The Magic Philosophy?

Lady Lyndis

We only know about one actual Spirit Charmer in all of Tellius (though there must be others, since so much is known about them), and he is a practitioner of dark magic.

And in the "Ancient History" conversation, Nasir referred to Spirit Charmers as "students of the dark arts."

I'm not sure if there is any actual connection between Spirit Charmers and dark magic, nor do I believe that every dark mage is a Spirit Charmer, but I think that either there are Dark Spirits or a mage gains some skill in dark magic regardless of the type of spirit he charms.

Probably the former, since people thought that Soren and Micaiah were Spirit Charmers even though neither of them ever used a dark tome. Then again, dark tomes are quite rare...

Edited by Paper Jam

We only know about one actual Spirit Charmer in all of Tellius (though there must be others, since so much is known about them), and he is a practitioner of dark magic.

I'm not sure if there is any actual connection between Spirit Charmers and dark magic, nor do I believe that every dark mage is a Spirit Charmer, but I think that either there are Dark Spirits or a mage gains some skill in dark magic regardless of the type of spirit he charms.

Wait, which one is the Spirit Charmer?

So now we run into another problem. If dark magic is also controlled by spirits (which we can infer because Pelleas is a Spirit Charmer who uses dark magic) then it is either controlled by a combination of the three anima spirits or by some yet unseen dark spirit. Or Pelleas simply uses his ability as a Spirit Charmer to use lightning magic (which I believe he learns later).

Or there's the possibility that taking the spirit into you increases your quintessence, so you can use more of it in dark magic, without using the actual anima spirit. This could be a reasonable alternative, but that contradicts the idea that the spirit eats your quintessence, because they wouldn't provide quintessence then eat it.

• 7 months later...

wow, this thread is epic...

----------

So, Fallen Angels are the sole cause and reasons why demons exist.

But "morphs" are just spirits from other living things....not demons...

Am I wrong?

Edited by StaticHD

I always assumed Nergal's morphs were closer to a homonculus: bodies created with magic, but not imbued with the same sort of essence/soul as ordinary humans. This seems to be part of their existential angst, and they can be given varying degrees of intelligence (like the morph in that one defense chapter who was basically just a programmed message). I suppose it's possible Nergal used quintessence in great quantities to create those morphs, which creates a rather odd situation where he's created beings out of souls that do not themselves have them. I can certainly see how such magic would be considered profane art.

Users of the light do not need that knowledge, for there are only concerned with there relationship with God or a divine source – The more Faith or belief they have in that source, the more power they will acquire, as well as the how much experience they have in using there powers makes or allows them to grow in spiritual power. In conclusion, they could do what Mages and Shamans do without having to rely on another source of magic as long as they follow the rules or path of their divine source.

Pretty crappy God and/or loose rules then if Kenneth and that bishop on the Western Isles (that's one damn bishop you've got there!) can use light magic.

Maybe, there's light spirits, they just talk or contact with good people. When these people help the others (normal things, right?), they was call as...well, God's emisary or savior or something like that and thus, they start to create a faction (well, for example...Church of Balavari or Watcher of Heaven) to find more people that can talk to light spirits. This way, they can creat a system that can control the continel with...light magic. There's no God. About Kenneth, he is corrupted so the light spirits should cut the connect with him but he's grow so strong so he just use them, not talking with them, poor spirits should learn how to judge people, toobad that uncle Kenneth's alreadt know them so there's no way for them to escape(The same way Sophia use spirits, please remember that there's more than 1 way to draw out the power of spirits)

I think, kind magicians like Pent or Athos tend to talk to spirits while the rude guys just use them. One question here, which way is more efficence?

And Ragnell: I think spirits dont eat your quin, only dark spirit eat your quin because they are...a little special. No anima or light mage have their quin eaten right? None of them became vegetable, ok? Only dark mage got the bonus effect.

Edited by Ga-rei Sulley

About Kenneth, he is corrupted so the light spirits should cut the connect with him but he's grow so strong so he just use them, not talking with them, poor spirits should learn how to judge people, toobad that uncle Kenneth's alreadt know them so there's no way for them to escape

I agree with that but what about Riev from Sacred Stones. From what I gather from the story line he was never what qualified as a "good" person.

About Biship Oro in Sword of Seals I think he kept his magic either because he was too powerful for the spirits to break the connection (as with Kenneth) or in his mind he still believed he was doing good and so that increased his power

Probably the former, since people thought that Soren and Micaiah were Spirit Charmers even though neither of them ever used a dark tome. Then again, dark tomes are quite rare...

The reason people thought Micaiah and Soren were spirit charmers was the brand, and I'm not sure about Dark Tomes being so rare, I mean once you get Pelleas the shop has dark magic to sell, and in Blazing Sword and Sacred stones as soon as you get a dark magic user almost all the shops/vendors sell dark tomes

Edited by ZARL

It's pretty clear that light magic comes from the patron deity of the continent. In FE 9/10 it's Ashera, in 6/7 it's St. Elmine, it's not clear in FE8 but it might be Saint Latona.

Anyway, the church of said deity usually helps out orphans and other nice shit, implying the deity is benevolent, it doesn't appear to be a prerequisite though, see FE10.

And Ragnell: I think spirits dont eat your quin, only dark spirit eat your quin because they are...a little special. No anima or light mage have their quin eaten right? None of them became vegetable, ok? Only dark mage got the bonus effect.

Oh, cool, this thread is back! :)

But yeah, the other magics don't eat your quintessence, I was just wondering why Pelleas is a Spirit Charmer who uses dark magic. So far, there has been no dark magic spirit, so I was wondering why he would take on an anima spirit to use dark magic. This is, of course, assuming that there is no dark spirit, which there very well may be in future titles.

It's pretty clear that light magic comes from the patron deity of the continent. In FE 9/10 it's Ashera, in 6/7 it's St. Elmine, it's not clear in FE8 but it might be Saint Latona.

Anyway, the church of said deity usually helps out orphans and other nice shit, implying the deity is benevolent, it doesn't appear to be a prerequisite though, see FE10.

Exactly, you don't have to be good, you just have to serve the god/goddess of that realm.

Edited by Ragnell

Magical weapons like...lightbrand or runeblade, what makes them so special? Do they use the same spirit system or something more simple?

I think that when they are forged a spirit either donates power or is trapped within the blade (the 1st for light likely, and the second for dark) Then maybe whenever they are used the spirit/spirits power is used. This is assuming that there are dark spirits which I believe there are.

There are indeed dark spirits.

Pelleas is mentioned as a charmer of dark spirits in the Epilogue.

Er, let me check what I just said. Oh, it's correct, but it's only mentioned in the Japanese version...

Edited by VincentASM

The reason people thought Micaiah and Soren were spirit charmers was the brand, and I'm not sure about Dark Tomes being so rare, I mean once you get Pelleas the shop has dark magic to sell, and in Blazing Sword and Sacred stones as soon as you get a dark magic user almost all the shops/vendors sell dark tomes

I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the Brand, but the fact that they're magic users as well.

As for the rarity of Dark Tomes... Pelleas himself said, in Part 4, Chapter 5: "Dark tomes are harder to come by than tomes of other elements." Granted, he didn't say how much harder to come by, but Tauroneo did say that Almedha had searched at every village they stopped in to find that one...

Anyway, given what Pelleas said about dark tomes, I think that the availability of dark tomes in the shop in Part 4 Chapter 5 and Endgame is a case of gameplay-and-story-segregation. And the rarity of dark tomes in FE9 and 10 has no bearing on the rarity of dark tomes in FE6, 7, and 8.

Edited by Paper Jam