OMG it's a tier list

Florete

I don't agree with Kyza over Makalov. Just because Makalov has less availability won't stop him getting many levels with paragon. In my recent run I had Marcia sitting at level 18, and Astrid at level 15 by the end of 3-E.

I took.

5 turns on 2-3

4 on 3-9

5 on 3-11

5 on 3-E

Both had paragon although Marcia had 3 bexp levels on 3-9 and had both boss kills (2-3 and 3-9). I was more focused funneling kills for Astrid than Marcia on 3-11 and 3-E. I'm sure Makalov can get that many levels too with paragon and he'll have good speed by Part 4 and hand axes over Kyza.

Did you play on Easy Mode when you got these levels? Because I don't see how a unit as assy as Astrid can somehow climb 14 levels in only 4 maps on Normal Mode, let alone Hard Mode.

Most of the mid tiers have some form of "utility" though (like Soren chips stuff in 3-P and 3-1). Kyza is probably better than Soren when he shows up...but he's still not very good really. Also, on the flip side of 9 Mov and relatively high durability is dealing with gauge and a 1-range lock. Kyza's not that bad, but he's never very good without a number of coveted resources.

I would think that Kyza being better than Soren in nearly every single way throughout their shared existence would be better than Soren's two chapters of forgettable chip damage. Soren is absolutely terrible after his forced chapters. For god's sake, the dude is 2HKO'd by everything and their mother and faces crit chances from everything. The dude also only has an 18 speed base as well as a 35% speed growth and a 23 T2 speed cap which, coupled by his 6 move, means he never doubles anything. Actually, he's at risk getting doubled by enemies such as Swordmasters. Soren is also forced on the Greil Route in Part 4 whereas Kyza can choose whichever army he wants (and he's fairly useful in both the Hawk and Silver armies).

Also the only resources that Kyza is taking are like, BEXP and an Energy Drop. The only people who care about the Drop are Volug and Ulki but you get two of them and both Volug and Ulki can live without them. The BEXP cost is admittedly pretty hefty but you get a lot of BEXP in this game and Kyza is a pretty good recipient of it. I mean its not like I'm arguing a wing on him or anything.

I'm not claiming Kyza is amazing is anything but his position is ridiculous considering who he's below. Take Rolf for instance. Rolf is a tier up on Kyza but he's total trash. His chip damage is not even good (27 Atk Atk hitting defense), and he has a slow leveling speed thanks to his lack of player phase, plus his speed is mediocre and he eventually needs to take a Crown. There's also Danved, who's only significant chapters are 2-3 and 3-9 but Danved isn't actually all that good in 2-3 thanks to his 7 move. He's better in 3-9 but he's not an exceptional unit there either. Plus Danved is worse in Part 4.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that Kyza being better than Soren in nearly every single way throughout their shared existence would be better than Soren's two chapters of forgettable chip damage. Soren is absolutely terrible after his forced chapters. For god's sake, the dude is 2HKO'd by everything and their mother and faces crit chances from everything. The dude also only has an 18 speed base as well as a 35% speed growth and a 23 T2 speed cap which, coupled by his 6 move, means he never doubles anything. Actually, he's at risk getting doubled by enemies such as Swordmasters. Soren is also forced on the Greil Route in Part 4 whereas Kyza can choose whichever army he wants (and he's fairly useful in both the Hawk and Silver armies).

To be honest, I'm not seeing how Kyza is much better on an efficient team. Yeah Kyza has more durability and Mov but he's like...4RKOing Halberdiers at base, and a laguz he's not going to grow out of his doubling rut pretty much ever (and Spd's like his 6th highest growth, so BEXP prbably won't help there. Soren's chip damage past the first two chapters is admittedly pretty negligible, but Kyza's 30 Atk not doubling anything except Sages and Generals also seems pretty negligible.

Also the only resources that Kyza is taking are like, BEXP and an Energy Drop. The only people who care about the Drop are Volug and Ulki but you get two of them and both Volug and Ulki can live without them. The BEXP cost is admittedly pretty hefty but you get a lot of BEXP in this game and Kyza is a pretty good recipient of it. I mean its not like I'm arguing a wing on him or anything.

