Chrono Cross

General Spoon

In one short word: Yes.

Despite what some of the overly devoted of the series as a whole might say, Chrono Cross is an excellent game, which can be played even if you've never touched Chrono Trigger. It took a different approach to what Chrono Trigger did and even shifted CT's main hero to an extremely small side role (which is ballsy, to say the least, given fans in the modern eras of gaming). The story is great and you'll definitely find reasons to play through the game multiple times (as of early December, I've gone through it 5 times or so now, with 4 of those going the entire way to the dead end of the game), since there are different "paths" that you can take (though, you can explore the areas you didn't go to anyway) and new things that you'll progressively pick up on as you play through each time.

The music is superb (composed my the famed Yasunori Mitsuda), the character personalities are fairly well designed, and it really has aged quite well. (Either that, or I'm just more in tune with older games than newer ones...)

And to break it: No.

Personally, I found the game to be dragged out, and its story loosely connected and intentionally left smeared in some areas, so that fans could attempt to make sense of a plot without intention (i.e. "for the money" plot). Its battle system was different, and forced idiotic "strategy" into the mix by keeping characters from doing standard attacks, instead forcing accumulation of certain accurate and power attacks, as well as developing your magical skills high enough to use your stronger magic--which if memory serves, may not of been usable again until the end of the battle, or if you've come into possession of a sort of "reset" magic.

As for the style of the game, it's colorful, but for me, all the colors and palettes were pastel-like and, simply, ugly. Think of those tropical-flavored ice pops, but instead, have it plastered all over the screen :/ There's also a useless cast of characters, somewhere around 40 or 50, which is really only cool if you're a perfectionist. A lot of characters simply set aside while you run around.

But if you're a fan of Chrono Trigger, you might as well try it out. Personally, I see Chrono Cross as nothing more than a parallel work, a sort of reworked version of the original in a different setting, with some elements taken from the original and forced into a new scenario. It's an alright game to play, but I've played better :E and the music sucked

Edited by Celice

And to break it: No.

Personally, I found the game to be dragged out, and its story loosely connected and intentionally left smeared in some areas, so that fans could attempt to make sense of a plot without intention (i.e. "for the money" plot). Its battle system was different, and forced idiotic "strategy" into the mix by keeping characters from doing standard attacks, instead forcing accumulation of certain accurate and power attacks, as well as developing your magical skills high enough to use your stronger magic--which if memory serves, may not of been usable again until the end of the battle, or if you've come into possession of a sort of "reset" magic.

As for the style of the game, it's colorful, but for me, all the colors and palettes were pastel-like and, simply, ugly. Think of those tropical-flavored ice pops, but instead, have it plastered all over the screen :/ There's also a useless cast of characters, somewhere around 40 or 50, which is really only cool if you're a perfectionist. A lot of characters simply set aside while you run around.

But if you're a fan of Chrono Trigger, you might as well try it out. Personally, I see Chrono Cross as nothing more than a parallel work, a sort of reworked version of the original in a different setting, with some elements taken from the original and forced into a new scenario. It's an alright game to play, but I've played better :E and the music sucked

Oh, okay. I thought I was the only one who though Chrono Cross wasn't so good. But the music didn't suck.

Depending on which path you take and how "complete" (sidequests, treasures, etc.) you want to make the first playthrough, probably 20-30 hours, I'd presume. (I don't have my save from my first playthrough, so I can't really say with certainty.)

Chrono Cross is loads of fun! dont listen to the nay-sayers...go try it yourself and see what you think of it..the soundtrack is worth playing the game alone..its freakin amazing...

its one of my favorites for the PS1 next to Xenogears and LoD...there are drawbacks..the many many characters you can recruit may seem like a good idea at the time but its kinda badly executed but there are few of them you wanna use...(i always recruit the least amount possible)

its fun and decent storyline..very interesting considering it answers the biggest question CT fans were asking for so long!

Chrono Cross is loads of fun! dont listen to the nay-sayers...go try it yourself and see what you think of it..the soundtrack is worth playing the game alone..its freakin amazing...

its one of my favorites for the PS1 next to Xenogears and LoD...there are drawbacks..the many many characters you can recruit may seem like a good idea at the time but its kinda badly executed but there are few of them you wanna use...(i always recruit the least amount possible)

its fun and decent storyline..very interesting considering it answers the biggest question CT fans were asking for so long!

I never did understand how to get half of the characters...

• 2 months later...