Barst

Cord also starts out weaker than Barst.

Anyway, is there even a big difference between Pirate Barst and Fighter Barst? The class growths are the same and the bases aren't too far off. =\

Anyway, is there even a big difference between Pirate Barst and Fighter Barst? The class growths are the same and the bases aren't too far off. =\

Can promote into Berserker, therefore meaning +10 critical rate.

Barst has superior HP/Def, doesn't need to be babied as much as Cord and his fail initial accuracy, and still doubles and owns everything on NM thanks to his high base.

Merc>Berserker is my personal favorite Barst config, btw

Pirate surrenders 1 SPD and 2 HP for +1 DEF and the ability to walk on Sea terrain. In NM, as long as the pirate is doubling, the +1 DEF will probably better. Their promoted versions are a different story though.

Barst has superior HP/Def, doesn't need to be babied as much as Cord and his fail initial accuracy, and still doubles and owns everything on NM thanks to his high base.

>_>. 1% accuracy difference so it's not exactly "bad initial accuracy"

Edited by Levin

It's also worth mentioning that Water Walk is reallly ficking awesome for the few chapters you have it, and the crit boost definitely doesn't hurt. Berserker always gets a ton of cool utility stuff, only now it's even more important than usual since they're the ONLY class that gets either 10% crit or water walk, let alone both. On top of all that, they have access to axes, best weapon on the game.

zerkers ftw

How does Cord win statistically though?

Superior str/spd doesn't really matter when you're already thrashing everything on the field, does it? I'd take an HP/Def lead over that.

Unless you mean H5, where, of course, it isn't very hard to beat Ogma latergame :/

How does Cord win statistically though?

Superior str/spd doesn't really matter when you're already thrashing everything on the field, does it? I'd take an HP/Def lead over that.

Unless you mean H5, where, of course, it isn't very hard to beat Ogma latergame :/

In normal mode they're both pretty much the same (mid-lategame) since they're 1 rounding everything soon enough

I mean to keep that in my previous post. But yeah I was mostly talking about H5 when I mentioned Cord's statistical win over Ogma. The slight HP/DEF lead he has on Cord isn't helping much.

Edited by Levin

Superior HP/Def doesn't really matter when you're already surviving everything on the field, does it? I'd take an str/spd lead over that.

etc

Edited by Mekkah

Surviving everything better>Killing everything better. There's no difference between 18 dmg x2 and 22 dmg x2 on a 30 HP enemy. Even if a durability lead is only meaning that character can take only 1 more hit that's still more useful than a few extra points of damage that don't matter. And it doesn't really take all that much HP/Def to take an extra hit.

see, enemy deals 11 dmg to Ogma, 12 to Cord. Ogma has 35 HP, Cord has 32. This is only a 3 HP and 1 def gap and Ogma can take an extra hit. Also mind that this comparison was pulled out of thin air for the sole purpose of using it as an example: Ogma doesn't get a def lead on Cord. Cord wins defense, actually.

moreover, Ogma's durability lead on Cord is MUCH larger than that, like, 10/11 HP versus Cord's one defense at equal levels, never mind that Ogma can probably squeeze a level lead over him since Ogma starts at a higher level and Cord has a really crappy earlygame. Also worth mentioning that Cord loses that one defense lead he has on Ogma over time.

Edited by Sweet Tooth

Superior HP/Def doesn't really matter when you're already surviving everything on the field, does it? I'd take an str/spd lead over that.

etc

This is true in H5 but not true in Normal.

In H5, chances are that Ogma's HP/DEF won't stop him dying in the same number of as Cord (it may but of this, I'm not entirely sure). That's when Cord's statistical leads make him better than Ogma but like Chainey and I pointed out, Ogma's earlygame usefulness is enough to say Ogma > Cord in both NM and H5. This could've been different if Cord had a base D rank in Axes.

Edited by Levin

I'm merely pointing out the flaw in using "enemies suck" to belittle one stat lead but not the other.

By no means are enemies in NM heavy hitters, but they're far enough from peashooters to warrant there being some danger.

On the offense side, I could one round everything in even the final chapter with a wet noodle. So really, for NM, offense is based on three things:

1: Access to 1-2 range

2: How quickly you can kill stuff

3: Weither or not you actually fail so hard you CAN'T kill stuff [About 10 to 15 percent of the cast falls under this catagory]

Offense leads don't matter unless the character losing offense is one of those ten to fifteen percent on NM. Defense is far more important. Zagaro>Wolf for a reason.

I made him a mercenary, and his has better stats in all categories (save hp) then Ogma, and is 3 levels behind.

I have only leveled him once as a mercenary.

Does he get good gains as one?