The King of Fighters XII

burning_phoneix

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44056.html

Wow, some great 2D there.

I never cared much about KOF because I'm not into fighting games only occasionally playing Street Fighter or Tekken but that's some sweet ass animation there.

I think it's a real shame most of the industry has abandoned 2D when right now we have the capability of making Animation quality 2D games such as Warioland Shake it,SFII:HD and KOFXII.

Yes, but the game itself suckz, grandly.

There was so much hype when it was first announced, then there were the first screenshots, holy shit.

Then the shiting on the cake, few characters, no pre-set teams, dear God.

Well, Twice the Resolution, half the characters I'm afraid. :(

I was under the impression it wasn't out yet.

Yes, this is going to be more of a beta test to gain more money.

The game will still suck when it comes out.

And guess what, they are going to release another version of Kof 2002, with a new character,that is just a sprite edit from K9999. The name? Nameless. woooow

Yes, this is going to be more of a beta test to gain more money.

The game will still suck when it comes out.

I try not to predict the future.

The fact is, 2D sprites are very time and resource consuming especially when they're in HD and SNK just can't afford to dawdle adding in every single person's favorite character especially when they're making a completely new game from scratch and not touching up 10 year old sprites.

I mean, I'm gutted that King isn't in the game but I'm not to complain when graphics this good is the tradeoff

Edited by burning_phoneix

I try not to predict the future.

The fact is, 2D sprites are very time and resource consuming especially when they're in HD and SNK just can't afford to dawdle adding in every single person's favorite character especially when they're making a completely new game from scratch and not touching up 10 year old sprites.

Comparing with even XI, the chances are that it will be bad. Or even without comparing it.

Yes, but the game has no importance whatsoever on the story.Okay, it's done from scratch, but goddamit, the hype was so big,the frustration was too.

Comparing with even XI, the chances are that it will be bad. Or even without comparing it.

Yes, but the game has no importance whatsoever on the story.Okay, it's done from scratch, but goddamit, the hype was so big,the frustration was too.

If it's completely made from scratch how can you compare it with any previous title?

The only reason you're frustrated is because of the reduced number of characters not through any qualms about the game mechanics.

If it's completely made from scratch how can you compare it with any previous title?

The only reason you're frustrated is because of the reduced number of characters not through any qualms about the game mechanics.

Gameplay is similar to the older ones,which is a plus

But no pre-set team is just BS, and just 20 characters is even worse.

NO STORY IMPORTANCE WHATSOEVER, WHY GETTING EVERYBODY HYPED WITH THE XII?

Edited by Skasha

Because for the first time in ever they're redoing all of the sprites in one go? The general favourite is a non story one anyway ('98)

And the rest of the game doesn't look like arse like KOF2001 did compared to 2000. The artwork looks a lot better than the recent titles too from the looks of things so far.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the huge excess of muscles, but I guess it's better than the alternative...

I'm just glad they have Leona in this one. Probably won't get a PAL release or a Wii release so I'll probably never see it anyway.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the huge excess of muscles, but I guess it's better than the alternative...

Oh, you mean Ralf?

His 'roid abusing is just.... stupid.

Oh, you mean Ralf?

His 'roid abusing is just.... stupid.

Even Terry and Kim seem to be a bit more buff. :blink:

but who needs both Ralf AND Clark anyway? switch one of them out for King. :(

And just to show people the amount of work that goes into making these sprites:

ryu-sprites.jpg

Add to that KOFXII has far more frames of animation including little details like shadows and different shading when not in direct light you should see how much work goes into these sprites.

Yes, it IS beatufil and all, the scenario with the fat ladys is charismatic as hell, but I expected it to be like SF3 was to SF2, you know? More than graphics, a brand new cast of characters, awesome gameplay...

Yes, it IS beatufil and all, the scenario with the fat ladys is charismatic as hell, but I expected it to be like SF3 was to SF2, you know? More than graphics, a brand new cast of characters, awesome gameplay...

Admit it, people would still be bitching like they did when SFIII comes out. :(

SF HD remix looks horrid in the gameplay

That's what you get for trying to get an old game with HD graphics. :(

Admit it, people would still be bitching like they did when SFIII comes out. :(

I'm not one of them. In fact, SF3.3 is one of my favorite fighting games, behind only KoF '96.

