How often do you choose units in part 1 to raise?

CGV

Besides Micaiah, Sothe, and Laguz... Who do you raise from part 1 to be in your main team for the rest of the game? I was wondering myself who people usually choose at the beginning so I made a topic :D

Edward: Used him all 4 runthroughs. He's pretty good

Leonardo: Used him the first game because I didn't know about his speed suckage, then used him the next two only because of Lughnasadh (and because I liked to make him and Eddie support buddies), I cut him from my fourth game because of his bad speed

Nolan: Used him twice, he's alright and Tarvos is a good defense mechanism, but Boyd surpasses him in strength (which is what fighters are known for) big time, so I stuck with Boyd for my Reaver

Laura: I never actually raised her because I have Micaiah and she is forced, so she's always my light magic user, but she's good for healing

Ilyana: I didn't use her the first game because I wanted to use new units and boy did I regret it. I'm glad I used her my second, third and chose her for my fourth runthrough

Aran: Used him on the first and third game and I'm using him on my fourth game. He doesn't have much speed, but he sure as hell has strength and defense

Meg: HA! I've never used her. Edward is my sword unit for part one

Jill: Used her once because I use Haar everytime and he's damn good, but she's still pretty good, too. I'm using her this runthrough

Zihark: This guy kicks ass, but since I am such a Mia fan, I only used him once, but he was still pretty good

Tauroneo: I don't use prepromotes (the ones from PoR) except for Shinon and Haar

Fiona: Pain in the ass at the beginning, but ends up damn good. Used once

Tormod: Never raised him because of his bad availability. He seems like he'd turn out well

I've already played through the game about 3-4 times, so the DB units I choose the raise are mostly for trying something new. Technically the best two DB units to raise are Nolan and Zihark, because of the unique flavor of WTFPWN that they bring when supported together with appropriate skills/weapons, but that makes the game too easy.

So, I use crappy units. Currently I'm doing Hard Mode with Meg and Eddie. I tried doing Meg, Eddie, and Fiona, but after resetting on chapter 1-7 about 15 times, I gave up on trying to baby three units at once. I'll do Fiona next time, maybe with Leo (whom I have never taken to Endgame). I am also working on Volug, who I got to S-Strike in Part 1 so that he'd be more useful in Part 3 once I can take off that awful Halfshift ability.

I like Ilyana, even though she sucks. But, I've used her in my last three playthroughs, so she's benched for now. Aran is very good, but I have an unnatural love for Nephenee and he never makes my final team for that reason. Jill is great, better than Haar in late game, and I don't think I've ever done a playthrough where she didn't feature prominently (I have her buddied with Meg this time).

Tauroneo only exists for two reasons: to rescue some filler unit in 1-6 so that he doesn't double, and to steal his Resolve to give to someone else. I also don't use anyone from the Laguz Empancipation Army, mostly because their availibility is so awful that I can't stand the thought of using 4-4 to get them up to par.

The main one is Edward, my favourite SM. He maxed everything exept magic in my first playthrough, so I'm going to be using him more often. He's a little weak as a Myrmidon/Swordmaster, but he's amazing as a trueblade.

I'm thinking of using Nolan in my second playthrough, because I think he's cool, (check my sig.) but his low strength really bugs me.

Aran can be very useful as a tank, but most people don't use him because Neph is there... I'm not even going to bother talking about how awesome she is, she got 1st in my 1st playthrough.

I premoted laura in my 1st playthrough, as I thought it would be useful for the DB to have another healer, but the sad fact is that with Micaiah around there's not much point in training bishops...

Besides Micaiah, Sothe, and Laguz... Who do you raise from part 1 to be in your main team for the rest of the game? I was wondering myself who people usually choose at the beginning so I made a topic :D

Actually, the only people on that list that made it to endgame were Tormod and Jill. Tormod's availability kills him, but here what you can do get him caught up.

-Raise four tank units, one healer and use them on Ike's team for 4-4. Only give them vulneraries, no weapons. Tormod can heal them after he promotes, so more exp for him. The armors will protect him and healers will heal him after indirect attacks. You know where I'm going with this.

-BEXP, though only recommended to finish leveling up Tormod after the above method.

The only really atrocious unit on that list is Fiona, in my opinion. Meg has good bases for a level 3 unit, and the early stat items actually shore up her two biggest weaknesses.

Although I guess protecting Laura is always a pain. I'm probably just used it since she gets used every playthrough. :-P

The only really atrocious unit on that list is Fiona, in my opinion.

I can agree that she has a horrible starting position. She has 2 chapters to fight on, both of which give her a movement penalty, and bad bases. However, given the opportunity, she turns out to be a great unit.

I can agree that she has a horrible starting position. She has 2 chapters to fight on, both of which give her a movement penalty, and bad bases. However, given the opportunity, she turns out to be a great unit.

i second that. she was amazing during my playthrough, like a mounted goddess. i think this is to apologize for making her such a bad unit when you first recruited her.

The only really atrocious unit on that list is Fiona, in my opinion. Meg has good bases for a level 3 unit, and the early stat items actually shore up her two biggest weaknesses.

Although I guess protecting Laura is always a pain. I'm probably just used it since she gets used every playthrough. :-P

In my mind, she gets used all the time.

That's true, Fiona has really good SPD and DEF once she gets going. Decent SPD cap, too, doubles just about everything that she needs to. She also comes so close to capping everything, that with BEXP abuse she DOES cap everything. ;)