Corrective Eyeware

Lux Aeterna

Ok, so a few years ago, I got glasses. I never wore them, because I looked like the blond version of Harry Potter (without the scar) with them. Three days ago, I got contacts. Now here are some things I've noticed.

1. Whenever I put one on, I feel this intense burning pain for about half a minute that causes me to shut my eye tight, put my hand over it, double over in pain, cringe and go "aaaagggh...!" over and over again until the burning sensation mellows. My eye is red afterwards. What am I doing wrong here?

2. How is one able to not lose these? I already dropped one in the sink. <_< But luckily I have a spare, but I might not be able to keep them 'till next week (when my check up is. You know, one week, then three weeks, then three months, then the annual checkup?) How is one able to not lose these?

3. I noticed that, since I haven't worn contacts for a day, my vision has changed. I've been able to see things I normally couldn't, such as the clock which is about 20 feet away that I can now read. Annoyingly, this made me less near-sighted. Is that even supposed to happen?

4. My eyes are dry. Why? Not much more I have to add on this.

Oh, and let's not forget the absolute joy of putting them in for a grand total of 10 minutes each.

Thank you for listening to my whining story. Please answer my questions for each, and if you don't mind, give your experience of wearing protective eyeware, and how you dealt with it. Thanks. : D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Whenever I put one on, I feel this intense burning pain for about half a minute that causes me to shut my eye tight, put my hand over it, double over in pain, cringe and go "aaaagggh...!" over and over again until the burning sensation mellows. My eye is red afterwards. What am I doing wrong here?

You're shoving a foreign object into your eye. Your eye isn't used to it, but it should get used to it eventually.

2. How is one able to not lose these? I already dropped one in the sink. <_< But luckily I have a spare, but I might not be able to keep them 'till next week (when my check up is. You know, one week, then three weeks, then three months, then the annual checkup?) How is one able to not lose these?

Put a towel over the sink. If you drop it somewhere and can't see it, use a flashlight to find it.

Blink more. See if that helps. If not, you may have your contacts in incorrectly.

I'm assuming you have soft contacts?

As for my story, I can't see anything without corrective eyeware. I can barely see that there's text on the moniter about 18 inches away from my face.

Edited by Miror B.

You're shoving a foreign object into your eye. Your eye isn't used to it, but it should get used to it eventually.

Put a towel over the sink. If you drop it somewhere and can't see it, use a flashlight to find it.

Blink more. See if that helps. If not, you may have your contacts in incorrectly.

I'm assuming you have soft contacts?

I also suspected it might be a speck or something, but that makes sense.

:facepalm: why didn't I think of that?

People do remark that I rarely blink. It's kind of scary. :blink:

Soft contacts... If that means they have the possibility of going inside out, then yeah. Well, they don't feel like glass. It looks sort of like a half bubble.

Is all this hassle really worth 20/40 feet (left is stronger than right) better in vision? I mean, the contacts have already caused my eyes to change...

Never had to use contact or glasses.

But, if I had to, I would opt for the first option, never was fond of using glasses

Edited by Smooth Criminal

Don't worry Jay. I've had contacts for over 2 years now. You'll get used to it. :P

-Your contact is scrunched up at the edges, or there's a piece of an eyelash/fuzz whatever in it. Take the contact out. Make a little cup with your hand an pour some contact solution into it. Dab the contact around (right round, like a record baby) in the solution and put it back it. Eyedrops help here too.

-Spare? Keep a few packages. I lost a bunch, but luckily my mom mass-ordered 5 packs when I got them. See if your parents can do the same.

3. I noticed that, since I haven't worn contacts for a day, my vision has changed. I've been able to see things I normally couldn't, such as the clock which is about 20 feet away that I can now read. Annoyingly, this made me less near-sighted. Is that even supposed to happen?

-Since I got contacts, by eyes dropped by a power in 2 years. I used to drop a power a year. I dunno. Somthing happened.

-You're leaving your contacts in for too long. If you're just wearing it for school and sports, just put 'em on after you brush your teeth and take them off when you come home. Unless you're like me, who wears them for 12 hours.. XD Then, its a good idea to carry around eyedrops in ur pocket.

Oh, and let's not forget the absolute joy of putting them in for a grand total of 10 minutes each.

