31 members have voted

1. 1. Poll

• A well-rounded individual reasonably talented in all areas
    • A savant who excels in one area at the expense of the others

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well rounded because I'd rather be skilled at both breathing and eating rather than being awesome at breathing but not knowing how to eat or vice versa.

This is really difficult.

To accel in an area more than everyone else.

As a teen right now that is what I want. I would wanna be alright at alot of things but I want one area to just shine and people say "Man Gianni is really really great at this" as opposed to "He's good at that". Personally right now I want that something to be Brawl, sounds kinda ignorant I know, but I don't need help with school and Brawl is really competitive here in Florida so I'm really trying to stand above pros here so people can start to know my name, or my tag lol.

Yes, I read the rest of the thread.

Perhaps I did not phrase that properly: What the fuck is wrong with your brain?

Then maybe you should reread it, paying attention to context.

Then you'll notice you're raging at the wrong person.

Then maybe you should reread it, paying attention to context.

Then you'll notice you're raging at the wrong person.

I'm railing at one of two people, unless your first post towards him was sarcasm.

At which point I would feel sheepish.

Art and music enrich our lives, but you still have to eat, you know?

Even if you're talented in one of those area's, you still need to be able to market yourself to earn some money. Get the wrong person to do that for you and he'll empty your pockets while you're looking.

Edited by Tamara

In the context of this topic? Yes, it's not unlikely. Well, they wouldn't literally starve, but their situation would be far from ideal unless they are surrounded by the right people. Savants generally have autism or another developmental disorder. That does not help you ahead in life. Even someone with high functioning autism could have a hard time holding a simple job, going to the supermarket etc.

Edited by Tamara

In the context of this topic? Yes, it's not unlikely. Well, they wouldn't literally starve, but their situation would be far from ideal unless they are surrounded by the right people. Savants generally have autism or another developmental disorder. That does not help you ahead in life. Even someone with high functioning autism could have a hard time holding a simple job, going to the supermarket etc.

Wow.

there has been a lot of discussion about being one or the other, so i thought about clarifying something here.

well-rounded guy- can function in many different areas, but doesn't excel in any. average all-around.

savant- excels in one area and is the best in it, but is below average everywhere else.

there is no middle ground in this thing, only extremes.

Edited by Persephone

Autism was not mentioned a single time in this topic. Where do you get "savants generally have autism or another developmental disorder" from, though? I have seen nothing in my life that suggests that is commonplace.

Art and music enrich our lives, but you still have to eat, you know?

Even if you're talented in one of those area's, you still need to be able to market yourself to earn some money. Get the wrong person to do that for you and he'll empty your pockets while you're looking.

You do know that you can meet an unlikely entry into poverty in every single field out there, right?

In the context of this topic? Yes, it's not unlikely. Well, they wouldn't literally starve, but their situation would be far from ideal unless they are surrounded by the right people.

The same is of course true of every fucking profession in existence.

Savants generally have autism or another developmental disorder. That does not help you ahead in life. Even someone with high functioning autism could have a hard time holding a simple job, going to the supermarket etc.

No, no they're not. You're talking about idiot savants, which is not even close to what is being discussed. No one is talking about being incredibly talented in one area in exchange for several mental capabilities.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Idiot savants have extremely low mental capacities. Savants also have developmental disorders, but have higher intelligence. IQ doesn't say that much about how well you can function in society by the way.

The same is of course true of every fucking profession in existence.

Yes, but isn't art/music considered a uncertain career for regular talented people? Wouldn't it be even worse for a savant?

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/sav...asked_questions

Savant Syndrome is a rare, but spectacular, condition in which persons with various developmental disorders, including autistic disorder, have astonishing islands of ability, brilliance or talent that stand in stark, markedly incongruous contrast to overall limitations. The condition can be congenital (genetic or inborn), or can be acquired later in childhood, or even in adults. The savant skills co-exist with, or are superimposed upon, various developmental disabilities including autistic disorder, or other conditions such as mental retardation or brain injury or disease that occurs before (pre-natal) during (peri-natal) or after birth (post-natal), or even later in childhood or adult life. The extraordinary skills are always linked with prodigious memory of a special type — exceedingly deep but very, very narrow.

Some people here are underestimating the consequences of a chaotic intelligence profile, that is why savant characteristics were brought up. Savant syndrome is an extreme and a topic like this works best with extremes, right?

I would like to be well rounded, but as it stands I'm currently a savant when it comes to music.

I have a cousin who also has an incredible talent for music. He can replay a piece he has heard once as long as he's familiar with the instrument. He can't compose music himself, though.

Edited by Tamara

Actual research is still better than basing your ideas on stereotypes you saw on television shows.

I go by definition. If you can do no better than attempt to belittle, I guess I'm done.

And Yokai, someone was talking about autistic savants, saying that it is commonplace somewhat, when that isn't even what this topic is talking about. Snowball effect combined with boredom I suppose.

Edited by Death

What definition? The one you pulled from your ass? The one found in some 300 year old dictionary?

And this discussion started because some artsy type felt insulted when I said artistic/musical talent alone won't get you through life. Even the best artists need social skills and business sense to be succesful. An only slightly talented artist who knows how to market himself will probably have an easier time paying the bills.

Of course, you may want a special talent purely for personal reasons, but you'll still need to provide for yourself one way or another. Not only that, most people will see you as weird/dumb guy who can do this one thing extremely well. It will define your life and without that one talent, you'll just be weird/dumb.

And before we start about the whole savant thing again: yes, there are talented people who aren't at the very least odd in one way or another. However, that doesn't mean savants do not exist. They do and it's what people were reminded of when they read the discriptions in the opening post. Someone people apparently didn't read the "but below avarage in all other area's" and wanted to be avarage and have a special talent. Well, that wasn't the point!