Why is the death of a father needed for a main character to man up?

Masu

Because in a lot of these things the hero is some goddamn kid who realistically would be a pretty poor choice to save the world or whatever, and if their father figure is still around one would wonder why they don't just ask their more competent parent to go solve the problem instead.

The closest thing Kenshin has to a father is his master, I don't think they even talked about his parents. He manned up because of the revolution and wanting to help protect people.

I think they did in the first OVA, iirc.

The closest thing Kenshin has to a father is his master, I don't think they even talked about his parents. He manned up because of the revolution and wanting to help protect people.

If I remember the manga right, after Hiko saved Kenshin from the bandits, he said his parents were poor farmers who died from cholera. After that, he was taken captive by slave traders, where he befriended three slave girls who would take care of him like if they were their mothers, and he lost them as well during said bandit attack.