I think Mia, Nephenee, and Oscar are also good users of the Energy Drop. I'd like more elaboration on how BEXP is good on Kyza, from what I see his highest growths are HP (85%), Luck (50%) and then Skill (45%) which aren't really the stats he needs (he needs Str and Spd).

I'm not claiming Kyza is amazing is anything but his position is ridiculous considering who he's below. Take Rolf for instance. Rolf is a tier up on Kyza but he's total trash. His chip damage is not even good (27 Atk Atk hitting defense), and he has a slow leveling speed thanks to his lack of player phase, plus his speed is mediocre and he eventually needs to take a Crown. There's also Danved, who's only significant chapters are 2-3 and 3-9 but Danved isn't actually all that good in 2-3 thanks to his 7 move. He's better in 3-9 but he's not an exceptional unit there either. Plus Danved is worse in Part 4.

27 Atk for Rolf seems like a bit of sandbagging- we could at least give him a forged Steel Bow for 32 Atk at base and Rolf should at least have gained a level or two by the time Kyza arrives. Kyza, by the way, has 30 Atk at base and not a whole lot of ways to improve it outside of stat boosters due to how laguz exp works. I think Kyza is just a case of a unit with bad offense and no earlier chapters to redeem himself- he's always competing with the rest of the GMs which makes his value in completing the game faster and easier pretty minimal.

To be honest, I'm not seeing how Kyza is much better on an efficient team. Yeah Kyza has more durability and Mov but he's like...4RKOing Halberdiers at base, and a laguz he's not going to grow out of his doubling rut pretty much ever (and Spd's like his 6th highest growth, so BEXP prbably won't help there. Soren's chip damage past the first two chapters is admittedly pretty negligible, but Kyza's 30 Atk not doubling anything except Sages and Generals also seems pretty negligible.

Did you not read the post I quoted, which details exactly how Kyza can get out of his doubling rut?

Btw if you feed Kyza an energy drop on his join map, he has 34 atk, which allows him to 3HKO Warriors and Halberdiers while 2HKOing Swordmasters. If you do the BEXP/Blossom trick like I advised and he gets a +1 Str/Spd level up on the map, he has 36 atk and 24 AS which is a solid 2RKO against the Halbs/Warriors/Snipers. He also 2RKOs the generals, whether with 34 or 36 atk. Now if you didn't give Kyza the drop and he only procs strength on his blossomed level up, he has 32 atk which means he still 2RK0s the warriors/halberdiers/snipers, though he 3HK0s the swordmasters and 3RK0s the generals. I'm not saying that's good but its not useless. Kyza is also really good at shoving and can take Smite to get Ike and Ranulf to the Arrive spot quicker. Soren doesn't have that utility and he has practically no enemy phase plus he's probably not going to climb up the ledge in time to do anything useful.

I think Mia, Nephenee, and Oscar are also good users of the Energy Drop.

I don't recall an energy drop allowing Mia to 2HKO things, in which case she doesn't benefit from the drop considering how she basically KOs things through her forge and adept. I did forget about Oscar and Nephenee though.

I'd like more elaboration on how BEXP is good on Kyza, from what I see his highest growths are HP (85%), Luck (50%) and then Skill (45%) which aren't really the stats he needs (he needs Str and Spd).

You definitely didn't read the posts on Kyza then. I did not advocate giving him full BEXP level ups at all. What I said was that you feed him BEXP so he has 99 exp and then have him finish off the level on the actual map with Blossom equipped. This allows him to get his Str and Spd up faster and with an Energy Drop, he can get out of his 4HKOing phase pretty quickly.

27 Atk for Rolf seems like a bit of sandbagging- we could at least give him a forged Steel Bow for 32 Atk at base and Rolf should at least have gained a level or two by the time Kyza arrives.

Rolf is stuck with 27 Atk in his forced maps because you can't forge bows. In any case even with a forged bow, Rolf is still a worse combat unit in practice, mostly due to his lack of an enemy phase.

Kyza, by the way, has 30 Atk at base and not a whole lot of ways to improve it outside of stat boosters due to how laguz exp works.

Blossomed level ups.

I think Kyza is just a case of a unit with bad offense and no earlier chapters to redeem himself- he's always competing with the rest of the GMs which makes his value in completing the game faster and easier pretty minimal.

