WonderCon '09: The Fire Emblem Booth

Fire Emblem has a bit of a reputation for being a niche strategy RPG -- the sort of thing that only dedicated fans would embrace. You know, the sort who don't mind resetting four or five times a mission to save a character.

But as with pretty much all of their other franchises, Nintendo is set on introducing the adventures of Marth and company to a new audience. Maybe not the Wii Sports crowd, but definitely the sort who have never picked up an RPG like this before. So it's time for a reboot, and it looks like Nintendo of America is actually pushing Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon pretty hard, because the game has a significant presence at WonderCon.

I hung around the booth and chatted with a few of the workers who were preparing to bring Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon to the masses, and was pleased to see that most of them (or the ones I talked to, at least) had gotten into the series with the self-titled Fire Emblem. That game, of course, was also meant to be an introduction for people who were terrified of the series. Guess we've come full circle.

They also asked me what I thought of Shadow Dragon, and I mumbled a little bit. Something about simpler characters and 2.5D graphics. And I'll give them credit for this, because the people I was talking to at the time shrugged and said, "Yeah, you've got us there." Score one for honest criticism, I guess.

I'll be back at WonderCon today, hopefully to have a quick chat with some of the Treehouse gang, who were responsible for localizing this and pretty much every other Nintendo game. So keep an eye out for that interview -- I have a few questions to ask about a certain Fire Emblem 6...

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=898236...cUserId=5725436

I'm glad they don't give up...

Try to get Fire Emblem more popular is always a good thing :D

Haha, I was going to post that, but then I looked at the date, which said Jan 29. Still, I'm guessing it was just posted recently or something.

I quite like the look of that replica Falchion. Also, hopefully they do manage to question the localisation team (perhaps the question of why America got the game later might come up?).

Fire Emblem has a bit of a reputation for being a niche strategy RPG -- the sort of thing that only dedicated fans would embrace. You know, the sort who don't mind resetting four or five times a mission to save a character.

C'mon people: a number of European, Australian, and American gaming sites have large discussion forums--seemingly always active--dedicated to these games. Hell, at GameFAQs, be it idiocity or genuine, most systems with Fire Emblems have said games in their Top 10 discussion boards. Not to mention that a number of console and handheld SRPGs are now being compared to the Fire Emblem franchise, even in minute doses, such as "At least we can revive characters here."

The series is hardly niche. Kid Icarus--without the fanfare of fans--is niche. Most people only truly know of the game because others always mention it. Fire Emblem has players far more frequently who have actually played a game.

Part of the promotion down at WonderCon involed some cards. Apparently this is the complete set:

IMG_0578.jpg

I found this in this thread I would link to the exact post but they seem to down currently. Btw, I'm hosting them myself incase they are ever moved or deleted