FE4 THREAD

Fia

The Challenge:

Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire

The EGA original is text parser only, and probably harder to find. The fanmade VGA remake is available for free at http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/downloads/thegame/downloads_snd.html.

Normal Mode: Vanquish the Fire Elemental OR collect 100 puzzle points.

Hard Mode: Vanquish the Air Elemental OR collect 150 puzzle points.

I kind of wanted to make one of them Collect the Fruit of Compassion, but I think that's too far in, and I know "finding the proper use for the X-Ray glasses" is well outside the scope of acceptable challenges. ...but don't let me stop you from either of those tasks if you're interested.

The genre is point and click adventure (for the VGA remake, text-parser adventure for the EGA original) with interspersed arcade-style combat. Your Hero has a stat-sheet full of skills that increase the more often you use them. Sneaking all around town, even when you have no reason to, will help increase your sneak. Throwing rocks in the desert will increase Throwing (and also base stats like strength, agility, vitality). Balancing on a tightrope is Agility, practicing combat with the Guildmaster will increase all off Weapons, Dodge, Parry. Talking to people can increase Intelligence, Communications, Honor (increase or decrease, depending on what you say and do and when).

The plot progresses on its own, so there will be plenty of down time for you to train if you wish, or you could just go to your room at the in and repeatedly select "Sleep until morning" if you're just anxious to get things moving.

Feel free to take screencaptures of any dialogues or deaths or easter eggs you felt particularly amusing.

Upon either install or boot-up, you can select some options. I recommend the combined Point and Click + Parser, because the default dialogue trees won't necessarily cover everything, and you can get some humour results from things that are sensible to ask but not listed (try asking Aziza about "manners" for example to see what I mean.) This gives you the best of both worlds, because the original EGA text parser leads to all kinds of frustration when you don't give it exactly the right syntax, and I'm not sure if the full parser here is the same. The other option was simplified alleys, which is a total cop-out and I will not respect you if you use it. Navigating the alleys can seem kind of mazey, but if you follow the rules of the genre (ask every npc everything), you will be given explicit directions on which lefts or rights you need to take. Also, once you've bought the Map and visited a location at least once, you can auto-skip to it anyway, so any more alley roaming is purely easter egg hunting.

Also, obey the other rule of thumb, safe often and always. You have 50 slots, if you aren't forced to overwrite your files, you haven't been saving enough.

This challenge is easily completable for any of the 3 paths: Fighter, Magic User, or Thief. Pick whichever profession tickles your fancy. Also beware, combat can be rough if your stats aren't high enough. You might just need to hit Esc if you run into a combat you can't see yourself winning while traversing the desert.

Also, since this is a point and click style adventure, just like for the Clock Tower challenge, I request that you do not resort to guides. If you're feeling stumped, for the love of everything you hold dear, just ask me a question so I can feed you hints that aren't blatant or spoilery.

I feel like I've rambled far too much, but this was a series I loved from childhood. The crowning jewel was for me, QFGIV: Shadows of Darkness which had great theme, glorious voice acting, and really tied everything together well, but unlike Trial By Fire, that one requires context from the previous games (all of them, to be honest), while TBF is perfectly enjoyable standalone (All you need to know is you did some adventuring in Spielburg, were a hero, and were taken to Shapier by some grateful folk who had more problems they wanted you to solve. The particulars are less than important here, because no recurring character crop up, like they would in IV.)

Edits: Tweaked the point totals for Hard mode a bit, they are final now. I am done wishy-washying.

Edited by Balcerzak

• Replies 674.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought i needed a 3 on my last test to still have a chance

i got a 2

turns out i only needed a 2 because i got 0.7 on my first test and in my mind i had a 0 on it

fuck yeah bitches i'm back on the game

Try not to be too low ever, I've been there...