Cavalier question

uzy5o

It may just be me but a playthrough just doesn't seem complete without giving Oscar Bows.

Astrid always get's Axes when I use her.

Same for Makalov.

Kieran get's Swords.

I thought you retired from playing fire emblem

Anywasy give oscar axes,

astrid axes

makalov lance and kieran sword

I should mention that I usually find Bows the best for Kieran. Axes are good enough that Lances aren't really necessary in most cases and Bows gives him a good ranged option. That's just my opinion though.
Too lazy to read through the thread but:

Oscar- axes

Kieran- lances

Astrid- axes

Makalov- axes

Any other choice is demonstrably inferior.

orly? Kieran with bows certainly has a case.

Well, what do we have here? I really would like to see a reason why Lances are so much better than Bows for Kieran.

Well, what do we have here? I really would like to see a reason why Lances are so much better than Bows for Kieran.

He can't counter with bows. Yes, there exists situations where that won't matter, but sticking to lances, he doesn't have to hit & run away as often, or fear that terrible enemy phase inefficiency that all bow users share.

He can't counter with bows. Yes, there exists situations where that won't matter, but sticking to lances, he doesn't have to hit & run away as often, or fear that terrible enemy phase inefficiency that all bow users share.

And Axes don't cover that well enough already? Bows at least open up that opportunity with a better ranged option, and if enemy phase is really looking bad, there's always Canto + trade. The point is, I don't see Lances offering anything that Axes don't already give (Except WT, but that hardly matters by the time he promotes) while Bows give some, if situational, more options.

I'd say Kieran is flexible enough to Canto somewhere where someone else can go next to him, trade an axe to the top of his inventory, and lose out on little to nothing. Provided he wants to use a bow to begin with. But I'd still rather have lances for WTA over swordies.

And Axes don't cover that well enough already? Bows at least open up that opportunity with a better ranged option, and if enemy phase is really looking bad, there's always Canto + trade. The point is, I don't see Lances offering anything that Axes don't already give (Except WT, but that hardly matters by the time he promotes) while Bows give some, if situational, more options.

Well, bows start at E rank, so they're not even superior to begin with, and even if they get to be, it's that vs javelins we're talking about, so the difference is still rather minimal. Another thing is having lances doesn't simply have WT control advantages... you also get more access to special weapons. Why only be able to use a braxe axe when you can use a brave lance as well? Same applies to killers, laguzslayer type weapons, all of which are finite in this game. Sure, you could say the same for bows, but that only applies once every turn unless you make a situational trade.

Edited by Vykan12

Don't enemies suffer from a horrid case of suck syndrome, meaning the the big K can easily kill stuff with hand?
They don't suck completely. They get two rounded pretty easily, and many chars do end up having doubling problems near endgame.

Well, bows start at E rank, so they're not even superior to begin with, and even if they get to be, it's that vs javelins we're talking about, so the difference is still rather minimal. Another thing is having lances doesn't simply have WT control advantages... you also get more access to special weapons. Why only be able to use a braxe axe when you can use a brave lance as well? Same applies to killers, laguzslayer type weapons, all of which are finite in this game. Sure, you could say the same for bows, but that only applies once every turn unless you make a situational trade.

You have a point. I suppose it's more a matter of personal preference and playstyle since he already has Axes.

Enemies have semi-decent stats. FE9 enemies have decent defenses. Killing with a hand axe is likely not happening unless it's forged. Low power and low hit both. That said, javelin offers a bit better hit on the 1-2 range, but at the cost of a bit lower mt, and it's flat out worse against enemy javelins and hand axes. Iron lance is nice on myrmidons.

The problem with bows is that I don't see that range being needed often, especially since he's stuck with phail iron bows for several attacks, and he doesn't really nees to avoid counterattacks. But it does help that soon after he promotes, there are several enemy fliers. Iron bow is his best bet against ravens of ch 18 and is just as good offensively as steel axe against the many wyvern riders of 18, 19, and 20 while possibly allowing him extra canto range.

Edited by Reikken