• Melty Blood
    • King of Fighters
    • Other (explain yourself)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think items have ever added to the experience for me

And the Sagat thing, we'd be noobs in a non-tournament, probably not-that-competitive setting, we probably wouldn't even find that out on our own because "NO PROJECTILEZ HE MUST SUCK"

Like smash nubs charging Marth smashes and hoping the other guy runs into something. Neither of them would look very "exciting fighter"ish from the outside. The point is that some serious depth is there in both games if you're willing to look for it.

Doesn't play like one? Well, you projectile camp, make approaches, and trade attacks/combos with varying priority and speed in both games. How doesn't it play comparably to a fighter, not counting unique ledge mechanics, and more freedom of movement than average I guess?

Street Fighter is what a real fighter should be, IMO.

SSB has combs and shitz, but it also had two buttons for attacks, A being the normal ones, and B being the more powerful ones. It varies with the directional though. It's a party game because EVERYONE can play it using any character.

In SF, and in other ones, you had an actual command to do in other to do a projectile, that's what I mean, it's harder to play.

Good.

Now learn to fight like this.

Still it is not as hard, as say, parrying 13 hits on SF3.3(I'm not even bringing up the video, you might know it), or while parrying, doing an Desperation Move(you know, with the flashy things, the Specials) that involves a 720° at close range.

The tech skill required to consistently waveshine, have good Directional Influence (push yourself in certain directions to get out of combos, which is strengthened if you do it while being hit)

You're.. doing like nearly the same amount of normal attacks with less buttons. Wouldn't pushing the stick a certain speed to get a low tilt require more technical control than having a button already set up for you to do a light low kick?

Point blank, you are underestimating the game. People can't immediately pick up and play Melee with little prior experience with it and hope to do anything like good any more than they can with Street Fighter 2. They'd have to learn all matter of character-specific nonsense and matchups before they could hope to do good.

You have fast inputs with multiple directions required of you in high performance Street Fighter at a moment's notice. You have the same thing in Melee. Every time you land while doing an attack, you have to press a shoulder button, or the move will have extra lag, which anybody who is something like good will punish you for. Moves have different timing, so every character requires having to get used to this in a new way. You don't have to practice getting consistent with anything like that in Street Fighter.

People practice those slightly more complicated inputs to get consistent with them in a Street Fighter tournament setting. You have to do the same thing in Melee.

If we can toss out random tech skill stuff, there's a thing in Melee called a drillshine infinite. Fox short hops, which is difficult to be consistent with when playing Fox in particular, does his downward air normal move into the other guy, cancels the lag, does his down special, immediately wavedashes after the other guy and does it again. Nobody has gotten it down. It's an incredible clusterfuck for the hands to handle consistently. Hitting 2 control sticks away from the other guy when he is hitting you to DI away from a combo is also comparable to Daigo's parry, though frame perfection isn't required. There's also crouch canceling, which, when you crouch while being hit b a move, weakens the knockback and may allow you to punish.

There's a lot of stuff out there for the game, and not having to draw a pentagram with the control stick doesn't mean it's easy stuff.

Edited by Mac

So you're basicaly saying that the game doesn't looks that complex, but it is.

Also, you mentioned that one experienced in SF wouldn't go too well in SSBM in their first play. It also kinda applies to the opposite as well.

I take your points, but I still don't think SSB as a "real" fighting game.

It's no less 'real' than any 3D fighting game IMO. I can't think of any full 3D fighter that feels real, except maybe Virtua Fighter. Possibly Fighter's Destiny on the N64 if anyone remembers that, but that was a bit different with it's points scoring system where one throw will end the round and give you 2 points etc.

I think Melee is more comparable to highly technical, combo oriented games such as MvsC2 or SF3.

My Brawl skills have actually aided me in Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, and the reason is because Brawl has such a huge focus on controlling space.

Edited by Chainey

It's no less 'real' than any 3D fighting game IMO. I can't think of any full 3D fighter that feels real, except maybe Virtua Fighter. Possibly Fighter's Destiny on the N64 if anyone remembers that, but that was a bit different with it's points scoring system where one throw will end the round and give you 2 points etc.

SSB is way too different to be compared directly to SF and other series. It is a fighting game, but it's just uncommon, it's original. It's like I said, the overall feeling doesn't catch me.

Smash Bros. What other game will allow me to slaughter Pikachu with Bowser or Ganondorf?

Street Fighters comes second since it is a childhood fighting game I grew up with.

Mortal Kombat is another favorite series from my childhood but it has been going downhill as of late.

Mortal Kombat is another favorite series from my childhood but it has been going downhill as of late.

MK went downhill pretty fast after MK4(which is the best 3D installment of the series, IMO)

MK went downhill pretty fast after MK4(which is the best 3D installment of the series, IMO)

I liked Deception more. I'd say it went a bit uphill after Deadly Alliance, though. Mortal Kombat 4 and Special Forces really put a dent in the series, though.