Interesting. So do you think Edward should go above Zihark?

27 Atk for Rolf seems like a bit of sandbagging- we could at least give him a forged Steel Bow for 32 Atk at base and Rolf should at least have gained a level or two by the time Kyza arrives. Kyza, by the way, has 30 Atk at base and not a whole lot of ways to improve it outside of stat boosters due to how laguz exp works. I think Kyza is just a case of a unit with bad offense and no earlier chapters to redeem himself- he's always competing with the rest of the GMs which makes his value in completing the game faster and easier pretty minimal.

If Rolf is baaaarely outdamaging Kysha, and has worse speed and worse durability and worse movement, he's a worse character. Simple as.

How about we take one of the other characters that Kysha is considered to be "worse" than on the tier list (because it's not like there's a shortage), then? If Kysha gains 3 levels in time for 3-12, then Makalov needs to be an impossible level 15 to match that. Sigrun has 24SPD too, and she joins in that chapter: shame that she has more than 20 less HP than him and lower defense too. Calill, who is two full tiers above Kysha, needs to be level seventeen, which adds up to nine levels gain in two chapters in which Calill is your worst unit except for Astrid. Danved needs to be level 16. Hell, Soren needs to be promoted!

Did you not read the post I quoted, which details exactly how Kyza can get out of his doubling rut?

Btw if you feed Kyza an energy drop on his join map, he has 34 atk, which allows him to 3HKO Warriors and Halberdiers while 2HKOing Swordmasters. If you do the BEXP/Blossom trick like I advised and he gets a +1 Str/Spd level up on the map, he has 36 atk and 24 AS which is a solid 2RKO against the Halbs/Warriors/Snipers. He also 2RKOs the generals, whether with 34 or 36 atk. Now if you didn't give Kyza the drop and he only procs strength on his blossomed level up, he has 32 atk which means he still 2RK0s the warriors/halberdiers/snipers, though he 3HK0s the swordmasters and 3RK0s the generals. I'm not saying that's good but its not useless. Kyza is also really good at shoving and can take Smite to get Ike and Ranulf to the Arrive spot quicker. Soren doesn't have that utility and he has practically no enemy phase plus he's probably not going to climb up the ledge in time to do anything useful.

I have issues with your comparisons, because I don't think the resources are nearly as uncontested as you claim. That's a lot of BEXP and the Blossom trick can be done with any laguz really.

Here are some other comparisons with similar resources:

Lethe with an Energy Drop and a Blossom level up (also closer to S Strike than Kyza):

52 HP 32 Atk 26 Spd 20 Def 22 Res

This is a little worse than Kyza Mt wise, but she'll reach S Strike faster (due to Part 2) and have more Mt than Kyza when she has S Strike and he has A Strike and her Spd growth is more reliable (Kyza has 57.75% with Blossom, Lethe has 75% with Blossom). In any case, Lethe is clearly stomping a base level Rolf or Soren or what have you.

Does this mean Lethe should rise with Kyza, or that Kyza is simply a decent unit given enough resources- which may not warrant a significantly higher tier position? None of the comparisons with Rolf or Soren or whoever seem to give them anything at all, which is rather disingenuous.

On the Lethe vs Kysha issue. I posted a rather lengthy post a good 5-6 months ago about how Lethe and Kysha fare compared to each other in efficient runs when used. Lethe wins 2-2, 2-E, 3-4 and 3-7 but Kysha will be better in 3-8, 3-10, 3-11, 3-E and two part 4 chapters.

In endgame Lethe will be better again only thanks to Rend.

I have already mentioned these numbers. Kysha takes 99 BEXP initially, then in the 3-7 base, he takes maybe 80EXP (since he gained some CEXP in 3-4), then you do the same in the 3-8 base. The total cost is somewhere in between 7000 and 8000 varying on how much CEXP he gets. That puts him on 26AS, also known as "fine for the rest of Part 3". 34ATK is a little bit below Ulki, so he's a reasonable canditate for a Drop: Ulki's not in urgent need because he has much more reliable Adept proc rates, but he sees more combat in general.

