Magic problems!

Right, well, Soren is my Mage, and I'm up to chapter 7, so he only gets Wind Magic, right?

Yeah, doesn't sound like a problem, does it?

Here's the thing tho, I don't like Wind, I like Fire and Thunder (Espicially Thunder) much better!

So, I hear you say, why not just give him Thunder or Fire when you can?

WEAPON LEVELS!

He starts with D in Wind, E in the good Magic types, and the gap is only gonna widen as he is using the heck out of that Wind Tome! (Seriously, if I remember right, he's already worn it down to 20-30 uses).

Also, I'm desperate to get high level Magic for him, as he had Ds and Cs in my last playthrough.

PLUS, Wind seems fairly decent this time actually.

I've thought of all sorts of possibilities, just let him use Wind, switch to Thunder and deal with the Weapon level screwage, Arms Scrolls on something, I even considered dumping him for Ilyana because she is biased to the Magic Type I want and is damn sexy, but I realised that that would be the dumbest unit choice since I thought to myself in Chapter 8 "Oh Dear! Mia died! Oh well, she doesn't matter, let's carry on." <_< (Or even worse, when I thought the same about Zihark in his joining level >_<;;; )

I'm so confused! What should I do?!

Keep him using wind tomes. It's much MUCH easier because WEXP sucks in FE9. You CAN use Ilyana too, you know... >_> Always nice to have variety.

Keep him using wind tomes. It's much MUCH easier because WEXP sucks in FE9. You CAN use Ilyana too, you know... >_> Always nice to have variety.

Okay, sounds a plan.

I only need one Mage, but I'll think about Ilyana as well.

The reason I only use one is because I had troubles (linked to his class, such as crappy Mage defence) with Soren last playthrough, and I didn't want two shots of that, but Soren's pretty awesome this time, and if Ilyana's as good, then yay! :D

I'll have a think about it, and try her out in Chapter 8, see how that goes.

Okay, sounds a plan.

I only need one Mage, but I'll think about Ilyana as well.

The reason I only use one is because I had troubles (linked to his class, such as crappy Mage defence) with Soren last playthrough, and I didn't want two shots of that, but Soren's pretty awesome this time, and if Ilyana's as good, then yay! :D

I'll have a think about it, and try her out in Chapter 8, see how that goes.

You should use both Ilyana and Soren are the best mages.

Ilyana is the best IMO, she dodges way more than Soren. You also should make them use Staff, so they can heal themselves.

You should use both Ilyana and Soren are the best mages.

Ilyana is the best IMO, she dodges way more than Soren. You also should make them use Staff, so they can heal themselves.

Both?

Wow, two Mages, this will be..... interesting.

And I DO give them Staffs, but you can't heal yourself with a Staff.

Soren has an Ike support, I highly doubt he isn't dodging more than Ilyana is.

Also, Ilyana isn't really worth getting. Pallys, laguz, flyers are all better than her. Then there's Tormod, who has better endgame utility, Calill, who requires less resources than anyone else etcetera.

Bastian really isn't -that- bad, his main problem is that he's slow.

Callil's the best overall IMO, Tormod/Soren/Illyana just require so many resources to make it to her level.

Edited by -Cynthia-

I ditched Ilyana and just used Tormod, Ilyana comes in the "DAMN, WE NEED MORE EXP. CHAPTER" while Tormod does to but he is way weaker so he will level faster (enemies get stronger to). Using Calill... it's sounds so crazy it just might work! No thanks, knives + sages = loses half the point of promoting -_-.

I use Soren for Wind magic/healing, whilst I used Callil for my Fire/Thunder magic needs (though I did give her an Elwind just in case.)

Besides, I only need 2 healers anyway (Mist was my other one).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Soren should be using a Max Mt Min Wt Thunder tome. Wind has low mt, but Soren loses AS from regular Thunder/Fire tomes due to lol Str.

Edited by -Cynthia-

There's nothing wrong with Wind. The might and crit are lower than thunder, but it has a bonus damage effect that is far more useful. You'll run into a lot of Ravens, Hawks and Wyverns throughout the course of the game. Plus Wind tomes have good hit so you'll rarely ever (if ever!) miss. Soren also activates Adept a lot to make up for the lower tome power.

All in all, he can wipe out or cripple most units in one turn. For mages in PoR, you've basically got to stick to their element type. You don't gain weapon levels fast enough with tomes to justify using another one. So unless you want to keep forging yourself good stuff, just stick with what you're given.

There's nothing wrong with Wind. The might and crit are lower than thunder, but it has a bonus damage effect that is far more useful. You'll run into a lot of Ravens, Hawks and Wyverns throughout the course of the game. Plus Wind tomes have good hit so you'll rarely ever (if ever!) miss. Soren also activates Adept a lot to make up for the lower tome power.

All in all, he can wipe out or cripple most units in one turn. For mages in PoR, you've basically got to stick to their element type. You don't gain weapon levels fast enough with tomes to justify using another one. So unless you want to keep forging yourself good stuff, just stick with what you're given.

yep yep, the weapon level thing is ridiculous though of how much you have to use the weapon in this game.

Edited by Blacknight9

Yeah, I decided to go with Wind for that reason, has a Maxed (barring Wt) Wind Tome caled "Aero".

He also has a maxed-out (aside from Crit) Fire Tome called "Mega Flare" to deal with Beast Laguz and in case I ever need it.

But Callil is locked onto ohnoes Knives!!!

Mages don't really have a major performance IMO in this game. Yeah they're good but... yeah. I'd choose one or two of them and call it a day.

But Callil is locked onto ohnoes Knives!!!

Mages don't really have a major performance IMO in this game. Yeah they're good but... yeah. I'd choose one or two of them and call it a day.

he was only asking which tomb to use not who is the best mage discussion

It sort of turned into that.

Just stick with their best tomes. Except for Calil who should be attempted to raise Thunder tomes since she isn't bad with Rexbolt.

Edited by Colonel M

There's nothing wrong with Wind. The might and crit are lower than thunder, but it has a bonus damage effect that is far more useful. You'll run into a lot of Ravens, Hawks and Wyverns throughout the course of the game. Plus Wind tomes have good hit so you'll rarely ever (if ever!) miss.

I'd say that the low Mt of wind tomes holds them back in terms of bonus damage.

I'd say that the low Mt of wind tomes holds them back in terms of bonus damage.

You care about Might?! :o

I would've never guessed, considering how much you hate Axes, Dark Magic and my "Mt > Hit" philosophy, and how much you seem to <3 accuracy.