38 members have voted

1. 1. Topic Title: Which do you prefer?

• Subtitle
    • Dub

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understod why so people thought dubbed voices were bad or even horrible. I'm not saying it's why everyone watches subs, but many people think the english voices are horrible. Am I just that naive or something because I can only name a few annoying voices I've heard

I never understod why so people thought dubbed voices were bad or even horrible. I'm not saying it's why everyone watches subs, but many people think the english voices are horrible. Am I just that naive or something because I can only name a few annoying voices I've heard

I find the Japanese voices annoying more often than the English ones....That and the fact that most translators obviously never passed English. Basically, I never got why subs > dubs.

Well, depends on the anime.

Shows like The Big-O had some ace-quality English dub, and not ONE of the characters has bad voices.

I find the Japanese voices annoying more often than the English ones....That and the fact that most translators obviously never passed English. Basically, I never got why subs > dubs.

Probably a preference thing. I prefer Subs because reading isn't exactly a hassle, and the Japanese voices tend to me to be better. I also find that a lot of subtitles go for a more literal translation. Plus, it's closer to the original.

I dunno, but I tend to find that if I watch the subbed and dubbed version of the same show, the subbed version tends to be better. TMoHS was painful for me to watch dubbed, and Kanon grated my nerves so badly I felt like dying. The voices were evil. X(

Johnny Young Bosch, Chris Patton, and Scott McNiel are all pretty damn good voice actors, and there's a few I'd say blow away their Japanese counterparts. However, most anime aimed at younger audiences (Like Haruhi and such) tend to get worse voice actors because they're cheaper and because little kids can't tell the difference between bad Voice Acting and good Voice Acting. However, Seinen shows like Black Lagoon and such then to bring in the higher quality VAs, because the acting quality actually matters to older/more mature audiences.

Johnny Young Bosch, Chris Patton, and Scott McNiel are all pretty damn good voice actors, and there's a few I'd say blow away their Japanese counterparts. However, most anime aimed at younger audiences (Like Haruhi and such) tend to get worse voice actors because they're cheaper and because little kids can't tell the difference between bad Voice Acting and good Voice Acting. However, Seinen shows like Black Lagoon and such then to bring in the higher quality VAs, because the acting quality actually matters to older/more mature audiences.

Wait, what? Haruhi is aimed at kids? Or do you mean teens by younger? I'm pretty sure you don't, but hey.

Wait, what? Haruhi is aimed at kids? Or do you mean teens by younger? I'm pretty sure you don't, but hey.

I was thinking that same thing. And also, JYB does a voice for Haruhi and he's a good voice actor, so what were you saying? (Directed at Patrick Colasour) I thought the voices for TMoHS's dub were very good myself.

I was thinking that same thing. And also, JYB does a voice for Haruhi and he's a good voice actor, so what were you saying? (Directed at Patrick Colasour) I thought the voices for TMoHS's dub were very good myself.

I found for Haruhi Dubs, that the voices (I'm especially looking at Haruhi), as well as the translation used failed to convey the ideas as fully as the Subs did. I didn't watch more than the second episode in Dubs, so it could improve later, but I find the Subtitled version to be a lot better.

Maybe I just prefer something closer to the original.

You know, I'd much rather read subs that aren't always "perfect" than listen to anime dubbers who lose all sense of emotion and the surroundings of the characters when watching dubs. It just doesn't work.

Guest FreelancerSealBoy

I'll take dubs just because I like to understand them, although a lot of dialogue is super corny. The was only one occasion where I cracked and went with the sub and that was so I could watch Bleach 54.

There was one moment in that one that made no difference in Japanese or English: Rukia's scream of terror as she goes 150 feet in three seconds. :lol:

I'll take dubs just because I like to understand them, although a lot of dialogue is super corny. The was only one occasion where I cracked and went with the sub and that was so I could watch Bleach 54.

There was one moment in that one that made no difference in Japanese or English: Rukia's scream of terror as she goes 150 feet in three seconds. :lol:

Watching dubs is basically pointless since you're not learning anything. I picked up some japanese terms while watching subs. Plus, the VA's are a lot cooler, and they fit the characters well.

Probably a preference thing. I prefer Subs because reading isn't exactly a hassle, and the Japanese voices tend to me to be better. I also find that a lot of subtitles go for a more literal translation. Plus, it's closer to the original.

I dunno, but I tend to find that if I watch the subbed and dubbed version of the same show, the subbed version tends to be better. TMoHS was painful for me to watch dubbed, and Kanon grated my nerves so badly I felt like dying. The voices were evil. X(

really?! what voices were so bad?

Also, Vic Mignogna, Kate Higgins, Sam Reigal, and Yuri Lowenthal are pretty good voice actors as well

really?! what voices were so bad?

Also, Vic Mignogna, Kate Higgins, Sam Reigal, and Yuri Lowenthal are pretty good voice actors as well

I dunno. To me, the Kanon English voice actors made me want to gouge out my eyes at some points. :D

I dunno. To me, the Kanon English voice actors made me want to gouge out my eyes at some points. :D

uguu... please tell me Ayu wasn't at fault

I'm stuck in the middle when it comes down to these sort of things. Usually, I don't mind dubbs if they are good. However, I find Japanese voice acting to be annoying just like bad dubbing in translated anime shows.

I do say however, Japanese voice actors do put emotion in their characters.

Oh yeah, I forgot that there would be slight variation between dubbed "uguu~" and the original "uguu~". What does the dubbed one sound like?

It's the exact same uguu from what I can tell. I've seen the sub and dub of Kanon and I can't tell a difference. And all the English voice acting in Kanon was great IMO.

Oh yeah, I forgot that there would be slight variation between dubbed "uguu~" and the original "uguu~". What does the dubbed one sound like?

It just sounds like a little girl saying it very shy-like and a little quieter than her normal voice

Crap, this is why I shouldn't make comments about an Anime I've only seen parodies of...

Something that would better fit the description I was talking about would be Cardcaptors and Sailor Moon. Both had, from what I remember, fairly pathetic Voice Acting.

Crap, Bosch WAS in Haruhi... Maybe I should actually watch that show so I don't make an ass of myself again...

Watching dubs is basically pointless since you're not learning anything. I picked up some japanese terms while watching subs. Plus, the VA's are a lot cooler, and they fit the characters well.

I don't know about that second part there. Patrick Colasour's english VA definitely fit his character better, with his over the top goofiness and "Because I'm just that special!" line. Also, Z.O.E. Idolo's Radium Lavarns had a much more talented VA in the ADV dub than the one in the subs. The Subs made him sound like a generic grunt, while the English VA seemed to give him more of a personality.

Then again, I seem to be the only person who likes the ADV dubs, so meh.