Armageddon is fun too. The only thing I dislike is how no one has a custom move for fatalities, but I can live with it. After all, it's basically a mix between old Kano and Cage fatalities, with some Sub-Zero, Jax and Goro for the finishing moves.

Armageddon is bad, IMO.

A bunch of crap characters, and the older ones with sucky new designs...

I'd be fine with a few characters away from this game, namely the whole Order/Chaosrealm and those who only appeared in one or two games like Sareena, Hsu Hao and Kobra.

Also Reptile's new design is awesome.

Good.

Now learn to fight like this.

Poor example IMO. Ken thrives most on mindgames, since Marth is essentially just Dash-dancing and SHFFLing with the occasional fsmash, and you cant really notice the mindgames going on if you're not experienced in the game, since you don't know what is assumed to happen.

So you're basicaly saying that the game doesn't looks that complex, but it is.

Also, you mentioned that one experienced in SF wouldn't go too well in SSBM in their first play. It also kinda applies to the opposite as well.

You can button mash in SF and win. If you button mash in SSB you end up suiciding frequently. Anyways, there are only two significant differences between SSB and most other fighters:

1. Increased air-game. In most fighters, you spend almost the entire fight on the ground, and jumping is seldom used, and in some games it's not even usable by some characters (IIRC Mitsurugi can't jump in SC2. And he's A-Tier). In SSB, you have at least 2 jumps, and an attack that brings you upwards (Yoshi and Jiggs are exceptions, but they can get their bonus jump by aerial dodging in Melee). This makes the game more 2-dimensional, since most fighting games are focused almost entirely on horizontal spacing.

2. Ring-out only. Stamina mode is available in Melee and Brawl, but it's not used standardly. Tourney-play involves racking up damage not to kill your enemy, but to make them easier to ring out. Also, because of this, ring-outs aren't caused simply by going off the ledge, but by going too far into the margins. In SC, all I have to do is kick my opponent off the ledge and it's an instant win, whereas in SSB I have to kick my opponent off the stage and make sure I get them far enough away that they can't come back. Then I have to do that 3 more times (4 more in 64, 2 more in Brawl) in order to win the round. Yes, this does mean that Smash takes a lot longer than other fighters. In SC2 a fight seldom lasts longer than a minute (I don't think the timer can go above 2 minutes). In Melee a fight usually lasts around 4-5 minutes (and the stock timer is set to 8 minutes for tournaments)

Other than that, I don't see too much of a difference between SSB and most other fighters. I mean sure, Roy and Marth are the only characters with attacks that aren't always gonna be the same (Any B attack during a Side-B combo will be different than the standard form of that attack), but each character has at least 24 attacks (dash, neutral A, 3 tilts, 3 smashes, 4 throws, 4 specials, 5 aerials, choke, ledge attack, revival attack) (extra neutral A attacks, tippers, zair attacks, specials that differ when used in the air, different ways to throw a characters pull items [Peach's turnips, Link and TL/YL's bombs, Diddy's bannanas, Snake's grenades, Rob's Gyro, Wario's bike and parts, etc.], and Samus' 2 different missiles mean that most characters have a few extra attacks), each with horizontal spacing, vertical spacing, and timing that need to be learned. Also, some projectiles can be controlled (Pit's Arrows, PK Thunder, Egg Throw, Peanut Pop Gun, Snake's rocket, and once again pull items), and those all take practice controlling. Good luck getting Yoshi's 0-Death Star KO combo in Brawl without being able to control eggs that are off the screen and cant be seen.

EDIT: But Tenkaichi 2 is officially my favorite fighter. <3 Videl/Great Saiyawoman, gonna make her top tier~

Edited by Vince with ShamWOW

Lol no. People are just going to exploit lag on attacks if you do that.

O RLY? I played against one of my friends who's like hella into SF and all I did was press random buttons and I won. No tech-skill, no mindgames, no idea what I was doing.

O RLY? I played against one of my friends who's like hella into SF and all I did was press random buttons and I won. No tech-skill, no mindgames, no idea what I was doing.

Then he is not very good.

If you would have played against someone who is good, you would have most certainly lost. I've seen people who are good, and button mashers like me do not win.

when I think about my favorite fighter game series again I have to bring up Bloody Roar heh :/ originally I button mashed but after seeing the cpu do some crazy stuff I'm like "how the hell they do that?!" and this was the first fighter I started to really take seriously (was the first one of the genre I bought too), taking time to learn characters' individual movesets and acquire a good feel for everyone whether using them or playing against them, like listening to the support conversations in the GBA FE games, this made me really get into and appreciate the game and characters more ^_^ (it also explains why I like Tekken/Soulcalibur so much too, lots of diverse and interesting characters that grow more in general as the series progresses)

Smash from 64 to melee and now Brawl constant "greatness"

The Naruto GNT series is second and is amazing too

KoF is too great, SC is just o_O wow, GG is pretty epic and......

OMGFIGHTERSARETHEBESTHINGEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

MK fails!!!!!!! and I don't mean Meta Knight XD