I'm playing FE1

luigi bros

I'm playing FE1 just to play the game that started it all. What are some of the differances between it and other FE games? Is there a 90~100% complete translation patch? I'm using a patch from the Grandbell.net Forums that translates just menues, items, and names.

Edited by luigi bros

FE1 is extremely unrefined compared to later games. Swords are overpowered, avoid is even more gimped than in FE3 and FEDS, half the cast can't promote...

I don't know of any patches other than the one you mentioned. A promising new patch emerged a couple years back, but there were problems with it. I don't know if it ever got off the ground. =\ It doesn't really matter anyway. You should be familiar with the story if you've played FE3 book 1 translated or FEDS.

Edited by Charlie

FE1 is extremely unrefined compared to later games. Swords are overpowered, avoid is even more gimped than in FE3 and FEDS, half the cast can't promote...

I don't know of any patches other than the one you mentioned. A promising new patch emerged a couple years back, but there were problems with it. I don't know if it ever got off the ground. =\ It doesn't really matter anyway. You should be familiar with the story if you've played FE3 book 1 translated or FEDS.

What's the avoid equation? How are swords overpowered?

I know the story so this should be good enough.

Half of them can't promote? How do Knights not promote to Generals when they are both in the same game. The same with Hunter and Horseman.

Also, should I wait till level 20 to promote? And who's good and who isn't?

Edited by luigi bros

What's the avoid equation? How are swords overpowered?

Physical avoid is attack speed + terrain bonus. Magical avoid is just luck on its own. Swords are overpowered because they have low weight (in a game with no weigh reduction system) and comparable stats to lances.

Half of them can't promote? How do Knights not promote to Generals when they are both in the same game. The same with Hunter and Horseman.

Half might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but yes there are many that can't promote. The second question is pretty obvious: Intelligent Systems probably didn't consider giving armors and hunters a promotion until FE3. Also note that Fighters and Pirates can't promote either.

Also, should I wait till level 20 to promote? And who's good and who isn't?

I wouldn't bother waiting until level 20. Good and bad characters are more or less the same as in FE3-1 and FEDS. Cain, Abel, Ogma, Navarre, Hardin, Merric to name a few. Keep in mind that Wolf and Zagaro are not good characters in this game.

Edited by Charlie

Half might have been a bit of an exaggeration, but yes there are many that can't promote. The second question is pretty obvious: Intelligent Systems probably didn't consider giving armors and hunters a promotion until FE3. Also note that Fighters and Pirates can't promote either.

It's got to be annoying. I'll deal with it.

I know that because I've played FE3.

Who's good to use in this game and should I wait till level 20 to promote.

It's got to be annoying. I'll deal with it.

I know that because I've played FE3.

Who's good to use in this game and should I wait till level 20 to promote.

Check my last post. I edited a second ago.

I wouldn't bother waiting until level 20. Good and bad characters are more or less the same as in FE3-1 and FEDS. Cain, Abel, Ogma, Navarre, Hardin, Merric to name a few. Keep in mind that Wolf and Zagaro are not good characters in this game.
Check my last post. I edited a second ago.

I see now.

I'll use Cain, Oguma, Navarre, and Merach. I hear Hardin is good but I can't get myself to use him after

playing FE3.

How do Cain and Abel compair? Should I use one or both? Which one? On the Visual Walkthrough for FE3 what it says Cain beats Abel in is my preferance.

I don't know what happened to Wolf and Zaggaro. I know they're terrible prepromotes in this game.

Cain and Abel are both around from the start, and they're a pretty evenly matched pair. Why not use both of them, small statistical differences be damned?

What about Hardin? How does he compare to Cain and Abel? Is Abel really that good? Based on the visual walkthrough of FE3 he doesn't sound that great.

Hardin is basically Cain with higher bases, later join time, and lower HP growth. He's a great character.

I'm not familiar with the visual walkthrough you're talking about, but Cain and Abel are more or less identical just as they have always been. Just compare their bases and growth rates for yourself. I don't know where you're getting the idea that Abel "isn't that great".

Hardin is basically Cain with higher bases, later join time, and lower HP growth. He's a great character.

