The Great Cellular Rip-off!

x14113

I want to to see if the below story is occurring elsewhere.

I went to a nearby Gamestop where I reserved my copy of FEDS, and when the game was provided, I noticed the art cell that was supposed to come with the preorder wasn't even there! Upon informing the clerk, she replied that she had not come across them yet, but they may be in the boxes yet unopened. She asked me to check back in about one hour, so I took the time to find lunch nearby.

Upon returning, the clerk still hasn't found the cells, but one box still wasn't opened. I decided to wait around to see if they were in there.

It wasn't.

This led to a scramble to see what exactly was going on. The information disclosed has proven infuriating:

--Not a single store in Arkansas received any of the cells;

--The closest stores to receive cells were in Mississippi and Tennessee (this GS was closer to Oklahoma); and

--If a store did not receive any cells, they weren't getting them, period.

If the above is true, then this debacle amounts to deception and fraud. There were displays in every GS I have visited that advertised that a cell would be given with every reserved copy while supplies last. The trouble here was that many areas did not even get a supply, which left them totally unable to follow through on their end of the deal.

Keep in mind that I was the very first in this particular store to pick up a reserved copy, so even if that store got only one cell, I should have been the one to get it.

If this debacle is not rectified, FE will get publicity in ways many wish it wouldn't. Furthermore, if this was a call on the store's end, we must let them know that such practices will hurt them dearly in the long run.

So, did anyone else run into this issue? If so, what are your thoughts?

Edited by x14113

I uh, got the cell.

It says on the back that only 23,345 of them were made, so I guess that counts as pretty limited.

If anyone's curious, compared to how it looks online as a poster and all, this thing is drop dead gorgeous. I was almost literally drooling over it on the way home. :wub:

Sounds shitty that not everyone who reserved it got a cell, but maybe there weren't as many cells as there were people who registered it. That wouldn't technically be cheating people out...

EDIT: Er, that is to say, when I say "not as many cells as people who registered", GameStop might have received a limited quantity before they even announced the offer, and that would mean that they were SERIOUS about 'while supplies last'.

Edited by Aori Radidjiu

That's not quite what I meant.

I think they received just one group of Cells, just that 23,345 cells, and that's all they had to begin with. Something along those lines. They had that many Cells before the release, and regardless of how many reservations they got, that's all they could give out.

This is just speculation on my part, though, so I'm quite open to being wrong.

A GameStop in Boson where I had pre-ordered Shadow Dragon a couple of months ago was also devoid of the art bonus. I wouldn't know if there was a supply shortage or not. When Luminous Arc 2 was supposed to have arrived at GameStop, I went to the store to find that the game hadn't yet arrived but the pre-order bonus art books had. When I returned the following afternoon to pick up the game, the store had, much to my chagrin, exhausted their art book supply. Because of this prior experience I had assumed that there were some Fire Emblem fans in the area who picked up the game (and the art cells) this morning, but perhaps that wasn't necessarily the case.

...only 23,345 of them were made...

Let's take that quantity and do some number-crunching.

Gamestop operates 5889 stores as of last year, according to Forbes. Assuming that each store (some of which are outside the US) got an equal share of the total, you would find about 3 or 4 cels in each store. That's not a huge number, which is to be expected, but still very reasonable considering anticipated reservations and sales.

Again, though, it's not so much the quantity as it is the distribution, as we have entire states deprived of these cels.

The clerk did encourage me to check back regularly in case this is a shipping matter, and that she would save one for me if available. If that is truly the case, then I can take a deep breath, but it still wounds confidence for such a situation to occur.

I got It. Suck's for you through. But, it said on their poster the game came out the February 17, but it came out only the February 18. So, ya, were equal. you got it before, but I got the limited cell but got it later.

You mean Gamestop once again ran out of the pre-order bonus...they should stop offering them if they can't supply them. It is bad enough they are charging $5 more than the RRP of the game...personally that alone is the reason why you sohuldn't buy the game from them

It says on the back that only 23,345 of them were made, so I guess that counts as pretty limited.

Huh? I thought it was going to be 25,000...

For anyone who missed out. I'm sure you can do something with the wallpaper. (left bottom; its the same bit of art)

i reserved my game incredibly late and got a cell =D

it looks pretty awesome, but it's really small...

on another note, i thought the title said 'the great cavalier rip-off'...

Edited by Reinfleche