Are games becoming easier nowadays?

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/02/04/big...imDBDL1_link1-a

Do you think games becoming easier nowadays? I for one agree with this article. I usually hear people complain about easy games nowadays, and newer releases that I played weren't very hard at all.

Edited by Black Luster Soldier

I think they are in some ways and not in others.

Radiant Dawn is a good example because it's an OK difficulty but Vulneries have nearly triple the amount of uses and double the HP recovery.

Let's see, in Final Fantasies, yes, as the hardest one was FE1 I THINK.

Super Robot Wars, albeit having enemies with 1000k, is getting easier and easier each installation.

You don't have games as challenging as Ninja Gaiden 1, or Battletoads, or even Double Dragon nowadays.

Yes, but there is hope. Mario Kart Wii's 150cc is more brutal and harder than ever.

I breezed through it :(

Same with Super Mario Galaxy. The bosses were complete trash in terms of longevity. The plus side to the gaming is that there's tons more exploration involved, which is sort of good trade-off for games like Zelda and shooters.

not that i'm arguing against it, but you have to consider that way back in the before-time people didn't have much experience with games, which could make them appear harder. since nowadays most gamers are more experienced with games, it can make it seem as if today's games are easier.

that could be one of the factors. i do agree that before games were slightly more difficult, but not as much as it's made out to be.

Edited by Persephone

I thought it was pretty easy since there are alot of broken guns

Metriod Prime 2 nuff said

Like the Broken Butterfly?

Ah yes, Boost Guardian is a VERY tough boss to beat. One of the thoughest ever

Games need multiple difficulty settings like Fire Emblem has always had (Only played FE6-10). The differences between the difficulties must be significant too.
NoA took out FE9's Maniac Mode. FE9 tried to do the right thing, then NoA screws everything up. Hopefully they won't do the same in the future.
I thought it was pretty easy since there are alot of broken guns
Then don't use the broken guns! You can start a new game that doesn't give you that stuff.

I agree with Bianchi. People are more experienced with games these days, so it makes it feel like they're easier. There is also ways in which the gaming industry itself has improved and games are made to be better suited to the people that play them, if that makes any sense.

the hell you talking about games getting easier? some of them just suck and that's why they are easy others are too hard for words

I agree with Bianchi. People are more experienced with games these days, so it makes it feel like they're easier. There is also ways in which the gaming industry itself has improved and games are made to be better suited to the people that play them, if that makes any sense.

@Bold: Yeah, it's called "nuke the difficulty so every1 can beat the games and no1 will complain about it like they did with Xbox's Ninja Gaiden".

Compare most games to stuff like Contra, early castlevanias and the NES Ninja Gaiden games, you'll die a few times (or never) in the games of today but you're bound to die a shitload of times in those old games. Heck the Zelda example was pretty valid because Zelda seems to get easier with each new game.

Glad there's still a few games that have some difficulty.

Edited by Levin

not that i'm arguing against it, but you have to consider that way back in the before-time people didn't have much experience with games, which could make them appear harder. since nowadays most gamers are more experienced with games, it can make it seem as if today's games are easier.

THis doesn't make sense because then playing these games now would mean that there is no difficulty differance.

that could be one of the factors. i do agree that before games were slightly more difficult, but not as much as it's made out to be.

But then you have those people who rate games low or just bawww when it's difficult (See: God Hand, Radiant Dawn, Dracula X Chronicles).

Games are easier these days, definitely. Most of them, at least.

Games are much easier because people whine whenever they lose at a game. Developers have learned that people like to win. Unfortunately for people looking for a challenge, like me, the best we'll usually get now is a hard/veteran mode alongside the easy mode.

Game makers should look to Super Mario Galaxy for a good balance of difficulty. The first half of the game was fairly easy (pretty much the whole story), but some of the extra missions were very hard, especially as Luigi. It gives hard-core gamers a challenge without alienating newcomers.

Of course they are. In Legend of Zelda you could easily die dozens of times on your first playthrough. In Twilight Princess, I didn't die once in my first playthrough.

I got killed by the shop Parrot. That and this one time in the first Twilight area were the only times I died.

I finished Metroid Fusion and Zero mission then I play Super Metroid but I still say that Super Metroid is a lot harder then Fusion and Zero mission.