Well, I would expect the SF2 HD remake to play like SF2 rather than SF3.

SF4 has (I think) a new cast but is done in 3-2D (using models rather than sprites, but played in a 2D plane).

KOF12 looks like it uses model capture and then the models are fine tuned by the sprite artists (not sure if this is what is done, but this is what it looks like).

Also, the fact Leona is in it when many other female characters were missed off is probably revenge for milk tea KOF11...

Although it seems like she's filling the 'Cammy' role with Athena taking the primary female slot so far... if they're going that way. There are a few more slots in the screenshots of the character select screen so I would expect more are on their way. (unless that was an old snapshot, which is likely)

The full character list is confirmed:

* Andy Bogard

* Ash Crimson

* Athena Asamiya

* Benimaru Nikaido

* Chin Gentsai

* Clark Still

* Duo Lon

* Goro Daimon

* Iori Yagami

* Joe Higashi

* Kim Kaphwan

* Kyo Kusanagi

* Leona Heidern

* Raiden

* Ralf Jones

* Robert Garcia

* Ryo Sakazaki

* Shen Woo

* Sie Kensou

* Terry Bogard

So no more female characters. :(

KOF12 looks like it uses model capture and then the models are fine tuned by the sprite artists (not sure if this is what is done, but this is what it looks like).

They use 3D modes as a base for the artists to sketch over.

I'm not one of them. In fact, SF3.3 is one of my favorite fighting games, behind only KoF '96.

I'm not saying you weren't, it's just a lot of people were turned off by SF3.

I liked SF3 BTW so don't flame me. :(

Edited by burning_phoneix

Anyway, 20 characters is still quite a lot. In the old days, you were lucky to have more than 8 which is why KOF'94 was such a big thing back then.

I do think that some characters are superfluous; I'm mainly looking at Ash's team where they all give off a different 'main character' vibe that seems cluttered when you have Kyo, Terry and Ryo in the same game.

Ash is pretty annoying, but at least when compared with K'9999 he seems like the pinnacle of good taste in design. I guess it's pretty hard to introduce a new main character (upstaging the old ones) without seeming [Mary] 'Sueish'. I think at least K' has the impression of being inferior to Kyo storywise, which made him acceptable to me.

(In the main character role, new characters who upstage always seem more irritating than the first guy even if they weren't overblown in their introduction)

but I expected it to be like SF3 was to SF2, you know? More than graphics, a brand new cast of characters, awesome gameplay...

But SF3 wasn't really perfected until Third Strike. And personally, I think the huge amount of new characters with the small amount of old ones was a sort of a dodgy move. I'm not a fan of getting alienated, personally.

There is, however, one thing you're being very wrong at, and that is judging the game before it gets released. So what if other people are hyping? Just wait till the release and then think whatever the hell you want about it. I'm not saying the game is particularly good or bad, just saying to...not count your chickens before they're hatched. BOOM

As for me, the one thing I really hate about it is FATRALF. He's not just buff, he's FATBUFF. I hate, hate, hate it! But at least the game has Robert. That's enough for me to buy it.

There is, however, one thing you're being very wrong at, and that is judging the game before it gets released. So what if other people are hyping? Just wait till the release and then think whatever the hell you want about it. I'm not saying the game is particularly good or bad, just saying to...not count your chickens before they're hatched. BOOM

Playmore was hyping it like it was the decisive moment of KOF(graphic-wise, yes), it would blow your mind(graphics-wise), and stuff, the people were hyped.

But then the annoucement that it would be a Random Slugfest, with no teams, few and no new characters(Iori has a new outfit, ok) turned the hype down, y'know.

That's why I THINK it's gonna blow. The lesser number of characters that KOF had was 26, and the Taito Type X2 is capable of more, why not making at least 3 more people?

PS: Athena is still 18.

I think when doing a new start, a Random Slugfest would fit better than episode next of KOF since they haven't finished Ash's saga. Besides, '98 was a random slugfest and that was well liked (though it did have a larger cast).

Leona is still 18 too... looks like she's been 18 since '96 meaning she should be about 30 now. Athena, considering who she is, should be thousands of years old by now..

I don't know how it's going to be, but from the screenshots you can see the effort that is being put into it redoing all of the sprites.