How did the Black Knight and Greil end up fighting?

That's something that I've always wondered ever since I first saw their confrontation. And after I read the whole "What if Greil Never Died" topic...I just realized, I'm still not too clear on that!

I would post it as a thread, but for some reason, the site is saying that as a part of flood control, it's not allowing me to post a new thread, and despite the fact that I waited way more than 10 seconds to try again, it's still not letting me! So, I'm turning to the guy who I always seem to turn to lately, you.

Basically though, just about the only indication in the entire game that this would happen was when the BK and Greil stared at each other after Petrines army got owned by the Laguz...and that's it. It was almost completely random to me. I would think that the BK ambushed Greil, but after the way Greil sent Ike back to the base and refusing to give Ike a straight answer of why he's putting so much responsibility on him, combined with the fact that he was already heading out of the castle to do something gives me the impression that he purposely sought out the Black Knight.

So, what was the point of Greil challenging the Black Knight? Why exactly did the Black Knight want to fight Greil in the first place? My best guess was that the Black Knight wanted to fight a worthy opponent, but why did Greil want to fight the Black Knight?

Black Knight's intention was clearly stated later on in the game, and FE10. To prove to himself that he could surpass/beat his master, on top of obtaining the Fire Emblem. Greil fought back out of self defense, as well as to defend his family.

Wait this is confusing. There is another exactly a same topic like this in the PoR section.

Was this meant to be for the FE10 section or FE9 section.

It was meant for both

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up.

Just to avoid confusion again, if there is two FE games you would like to include in a topic, the general FE section would be a best place to post the topic.