Saints Row 2

Mufasa

Here's my own little review thing, copy and pasted from Tales Chronicles. Why? Because I'm lazy.

Before anything else is said about the game, it is, without a doubt, a GTA clone.

For those of you who have followed the GTA series since San Andreas, you will notice many similarities between it and Saints Row.

However, Saints Row 2 goes the extra mile.

The first thing that you do in the game, is make your own character. From scratch. You can pick any flab of skin to pick at and alter, but even more than that, it allows you to pick your character's personality. Of course, I decided to have a comedic, narcissistic, psychopath but whatever personality you pick for the game, you'll fall in love with your character and the other characters you surround yourself with.

After the first few missions which set up the plot and purpose for the game, you're allowed to pick which missions you go on. You can pick from one of three gangs to attack, until you wipe that gang out, or decide to go on another gang attack. I personally decided to wipe them out one at a time, but you can do three missions for one gang, two missions for another and so on and so forth.

Now here's the most interesting, yet slightly frustrating part. In order to do missions, you have to earn respect points, which can sometimes be a pain, but upon reflection, it's a game lengthening device that works well with the world. There are about 100 different minigames that you can pick and choose from to raise your respect, and all of them are things that you would want to do in this world. Here are some brief examples:

1. A mini-game in which you hose down corporate businesses with, for lack of a better word: poop.

2. A mini-game in which you throw crazed fans of celebrities into objects that will kill them. EX: Helicopter blades, off a roof, into a bull-dozer, etc etc etc.

And of course there are assassination mini-games and races and such.

And if the minigames ever get boring, you could always just run around the city killing enemy gang members and throwing people off into the wild blue yonder.

It's not exactly a "smart" gaming experience. But it's certainly fun, and you can replay any of the previous missions once you beat them. Good stuff.

I give Saints Row 2 9/10. If you like GTA, you'll like Saints Row. Even the cheats are better.

• 2 weeks later...