Kyza getting 13 Spd in 3 levels, even with Blossom, is pretty chancy, and if he doesn't get it, he's just stuck for another chapter and draining another chunk of BEXP to get to doubling, which also means he takes longer to ever possibly get S Strike...All things considered, though, he probably is too low. I mean, below Sanaki? Vika? He and Lethe might both need to go up.

EDIT: Maths...

Also I quoted a post from over a year ago because it was brought up again now. If anything's changed, just let me know.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I have issues with your comparisons, because I don't think the resources are nearly as uncontested as you claim. That's a lot of BEXP and the Blossom trick can be done with any laguz really.

Here are some other comparisons with similar resources:

Lethe with an Energy Drop and a Blossom level up (also closer to S Strike than Kyza):

52 HP 32 Atk 26 Spd 20 Def 22 Res

This is a little worse than Kyza Mt wise, but she'll reach S Strike faster (due to Part 2) and have more Mt than Kyza when she has S Strike and he has A Strike and her Spd growth is more reliable (Kyza has 57.75% with Blossom, Lethe has 75% with Blossom). In any case, Lethe is clearly stomping a base level Rolf or Soren or what have you.

Once Kyza gets S Strike, he regains his attack advantage. Lethe's BEXP also costs 450 more per level and she levels like a tier 3 beorc so once you stop doing the BEXP trick with them, Kyza gains levels faster than Lethe. Lethe's affinity is worse and Lethe's gauge is shittier, so she needs to pop grass more often and stay out of combat more. These are all advantages you are ignoring.

Does this mean Lethe should rise with Kyza, or that Kyza is simply a decent unit given enough resources- which may not warrant a significantly higher tier position? None of the comparisons with Rolf or Soren or whoever seem to give them anything at all, which is rather disingenuous.

What exactly do Rolf and Soren even want? They obviously need a crown and they can get forges I guess but those still don't fix their significant problems, which is namely doubling, and a terrible nemy phase, and in Soren's case terrible durability. You can give Soren a Robe I guess but his defense is so shitty he's still 2HKOd and he still faces crit chances. Rolf and Soren are terrible candidates for a speedwing as well and they both don't make good use of Adept. I guess Soren can take Resolve but he still has numerous move issues and needs to constantly be protected once he's in the HP range. Btw Kyza can help fix his AS issues too with Resolve and he can still take a beating even once he's in the HP range so he's better at using it than Soren.

You cannot simply just say "well you didn't give Soren or Rolf anything so your argument is invalid" because there's nothing that can actually improve them significantly enough to give them any sort of advantage over Kyza; giving them resources is basically a waste. At least Kyza gets significant improvement if you put enough stuff in him.

Once Kyza gets S Strike, he regains his attack advantage. Lethe's BEXP also costs 450 more per level and she levels like a tier 3 beorc so once you stop doing the BEXP trick with them, Kyza gains levels faster than Lethe. Lethe's affinity is worse and Lethe's gauge is shittier, so she needs to pop grass more often and stay out of combat more. These are all advantages you are ignoring.

Kyza does level a bit faster than Lethe, but Lethe is also closer to getting Rend. As for Lethe's affinity being worse, eh I didn't think this was very important. I guess Kyza gets a little bit of durability advantage once his support bonuses finally come in, but they're both so durable I hardly think it matters. I never found tiger gauge to be that much better than cat gauge in practice myself as laguz tend not to do well facing too many enemies in a turn regardless (due to lacking 1-2 range)

What exactly do Rolf and Soren even want? They obviously need a crown and they can get forges I guess but those still don't fix their significant problems, which is namely doubling, and a terrible nemy phase, and in Soren's case terrible durability. You can give Soren a Robe I guess but his defense is so shitty he's still 2HKOd and he still faces crit chances. Rolf and Soren are terrible candidates for a speedwing as well and they both don't make good use of Adept. I guess Soren can take Resolve but he still has numerous move issues and needs to constantly be protected once he's in the HP range. Btw Kyza can help fix his AS issues too with Resolve and he can still take a beating even once he's in the HP range so he's better at using it than Soren.

You cannot simply just say "well you didn't give Soren or Rolf anything so your argument is invalid" because there's nothing that can actually improve them significantly enough to give them any sort of advantage over Kyza; giving them resources is basically a waste. At least Kyza gets significant improvement if you put enough stuff in him.

