Preliminary character analysis for fanfiction writing.

Caradryan

Greetings, all. :)

I'm not sure if this is the proper section to put this question, but seeing no better location, I thought this place would be ideal. This is character analysis for a fanwork in progress, and as such, there is BOUND to be spoilers. If you have not completed Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, I would suggest that we stop here.

Anyways, onto the rant.

After finishing Radiant Dawn, I am in the process of outlining a fictional piece; a love story, so to speak between some of the Crimean characters. The first is the relationship between Bastian and Lucia. I am personally rather disappointed at the fact that the two didn't quite...get together. Of course, fanfiction can fix that. Judging from the Wiki and support conversations from Path of Radiance, it seems that Lucia does not necessary "hate" Bastian, per se. Rather, she see him as somewhat annoying at most, but I find the "hints" provided at the character synopsis a little contradictory. Is it explicitly stated that the two never marry in-game? I don't seem to recall reading about that at all.

From my understanding, Bastian doesn't mean to be annoying - I read him as an intelligent, well-read man with an obscenely large vocabulary who is well-meaning, but too verbose for his own good. Quite a romantic at heart, but not exactly the most knowledgeable in terms of picking up women - he could be thought of as a less effective version of Sain. Bastian is more or less both genre-savvy and genre-blind at the same time, as he KINDA know how to pick up women, based around the time, and all (If anyone else in Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn actually talked like that, that is). The floweriness of his speech IS quite endearing, especially if he can write Sonnets or something, and I think anyone being wooed like that has to warm up at some point, mm?

Except, of course, he runs into Lucia. While I'm sure his efforts might have worked significantly better on anyone else, Lucia seems to remain aloof and distant. Why? I have no idea. Actually, I have no solid, concrete interpretation of Lucia; there is simply not much of her that Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn provides. We know that she was raised alongside Elincia, and the two are extremely close. We know that personality-wise, she's probably like her brother (Who I SWEAR is Ephraim in disguise.), and we know that she likely suffered a traumatic experience at the hands of Ludveck. That's about it. Beyond that, nothing.

So, how can I interpret the female lead? Something about her...I've missed. A particular note mentioned in an obscure conversation, perhaps. Or something else.

Both the Count of Faye and Lucia share a common sense of duty - to the Queen. As such, it is quite easy to use this relationship in creative writing to put them on some path where (hopefully) romance will spark. I think it is quite possible to entertain the idea of Lucia eventually warming up to him and possibly reciprocating those feelings through extended prose, but I would prefer the fact that I'm not breaking too much canon while creating it.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate anything that would contribute to the discussion. Or, what the heck, flame if you want. I know Lucia isn't really that much of a Swordmaster anyways, but at least she's no Karla.

P.S. I will make a note here in regards to her relationship with Elincia, as I think that was made pretty obvious. They share a sort of empathic bond that only individuals extremely close to each other possess - in other words, a sort of intuitive feeling for the other's thoughts and emotions. However, this doesn't really tell us much about her character - only that she has a close friend in which she could probably dump her thoughts on, except for the fact that Lucia'd know better to talk to Elincia about too many things - she know that her friend has her own queenly burdens to carry. Am I reading this part wrong as well? Or do you think that is an appropriate reading?

Edited by Caradryan

Well, the fact that he intends to write a fanfic does give some reason for it to be in creative. Though this could just as easily be placed the Fire Emblem sections.

In that case, would a mod kindly move this into the proper section then?

I posted it here hoping for some input, and I figured this section'd probably be where the writers hang out. I've ran into some issues generating plausible characterization, as canon really don't give us much information about any of the Crimean characters apart from Elincia.

Edited by Caradryan