-Just practice for a bit. I got the hang of it in a few days.

That'll be $40.

If your family is pretty well off, laser eye surgery might be an option. IIRC, its about $2,000 per eye.

Oh yeah, don't wear them for so long when you start. 8 hours was how long I wore them a day when I first started to wear them. I think.

Edited by Miror B.

Do you know if you have an astigmatism? An astigmatism is a common defect in the eye with nearsighted people. I have a pretty sever astigmatism, and because of that there is a small weight in my contacts that looks almost like a millimeter length hair touching the rim. If I don't put the contacts in with the weight facing down, the contact will burn a little worse than it should because the weight slowly pulls itself down.

Don't worry Jay. I've had contacts for over 2 years now. You'll get used to it. :P

-Your contact is scrunched up at the edges, or there's a piece of an eyelash/fuzz whatever in it. Take the contact out. Make a little cup with your hand an pour some contact solution into it. Dab the contact around (right round, like a record baby) in the solution and put it back it. Eyedrops help here too.

-Spare? Keep a few packages. I lost a bunch, but luckily my mom mass-ordered 5 packs when I got them. See if your parents can do the same.

-Since I got contacts, by eyes dropped by a power in 2 years. I used to drop a power a year. I dunno. Somthing happened.

-You're leaving your contacts in for too long. If you're just wearing it for school and sports, just put 'em on after you brush your teeth and take them off when you come home. Unless you're like me, who wears them for 12 hours.. XD Then, its a good idea to carry around eyedrops in ur pocket.

-Just practice for a bit. I got the hang of it in a few days.

That'll be $40.

I suppose this means you prefer to call me by my actual name rather than Lux? *Shrugs* Whatever works for you. XD

It's annoying, because I think it might be the contact solution that's the problem. Then again, I dump it out before I put the contact in, so I may as well give it a chance tomorrow?

I just got a complimentary spare. If I lose the spares, than I'll request that my parents by back-ups for the back-ups for the back-ups of... You get the point. XD

Ahhhh! What is wrong with me?! :wacko: Although, I suppose my farsight getting better is nothing to complain about. But I didn't realize how much I'd miss my nearsighted-ness. :sob:

I leave them in for eight hours. That's not too long... But I'll think about eye drops. Don't those hurt, though? :mellow:

True. Practice makes perfect.

How about a smile and a thank you, instead? :3

If your family is pretty well off, laser eye surgery might be an option. IIRC, its about $2,000 per eye.

They say they will under two conditions: 1: my eyes stabilize at a certain point, so they don't make it perfect just so it will get worse again. 2: My eyesight is a certain bad point. Don't know what point that is, though. But they said also, only condition one has to be filled if I truly can't stand contacts after I've given them a good, long chance. There's also the possibility that if I'm well enough off when I'm on my own, I'll get it for myself. My eyes should stop declining, by then.

Do you know if you have an astigmatism? An astigmatism is a common defect in the eye with nearsighted people. I have a pretty sever astigmatism, and because of that there is a small weight in my contacts that looks almost like a millimeter length hair touching the rim. If I don't put the contacts in with the weight facing down, the contact will burn a little worse than it should because the weight slowly pulls itself down.

The eye-doctor never mentioned one. And my appointment was two days ago.

Edited by Lux Aeterna

But I'll think about eye drops. Don't those hurt, though? :mellow:

These aren't the eyedrops at the optometrist where its like orange and makes you go AH FRICK! when it dilates your pupil. XD

It's just a simple solution to re-wet your contacts when they get dry.

Oh, and when you get sleepy, take them off or rewet them ASAP, or else they get dry, and then they become a bitch to take off. >_<

These aren't the eyedrops at the optometrist where its like orange and makes you go AH FRICK! when it dilates your pupil. XD

It's just a simple solution to re-wet your contacts when they get dry.