Almost any unit would benefit from the loads of BEXP given to Kyza in this scenario and that includes Rolf and Soren. There are also units above all of them that would benefit from this strategy- Ranulf and the hawks could definitely use the strength boosts provided by BEXP and Blossom.

I disagree that giving resources to Rolf/Soren, particularly Rolf, is a "waste", at least compared to Kyza. With enough resources (Paragon, BEXP, Speedwing etc.) we basically get a stronger Shinon, who is a high tier unit. The problem is, these resources carry pretty significant costs, which is why Rolf is fairly low.

I actually do agree that Kyza should rise, I just don't know where he should go and the resource cost seems a bit handwaved here, as I'm not sure he's an optimal choice. Kyza seems to be taking a fair amount to get to a pretty mediocre level of performance on a strong team. Compared to say Kieran, who is taking up no resources and is on a pretty weak team for 2-3 and 3-9. Sure, Kyza might be better come 3-11 when they can be compared directly, but has he actually made a bigger difference?

Edited by -Cynthia-

• 2 weeks later...

Janaff could use an energy drop or BEXP to forcefully get STR. He misses ORKO without +1STR or something like that. Ulki would like both a drop and BEXP cause he's -2STR from Janaff to begin with.

I would also like to point out that relying on our Mastery skill to take out enemies (even with Adept included) is still fairly dicey. That should be reserved for sturdy screwballs like Generals and the like.

Ulki really needs the most help, but let's also not forget he does have the Water affinity, so he does give an extra +1 / +2 Atk for Janaff as well as himself. Not that it should suddenly exclude them from the Energy Drop.

I'd like to point out that Ike's position in the transferless and transfer-included tier lists are different.

Also don't underestimate how much quicker Lethe will get S strike and how important that is when comparing the two. Her performance in 2-2 is appreciated too.

Would a speedwing be completely out of line vs. the blossom trick (is repeat restarting a chapter in order to get speed an agreed method in tiering?) Speedwings are quite a valuable resource and while it's not guaranteed that a certain character is played there are enough of them that want it and do more with it that someone is going to stop ORKOing for at best a few chapters or at worst for the rest of the game.

With 26 speed base Kyza more or less 2RKOs every non-SM/General/Dragonmasters, though he may able take out 3-11 (and 3-E) dragonmasters if he gets his strike up near the end of the level (it's possible). He's relatively durable with his 55 HP and 20 DEF.

Now looking at someone like Lethe, Kyza is either tied or beating her the entire time they overlap. Like Kyza she needs to boost her speed, though it is only by 1 and it can be done using part 2's bexp, however with doubling she still only 3RKOs the average enemy unless given an energy drop. She'll get to S strike faster than Kyza, but the boost in strength doesn't make her better besides being able to 2RKO dragonmasters (that's with the energy drop too) and ORKO mages (assuming Kyza doesn't gain enough strength by level-ups) before Kyza. Kyza being a tiger has the advantage of a better gauge, but Lethe has the advantage of getting her mastery skill before and having a better one.

It comes down to whether Lethe does enough in her two part 2 chapters and requiring less resources overall to offset Kyza's performance.

Would a speedwing be completely out of line vs. the blossom trick (is repeat restarting a chapter in order to get speed an agreed method in tiering?) Speedwings are quite a valuable resource and while it's not guaranteed that a certain character is played there are enough of them that want it and do more with it that someone is going to stop ORKOing for at best a few chapters or at worst for the rest of the game.

Thing is, there aren't even that many characters that edge out Kysha for a Wing: it's just that Titania and Haar are so good and it's so easy to just assume they're both always in play. Boyd? Probably sitting at 20SPD, maybe 21. Oscar? Wing takes him from 23 to 24AS, a point he's probably going to get next level anyway, and he sits there for a while so he can salvage his strength. Ike? No problems, and you don't want his speed to get too high anyway because you need to kill him in 3-13. Ranulf, Nephenee, Shinon and Mia have no speed problems, Mordecai, Soren and Brom have speed problems that are insurmountable, and Rolf and Lyre just suck.

