Something I Find A Bit Funny

Steven Tyler

So yesterday for extra credit, I went to my Reading class for a discussion about stereotype, religion, politics, and racism within the Black community along with a few Middle Eastern students. We all came in with mutual respect for one another and we made sure that we kept things under control and not get offended. I mean, of course there was a few "disagreements" but also, we started to understand why we feel that way and also debunked many stereotypes about one another culture. At the end, we all became fast friends and promise to say "Hi" or sit down and talk with each other again.

Now, on the internet, if you ever try to talk about religion, politics, racism, etc., you have flamers, assholes, and jackasses harassing you for reasons like you're religious, you have a different political viewpoint, they bring in ignorant ass stereotypes about a race they do not understand. They go full scale in the harassment and flames and mocking, just plain ignorance and disrespect. Why is that?

I can see while in my first paragraph in that situation for the respect and understanding is that everyone is face-to-face, we're all adults and we all go to the same school but in my second paragraph, since you may never see anyone in the debate, they fell tht they have the right to flame and do all the ignorance shit, you know?

On the internet, you aren't face to face, so some people forget to take emotions into account. They fight for their beliefs, but forget that there's another person on the other end of the computer.

So yesterday for extra credit, I went to my Reading class for a discussion about stereotype, religion, politics, and racism within the Black community along with a few Middle Eastern students. We all came in with mutual respect for one another and we made sure that we kept things under control and not get offended. I mean, of course there was a few "disagreements" but also, we started to understand why we feel that way and also debunked many stereotypes about one another culture. At the end, we all became fast friends and promise to say "Hi" or sit down and talk with each other again.

Now, on the internet, if you ever try to talk about religion, politics, racism, etc., you have flamers, assholes, and jackasses harassing you for reasons like you're religious, you have a different political viewpoint, they bring in ignorant ass stereotypes about a race they do not understand. They go full scale in the harassment and flames and mocking, just plain ignorance and disrespect. Why is that?

I can see while in my first paragraph in that situation for the respect and understanding is that everyone is face-to-face, we're all adults and we all go to the same school but in my second paragraph, since you may never see anyone in the debate, they fell tht they have the right to flame and do all the ignorance shit, you know?

Really? I find similar results online and offline, or at least, I do basically exactly the same thing, but maybe people offline are more easily cowed into submission by my excited yelling and condescending tone...

Okay, listen, I like you but you need to stop this bullshit, it got old fast. You talk about all of this flaming and people harassing you for being religious, cool, get fucking used to it. Religious people harass those who are not just the same, they insult us just the same, stop trying to make it sound like Christians are being persecuted or some bullshit. You're not.

Okay, listen, I like you but you need to stop this bullshit, it got old fast. You talk about all of this flaming and people harassing you for being religious, cool, get fucking used to it. Religious people harass those who are not just the same, they insult us just the same, stop trying to make it sound like Christians are being persecuted or some bullshit. You're not.

Lol. You are correct!

I don't though, unless I'm angry, which is barely an excuse. But at least I don't do it behind another's back like a lot of people IRL do...

Edited by FEFL

Talking face to face with someone allows you to see they're human. Most conflicts in history come from a lack of "cross cutting cleavages" (titter titter [double pun]) in society, IE lack of interaction between people of various beliefs and social status. You're more likely to tell someone to shut the fuck up if they're bashing gay people if you have a gay friend or family member. Most often the most isolationist and reactionary groups are the most homogeneous and segregated populations (if this sounds a lot like many well, christian or religious communities, then you may have stumbled upon why there religion is an issue that often deteriorates into the dehumanization of others).

The term "cross cutting cleavages", by the way, comes from various political scientists describing modernization theory, and why urbanizing societies tend to become more tolerant, liberalizing societies (namely because cities bring a lot of very different people into very close contact with each other). Look up Daniel Lerner or Seymour Martin Lipsit if you want to read more (or for my favorite account, read Ashutosh Varshney, although his specific analysis is in India and he uses the term "building bridges", which is basically the same thing).

The internet however, does not really bring people together in the same way as face to face interactions, hence many individuals take the offence and often instigate inflammatory and extremist debates, only to be fed more by individuals like myself who are in it for the lulz.

Edited by Black Knight

I don't know how you could ever sit peaceably and discuss things with either group. They're all a bunch of racists and murderers, you shouldn't associate with them; how can we expect our youth to learn proper, accepting values unless we keep them far away from the groups which time and again demonstrate those undesirable traits? I believe websites such as 4chan actually show forthrightness and probity in honestly admitting their misgivings and judgments.

Edited by Crepe Knight

I don't know how you could ever sit peaceably and discuss things with either group. They're all a bunch of racists and murderers, you shouldn't associate with them; how can we expect our youth to learn proper, accepting values unless we keep them far away from the groups which time and again demonstrate those undesirable traits?

I think I'm in love.

Edited by Proud_Black_Man