you know what I mean? Trying to promote discussion around a player and see who does and doesn’t vote with him is a good way to gather intel and can give good interaction data later on in the game. But it’s also not that hard to do for any alignment, it’s just chucking a vote on there and @ ing to get people to vote with you.

So good sentiment but not alignment defining. 

1 hour ago, Aster said:

Eury maybe I'm less suspicious about because odds are they're not rolling scum twice in a row statistically. Same goes for Marth.

Stats are not useful for reads lol. I once rolled scum 4 games in a row. 

1 hour ago, Shinori said:

There’s someone I recognise in this one 🤔

Trueeeeee.

Elie will be nudged by Boron if they haven't been already at around the 24 hour mark, and I assume we will get marth sometime after the first 24 hours.

That extension may very well be needed.

Good morning SFers! Sorry for the absence, got caught up with stuff irl.

Got caught up and I kinda feel weird about Eury and Jamie, I keep flip flopping over DF because I thought that his initial cautious behaviour resembled a paranoid newbie who's town, especially the whole part where he thinks that shinori is conning him,  but I think stuff like this:

really rubs me the wrong way, so I can see where Shinori is coming from wrt that.

I think with eury its a)I was so wrong about her in multiball and her posts resemble that, and b) I think the thing that made me go ??? was the talk about shinori's role...crumb? where it was a few paragraphs that ended up with the conclusion that it could go either way and it was NAI because...that isn't very helpful to finding scum?

Jamie feels like he's doing the classic scum tactic of coasting by sharing advice with new players and tring people without any real scumread, ##Vote: @JamieIsBored

I feel p confident about this.

I think Aster is town tbh, I was confused as to which of Aster/DF was the one talking about eliminating someone at the start of the game for no reason being unfair; read back and it was Aster- Honestly that's such a townie mindset, if you're mafia honestly you don't care who is eliminated as long as its not your team or feel bad as much because its pro wincon.

I think thinking about it more my problem with Eury might just be how she's handling reading Shinori, like she doesn't want to commit to a read for some reason. Was going to say the Aster read was bad but I can see the worldview where she defaults to the Aster vote as town and it is doing something, given that 1/3rd of us hadn't posted at that time.

Shinori seems fine tbh, no problems at all with him, and I'm p null on Ichigo atm.

Votals

Aster (1): Eurykins
Ichigo (1): Jamie
Jamie (1): Bluedoom

Not Voting (6): Aster, DefyingFates, Shinori, Fire Emblem Fan, Elieson, Ichigo

Elie and Fire Emblem Fan have been poked

D1 ends in approximately 20.5 hours. There will be no hammer on D1.

I say we probably just vote for extension ahead of time.  With 2 people missing - no idea if fire emblem fan will be here or not, but elie should respond after being prodded.

8 hours ago, Eurykins said:

What are your thoughts on the interactions so far @Ichigo, between the call for random votes on you, and the rest of the posts so far? What of DF actions at this point?

At the start of the game I didn't know if Shinori was saying they had a read on me or if they were trying to get an opinion out of Aster. It seems that it was trying to get an opinion out of Aster so I don't have an opinion for the call to action on me (And they did ask about whether we should push the newbies earlier and I said no).

Right now I am lightly townreading Shinori. I think I'm lightly townread Aster as well.