I'm not familiar with the visual walkthrough you're talking about, but Cain and Abel are more or less identical just as they have always been. Just compare their bases and growth rates for yourself. I don't know where you're getting the idea that Abel "isn't that great".

I'll try him.

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe3/walk.htm

He never insults Abel or makes him sound bad but I just prefer the stats Cain beats Abel in compared to the other way around. How quickly do Knight Crests appear? Because using three Knight Crest users will definately cause problems. What order do you think I should promote them in?

Jeez, man. Just do the research yourself. You have the site. You can calculate the averages yourself. You can search for the item locations. You can use GFAQs...there's a lot of possibilities.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

There's Maestro's patch which translates most menu options, item names, character names, and the basics some may believe necessary to play the game in, but some names are constricted due to length restrictions, and as such, aren't reflective of the actual name (see: the Thracia translation).

There's Maestro's patch which translates most menu options, item names, character names, and the basics some may believe necessary to play the game in, but some names are constricted due to length restrictions, and as such, aren't reflective of the actual name (see: the Thracia translation).

I'm pretty sure that's the patch that Luigi said he was using in the first post.

Other things to note about this game that the site otherwise does not tell you.

-Luck does not negate chances of being crit. Meaning enemies can go kritzkrieg on you at any time.

-Storage is 32 open spaces.

-You cannot trade items, only give them. With this and hte last bit in mind, have fun with inventory management.

-I also recall if you have an item come in and your unit as a full inventory, the item you decide to empty out your inventory you drop rather than send to storage, meaning it's gone forever. Remember to have your thief do something with his payload after every raid.

- Did I mention you can't sell breaking weapons? If a weapon is gonna break, you might as well drop it. In fact, you can't drop weapons in general.

-Promotion works in that it boosts the stats of a unit to the bases of the promoted class. If you are already beyond the base, you gain nothing. All you gain from going to level 20 before promotion is more HP and luck (the latter of which is utterly useless).

-Good news I can give is that mamkute stones are indestructable.

Edited by Pretty Boi Wolf

-Promotion works in that it boosts the stats of a unit to the bases of the promoted class. If you are already beyond the base, you gain nothing. All you gain from going to level 20 before promotion is more HP and luck (the latter of which is utterly useless).

-Good news I can give is that mamkute stones are indestructable.

Wouldn't Luck be useful since it's magical avoid? Since Resistance is non-existant in this game unless you use a Talisman.

So then Chiki must be good.

Do Dragon Stones work like in FE3 or 11?

Wouldn't Luck be useful since it's magical avoid? Since Resistance is non-existant in this game unless you use a Talisman.

Not really, seeing as how all stats including luck cap at 20. =\

So then max magic avoid is only 20? Terrain is useless against magic right?

Also Rena doesn't get any EXP for healing. I read that in Vincent's introduction so should I have them get hit by the enemy until they get to level 10 or should I just not promote them?

So then max magic avoid is only 20? Terrain is useless against magic right?

Also Rena doesn't get any EXP for healing. I read that in Vincent's introduction so should I have them get hit by the enemy until they get to level 10 or should I just not promote them?

http://serenesforest.net/fe1/calculation.html

CTRL + F "Magical Avoid"

They can stick to just healing. Rena just needs 1 growth in weapon level to use Reserve and Barrier.

Edited by Sirius

Sorry for the double-post.

Is Banutu worth using? Plus 12 Defense on an infinate use weapon sounds good. I know his growths are bad but I wanted to get some opinion on it.

Use him if you need to.

I don't "need" to use him but I've found him helpful. He's pretty good now but that may begin to dissappear.

Then use him for tanking while you find him useful and ditch him later. It's not like you absolutely must have every spot in every chapter taken by some1 who needs training and if him taking EXP from others is an issue, the don't kill enemies with him unless it's a desperate situation.

Then use him for tanking while you find him useful and ditch him later. It's not like you absolutely must have every spot in every chapter taken by some1 who needs training and if him taking EXP from others is an issue, the don't kill enemies with him unless it's a desperate situation.

He'll work as a tank for a while. He's better than my current tank, Roger.