• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude

Invoking tropes is what Keima does all the time

Hmm,

depends on the definition of "tropes." One of the better classifications of "tropes" involves separating them into schemes and tropes. Generally, various kinds of wordplay involving spelling and such become "schemes." I realize this may not be very useful for those on tvtropes discussing anime, video games and the like, but when talking about rhetorical/literary structure, it's quite useful to have this sort of general description.

(And tvtropes does "invoke" literary stuff, so...)

Dude

Invoking tropes is what Keima does all the time

Well, yes, but he named one, that's what I am happy about.

I recognize that his whole classification of the capture targets is defining them by tropes, but yeah.

Hmm,

depends on the definition of "tropes."

Not it doesn't, because the context of the conversation already has a definition implied by the level of knowledge and care of the participants

In other words, "tropes as seen in tvtropes"

Not it doesn't, because the context of the conversation already has a definition implied by the level of knowledge and care of the participants

In other words, "tropes as seen in tvtropes"

Right,

But,

Tvtropes uses sources which define tropes differently, thereby making its definition of tropes assailable from those who have differrent definitions. Why is tvtropes's definition of how it sees tropes, quite problematic due to the way in which it is expressed, so unassailable that it cannot be challenged by a relative outsider and have such a challenge be left ignored? The only reason to ignore such a challenge, rather than destroying it, is because it cannot be destroyed, or because one does not particularly care about how a meaning is expressed (very important factor in any discussion).

TVtropes even defines deconstruction, though the last time I examined the argument I felt it quite lacking in any sort of faithfulness to the way in which it borrows from an academic concept (see derrida as the foremost example of a deconstructionist, IIRC) and broadens it. It would be very disappointing if a site with a description of deconstruction, and those who use it, are unable to deal with deconstruction themselves. It would even be pitiful. I do not believe tvtropers are that weak, I think they put a great deal of thought into editing the site, but I still think they are worth questioning from time to time. I think it is worth cutting into a conversation and saying, "but have you considered that you are crafting castles in the sky?" as someone who builds them myself.

TVtropes considers itself a fairly open place to converse on such subjects, so the idea that breaking into its argument is somehow against its spirit is laughable.

(NOTE, I do not constantly go on tvtropes and attack its definition of tropes, in fact I am not sure that I ever have edited anything on tvtropes, but I have some idea of the way in which articles are written etc because I do use it in order to find out aspects of games I'm not knowledgable about)

Why should I privelege tropes as seen by tvtropes over tropes as seen by other sources? Because of its popularity? Let's think about some other popular things, and ask if popularity is a good measure.....

Right,

But,

Tvtropes uses sources which define tropes differently, thereby making its definition of tropes assailable from those who have differrent definitions. Why is tvtropes's definition of how it sees tropes, quite problematic due to the way in which it is expressed, so unassailable that it cannot be challenged by a relative outsider and have such a challenge be left ignored? The only reason to ignore such a challenge, rather than destroying it, is because it cannot be destroyed, or because one does not particularly care about how a meaning is expressed (very important factor in any discussion).

TVtropes even defines deconstruction, though the last time I examined the argument I felt it quite lacking in any sort of faithfulness to the way in which it borrows from an academic concept (see derrida as the foremost example of a deconstructionist, IIRC) and broadens it. It would be very disappointing if a site with a description of deconstruction, and those who use it, are unable to deal with deconstruction themselves. It would even be pitiful. I do not believe tvtropers are that weak, I think they put a great deal of thought into editing the site, but I still think they are worth questioning from time to time. I think it is worth cutting into a conversation and saying, "but have you considered that you are crafting castles in the sky?" as someone who builds them myself.

TVtropes is more like an open blog, not a scientific work. I'm sure there are some of its users that actually care about solid definitions and whatnot, but... majority rule kicks in and they're ultimately defeated. If you dig around a bit, you'll even find some pages there snarking at people doing it wrong.

TVtropes considers itself a fairly open place to converse on such subjects, so the idea that breaking into its argument is somehow against its spirit is laughable.

Are you talking about in-article discussions, perchance?

Why should I privelege tropes as seen by tvtropes over tropes as seen by other sources? Because of its popularity? Let's think about some other popular things, and ask if popularity is a good measure.....

What's your context? A thesis? An essay? Or a chat with a clueless teenager? And what's the focus of the discussion?

In this particular case, for instance: Lux's post can be read as simply "look, this character said something I saw in TVTropes! XD." Why privilege tvtropes in this context? Because it's the subject. Asking WHAT IS A TROPE in such context is akin to hearing somebody say "I was robbed by two men!" and ask "WHAT IS A MAN" in response.

I once had a teacher who would talk about the need of a network of shared predefinitions in dialogue and stuff instead of teaching us what he actually had to

It was actually pretty cool, too bad most people didn't really agree and he eventually left our uni

So internet connexion stopped working yesterday for my whole town orz (who had the same ISP) but it is back now. \o/

Going to read gaiden manga now.

Were there torches and pitchforks?