Oh, and when you get sleepy, take them off or rewet them ASAP, or else they get dry, and then they become a bitch to take off. >_<

Sounds painless. :)

I do have a habit of dozing off, whether I like it or not, when I'm sleepy. But I try not to do it anyway, because I usually wake up sick when that happens. Or, recently. And I'm not the type to get sick so... [/going off-topic] Yeah, I'll make a note of that. : D

Sounds painless. :)

I do have a habit of dozing off, whether I like it or not, when I'm sleepy. But I try not to do it anyway, because I usually wake up sick when that happens. Or, recently. And I'm not the type to get sick so... [/going off-topic] Yeah, I'll make a note of that. : D

Yeah. It's a problem for me. Whenever I get into the car, I always somehow fall asleep. Then I wake up, and my contacts are so dry... D:

-yawn- 'nite Jay.

Yeah. It's a problem for me. Whenever I get into the car, I always somehow fall asleep. Then I wake up, and my contacts are so dry... D:

-yawn- 'nite Jay.

The only place I have trouble sleeping are airplanes and helicopters. But yeah, I should just make sure I don't get tired.

'Night. : O You really are going to stick to calling me that, aren't you? XD

The eye-doctor never mentioned one. And my appointment was two days ago.

I've been wearing contacts for nearly seven years, and I didn't know what an astigmatism was until a couple of years ago when my brother briefly worked for an optometrist for a summer.

Just wear glasses for God's sake.

I wish it were that simple, but on top of the reasons already stated, it caused my nose and ears to be sore, they easily fall off compared to contacts, making them liable to be stepped on and broken, it costs more money (not ballcrushingly so, but every penny counts :3), and I'm not entirely sure if lenses for glasses can be customized for a certain strength for each lense. The list may go on, but I think I've made my point. With all this hassle, I almost prefer I was blind.

I wish it were that simple, but on top of the reasons already stated, it caused my nose and ears to be sore, they easily fall off compared to contacts, making them liable to be stepped on and broken, it costs more money (not ballcrushingly so, but every penny counts :3), and I'm not entirely sure if lenses for glasses can be customized for a certain strength for each lense. The list may go on, but I think I've made my point. With all this hassle, I almost prefer I was blind.

I used to work at an optical store so I know a little bit about glasses; you can get multifocals which are like distance/near/mids all in one. Granted, you have to tilt your head to get the different strengths. Also, if your glasses are hurting your nose and ears, take it back to the place where you got it from. They should have more than happy to reposition the glasses for a more comfortable fit.

I used to work at an optical store so I know a little bit about glasses; you can get multifocals which are like distance/near/mids all in one. Granted, you have to tilt your head to get the different strengths. Also, if your glasses are hurting your nose and ears, take it back to the place where you got it from. They should have more than happy to reposition the glasses for a more comfortable fit.

I haven't given contacts a large enough chance. I plan to make my decision after a month of wearing them.

EDIT: Scratch that. I meant three months. That's my last non-annual checkup. I gave glasses a half year chance, so this is almost unfair to the contacts. : O

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Ok, so a few years ago, I got glasses. I never wore them, because I looked like the blond version of Harry Potter (without the scar) with them. Three days ago, I got contacts. Now here are some things I've noticed.

This is concerning. I suppose I'm not like the normal contact wearers because I actually prefer to have them in and feel it hydrates my eyes. But I've never heard something this severe. I know that some people use a type of solution to store their contacts which will cause extreme burning unless you wash it off with a special rinse solution after taking it out of the case. What kind of contact solution are you using?

I'm not entirely sure if lenses for glasses can be customized for a certain strength for each lens.

They can.

And your contacts probably are too. o_O

Like, my left eye is -3.50

and my right eye is -2.75

I've worn my glasses since 2nd or 3rd grade. I find myself trying to push them up when they aren't there.

I'm too used them, contacts I will probably never get.

lol me too i always push them when they aren't there. they fall a bit down every day.

anyways

i always thought contacts would be a drag so i'll never get them.

I'm pretty bad shape both of my eyes are like below the 3 i think.

I've worn glasses, at one point wore contacts, then wore glasses again.

One problem I had with contacts was the irritation of taking them in and out so for a time I actually kept them in. Almost for a month... maybe even longer than that. All I can say is I don't recommend it and only sleep with them if it is absolutely necessary (like if you don't have any solution, away from it, etc). It takes some time to get used to it (and I hated it when my contact went in backwards just because of the burning feeling) but I liked them since I didn't have to worry about breaking my glasses (I've had some bad scenarios with them) or clean them carefully.