Thing is, there aren't even that many characters that edge out Kysha for a Wing: it's just that Titania and Haar are so good and it's so easy to just assume they're both always in play. Boyd? Probably sitting at 20SPD, maybe 21. Oscar? Wing takes him from 23 to 24AS, a point he's probably going to get next level anyway, and he sits there for a while so he can salvage his strength. Ike? No problems, and you don't want his speed to get too high anyway because you need to kill him in 3-13. Ranulf, Nephenee, Shinon and Mia have no speed problems, Mordecai, Soren and Brom have speed problems that are insurmountable, and Rolf and Lyre just suck.

It's more looking at the future. Boyd gets close to doubling by the end of part 3/beginning of part 4, same with Sigrun and Skrimir, the CRK and Tanith among others would also not say no to a speedwing, plus like you said with Haar and Titania both very likely to be in play on an average playthrough would still like a speedwing even if waiting for a while longer.

It's more looking at the future. Boyd gets close to doubling by the end of part 3/beginning of part 4, same with Sigrun and Skrimir, the CRK and Tanith among others would also not say no to a speedwing, plus like you said with Haar and Titania both very likely to be in play on an average playthrough would still like a speedwing even if waiting for a while longer.

If you're looking at the future, you have a third Wing from 3-9. Wing on Sigrun? You gotta be kidding me. Even with the Wing, Sigrun's chances of doubling in 4-3 are pretty damn low and her strength always sucks. You'd be saving her a Wing from 1-E, so 2-3rds of the game to get a mediocre unit for all of one chapter.

CRK are covered adequately by "insurmountable speed problems", I think.

Not that I expect "wing on Kysha" to get anywhere. People in this topic don't even want to give a Wing to Boyd (T), let alone Kysha.

If you're looking at the future, you have a third Wing from 3-9. Wing on Sigrun? You gotta be kidding me. Even with the Wing, Sigrun's chances of doubling in 4-3 are pretty damn low and her strength always sucks. You'd be saving her a Wing from 1-E, so 2-3rds of the game to get a mediocre unit for all of one chapter.

A wing at 3-11 gives her 26 speed allowing her to double non-SM for both 3-11 and 3-E then once she promotes she can double almost everything in 4-P as well. She runs into some problems by 4-3 again like you said. Come to think of it, not sure why Sigrun is so high either, I don't think being a flying unit that does not need to transform makes her that much better when it seems she has the same performance over fewer chapters.

• 4 months later...

Come to think of it, not sure why Sigrun is so high either, I don't think being a flying unit that does not need to transform makes her that much better when it seems she has the same performance over fewer chapters.

I'm more wondering on how Tanith is middle tier, she just really isn't that useful especially seeing as how the chapters she can join in are either chapters in which Sigrun is forced so you bench her or you are just filled with a bunch of units that outclass her. If you take her to the Silver army she will most likely be benched since Sigrun is, again, forced and Jill and Haar preform a more reliable way to fly and kill stuff. In the Greil Army she may be able to pull herself for one chapter but Janaff is much better at scouting and in 4-4 she's in an indoor map which just makes her a normal unit that's weak to Wind magic and bows. In the Hawk Army I can see her being useful but not enough to pull a major difference, especially since Elincia and Tibarn are flying units that are just more reliable ways to kill.

I hope this isn't necroposting, I really felt like this tier list should be brought up again before it sinks.

I'm more wondering on how Tanith is middle tier, she just really isn't that useful especially seeing as how the chapters she can join in are either chapters in which Sigrun is forced so you bench her or you are just filled with a bunch of units that outclass her. If you take her to the Silver army she will most likely be benched since Sigrun is, again, forced and Jill and Haar preform a more reliable way to fly and kill stuff. In the Greil Army she may be able to pull herself for one chapter but Janaff is much better at scouting and in 4-4 she's in an indoor map which just makes her a normal unit that's weak to Wind magic and bows. In the Hawk Army I can see her being useful but not enough to pull a major difference, especially since Elincia and Tibarn are flying units that are just more reliable ways to kill.

I hope this isn't necroposting, I really felt like this tier list should be brought up again before it sinks.

This is an awful argument. There is absolutely no shortage of deployment slots in 3-E or Part 4. Tanith is at worst, taking a deployment slot from a untrained shovebot.

Yes, Jill and Haar and Janaff and Elincia and Tibarn are all better than Tanith: they're already above her on the tier list. Tell us something we don't know.

• 4 months later...