Star Ocean the last hope

Kiba

Not got an Xbox360 or anything so my only comment is I watched a few cutscenes and found it embarrassingly cheesy :(

To throw productive comment in here. This came out in Europe a few weeks ago.

Also, Gamestation online have a special offer for today only (the 14th). £22 for the game. Remember that is online only, it won't be that price instores.

If you miss that offer but wanted to pay arround that for the game anyway, just wait a few months or something. Square-Enix games always fall in price over time.

Yes, I own and have played this game; it's decent I'd say, but eh, I kinda went through it really quickly, beat it all in nearly a week after buying it and that kind of disappointed me, whereas Star Ocean 3 seemed to take forever, this one for some odd reason seemed to go by really fast; though I suppose it balances. For me, it's predecessor seemed to have longer and more irksome random battles and fairly quick boss battles; SO4 here seemed to have pretty quick random battles (especially in the latter part of the game when you may have Arumat in your party) but the boss fights took a bit of time, more time and effort than pretty much all battles fought in the area beforehand. The battle system stayed pretty close to its roots in Star Ocean 2 simply moving to faster-paced and more dimensions in the graphics. The bonus board is what can really make or break the game for you. It's so easy to charge up a slew of bonuses at any point, backtracking or not, that there's a little less grinding compared to maybe SO3 and since allies outside battle still earn exp just by exploring and such, it's not very likely to end up underpowered at any point. Storyline...ehh, not too original sounding and is a bit hard to follow at times and Edge just doesn't seem so likable at his overreaction over virtually nothing and then just whining and blaming himself for a while. The characters are...well, a little bit deeper than SO3 characters in some ways but they too just seem like "bad" anime cliches. You have the well-balanced, sometimes reckless and stereotypical teen-hero Edge; the too beautiful, too smart, suffers from trauma and gets overly angry when she's jealous Reimi; the overly logical, suppresses emotions, modest and Edge's male groupie, Faize; the girl who's become trapped in her childhood but possesses immense skill, Lymle; the even-more logical, seems to fail at humor and tends-to-miss-the-point sentinel, Bacchus; the gluttonous and hyper cat-girl, Meracle; the vengeful widow, Myuria; the naive angel-girl, Sarah and the battle-veteran ready to meet death, Arumat...yes, they really can be that static at times. Still, the game isn't too boring, at least not with the battles and for completionists, it does have a lot to offer as well as an Item Creation system which will prove a great assistance in some of the most challenging battles that are in the game.

A fun game to play but not too different from anything you've seen before, also aside from the graphics, musical score and combat system, it's fairly bland but can be likable if you don't mind a few cliche's. I give it a 2.75/5

I think its because from what I'VE seen rpgs made for the PlayStation usually tend to be harder than the ones for microsoft and nintendo