FE4 THREAD

Fia

So you advocate Phoenix Wright failed because of that?

PW isn't targetting a wide audience though (and that's perfectly fine). It's successful within its niche but that's it.

How? Memes can't have this effect unless they're overused. Anyone who buys the game and understands + likes the meme will get a laugh out of seeing it in their video game while those don't get it will probably just be casuals who will pay no mind and just keep playing or drop the game due to other reasons. Anyone who drops a game just cause it has an internet meme is just silly, otherwise I would've stopped playing Star Fox 64 quite a while ago.

Memes are overused by definition which is also why they're unfunny. You're also forgetting people who understand them and don't like them.

If I were a casual, I wouldn't drop it after buying it, because I wouldn't even buy it in the first place (providing I had inquired into the game first before deciding whether to buy it or not).

Extreme example: Imagine if Wii Sports had memes in it and you can be sure the thing wouldn't have sold as much, because people in general don't want shitty content in their media. It's extreme but this works with any other title really, even if it's in a lesser extent, it would still affect sales.

Also, I've never played a Star Fox game and you're not helping in convincing me to try one. (Though if you're referencing the barrel roll, I don't really mind it, because this is where it originates from, right?)

Edited by Marthur

• Replies 674.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

PW isn't targetting a wide audience though (and that's perfectly fine). It's successful within its niche but that's it.

Memes are overused by definition which is also why they're unfunny. You're also forgetting people who understand them and don't like them.

If I were a casual, I wouldn't drop it after buying it, because I wouldn't even buy it in the first place (providing I had inquired into the game first before deciding whether to buy it or not).

Are you arguing with yourself Marthur

I don't think so.

>Ideally, the widest range of people as possible. And memes don't help sell your games.

>PW isn't targetting a wide audience though (and that's perfectly fine).

>If anything, they're more likely to alienate people from playing them.

>If I were a casual, I wouldn't drop it after buying it, because I wouldn't even buy it in the first place.

(I left a particular piece of info inside parentheses out on purpose. Don't make me call you out for talking about casuals researching translations.)

Edited by TheEnd

>Ideally, the widest range of people as possible. And memes don't help sell your games.

>PW isn't targetting a wide audience though (and that's perfectly fine).

Ideally.

But let's face it, most games can't take this liberty since the target is largely affected by the type of the game.

>If anything, they're more likely to alienate people from playing them.

>If I were a casual, I wouldn't drop it after buying it, because I wouldn't even buy it in the first place.

I did mean buy here, but using buying just after selling was kind of repetitive and therefore didn't sound right.

Sleep.

Edited by Marthur

Ys vs Sora is on hiatus too because it was really killing my finger

Fate/Extra doesn't, so I'm playing that

I wonder if they have like things where you can plug in a controller into your handheld console

Ideally.

But let's face it, most games can't take this liberty since the target is largely affected by the type of the game.

Silly.

I wonder if they have like things where you can plug in a controller into your handheld console

Apparently it's rather complicated as far as the PSP2000 goes

Extreme example: Imagine if Wii Sports had memes in it and you can be sure the thing wouldn't have sold as much, because people in general don't want shitty content in their media. It's extreme but this works with any other title really, even if it's in a lesser extent, it would still affect sales.

Also, I've never played a Star Fox game and you're not helping in convincing me to try one. (Though if you're referencing the barrel roll, I don't really mind it, because this is where it originates from, right?)

I think having something like, say, Fire Emblem having a replacement character named Leeroy Jenkins, that would be kinda pushing it. If you'd stop playing/considering a game just because of one or two references, that'd be kinda ridiculous. If there's a ton in there, sure, but if there's just little pokes (like I said), it seems really stupid to be like "WHATMEMES ugh this game sucks".

(And no, there are no memes in Star Fox besides, well, the originating of barrel rolling and the like.)

Edited by Sinistar

a replacement character named Leeroy Jenkins,

There was a replacement character when I was watching GO play Valkyria Chronicles (for anyone that's played the game) the names were random so it was Leeroy (something) Just funny to see that pop up and the fact the generic had a skill "Recklessness"

There was a replacement character when I was watching GO play Valkyria Chronicles (for anyone that's played the game) the names were random so it was Leeroy (something) Just funny to see that pop up and the fact the generic had a skill "Recklessness"

Heh.

There's a Private Jenkins in Duke Nukem Forever who's "pumped up for some action". He dies after about 30 seconds.

Cue "Dammit Leeroy" by the Duke himself.

I had no idea Magicka or Killing Floor referenced any other games before I bought them, and am now willing and ready to play the Aperture Science level in Killing Floor and use the silly completely out-of-place DLC vietnam assault rifles in Magicka, because they're funny and because the games don't lean on them so heavily that they're nothing without them. If the only draw to a game is controlling Leroy Jenkins, it's certainly not making itself very attractive to me, but if there are more casual references to net memes that could have been removed without changing the game much at all, I don't see how that's different from any cultural reference, like from movies or something.

Remember in Tales of Symphonia when that npc couple was standing on the bow of a ship Titanic-style? That kind of thing. (was silly, but wasn't a big deal)

Edited by Rehab

USE MEMES WISELY!

Exactly.

There's a Private Jenkins in Duke Nukem Forever who's "pumped up for some action". He dies after about 30 seconds.

Cue "Dammit Leeroy" by the Duke himself.

That's awesome.

I think Marthur supports the "winners don't do memes" party.

Silly Marthur.

You know what has to be the best job? Massage therapist. You get to learn about human anatomy, and when you touch people, they feel better. Are better, even.

You know what has to be the best job? Massage therapist. You get to learn about human anatomy, and when you touch people, they feel better. Are better, even.

This seems like a generic response to a question I missed.

It's a response to a question I don't think anybody asked, from the heart, man. Seriously, if I could feasibly do it as a side job and not have to spend a shitload of time on it that would cut in on school, I'd love to learn to do it part time or something.

Edited by Rehab

It's a response to a question I don't think anybody asked, from the heart, man. Seriously, if I could feasibly do it as a side job and not have to spend a shitload of time on it that would cut in on school, I'd love to learn to do it part time or something.

I dunno. From what I know, there are a whole lot of tight restrictions on it. One little slip up can get you hammered, since unless you're in a high-class institution or something, the prostitution scare is supposedly pretty high.

But, that could have changed since I last bothered to scan this stuff over.

But the knowledge! And the applications in the rest of life! /naive starry-eyed interpretation

I don't suppose you could share the stuff you saw about it with me, if you remember offhand?

But the knowledge! And the applications in the rest of life! /naive starry-eyed interpretation

I don't suppose you could share the stuff you saw about it with me, if you remember offhand?

Far too long ago for me to recall, my friend. All I can recall is that there will be a lot of people who will try to garner 'special services', and because of that, massage clinics without extremely heavy certification get harassed pretty harshly by government personnel. If you get caught in a weird situation, or a co-worker does, even if nothing happened, you'll get shut down pretty quick and be out of a job, if not in prison. Larger and better certified clinics can usually stay away from this, but those are difficult to get into.