any tips for a first time driver?

Thunder Mage Ilyana

I went through driver's ed last year. I was taught two second rule for city-driving, 4 second rule for the highway when going over 60. I don't really use the 4 second rule though. I just go with whatever's the safest following distance based on the circumstances. For instance, if they're swerving all around the road at 2 AM, I'm staying about 3 car lengths behind them, but if they're driving normal it'll only be a couple of yards.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not bad in the sense that if you're driving and have a death wish, a Maryland driver would be more than happy to oblige.
Well no one in my family's dead yet after 20 years so...

Well no one in my family's dead yet after 20 years so...

That's because all Maryland drivers have a pact with each other to only drive crazy around out of staters. Believe me, you may think you know more about this subject because you live in Maryland, but I think that since I've driven through there once, I'm the expert.

I've had no real problem with Maryland drivers. And I've driven up and down the entire Eastern seaboard, from Florida to Nova Scotia.

Northern Virginia/DC, on the other hand...

EDIT: Actually, I should say the entirety of Virginia once north of Richmond, and south of Roanoke.

Edited by Superbus

Guys. Texas. Giant ass pick-up trucks and SUVs who know neither turn signal nor how to not tailgate. Not to mention half of them are drunk or don't know where the hell they are going. I survive only by switching lanes about every 3 minutes to get around the slow fat-ass Suburban in front of me and to get away from the crazy tailgating beat-up F-150 behind me.

I've had no real problem with Maryland drivers. And I've driven up and down the entire Eastern seaboard, from Florida to Nova Scotia.

Northern Virginia/DC, on the other hand...

EDIT: Actually, I should say the entirety of Virginia once north of Richmond, and south of Roanoke.

Virginia can be bad in splotches. That's my home state, and I will allow any negative remarks towards it because I plan on moving far far away from here the moment I graduate from college.

I can almost definitively speak on drivers from every state along the eastern seaboard from Canada to Florida. Just because I'm a bit bored and thought this would be cool, my thoughts, from north to south:

New Brunswick (CA) - Polite and courteous to the point where it fucked me up. I didn't get cut off once in NB, everyone kept to the speed limit for the most part, and the few times I almost got into an accident, it was my fault because I was so fucked up by it. That, combined with a couple interesting laws and the fact that my car only had MPH (Canada uses kilometres), and you had a recipe for disaster as I had to keep doing the speed I was going in my head.

Maine - Driving around the big cities is awful. The people are rude and like to cut you off. Once you get past Bangor, you get the mountains, and it's so gorgeous that you almost run yourself off the road looking at the scenery.

New Hampshire - Driving in New Hampshire is almost as boring as the state itself. That's not really a bad thing on I-95 or I-91, but hey.

Vermont - I loved Vermont. Scenic, the people are nice for the most part, and I didn't have congestion problems.

Massachusetts - Depends on where you drive. Most of my driving was around the Springfield/Holyoke/Northampton area because my girlfriend for the past three and a half years went to Smith College. That's actually not TOO bad, and is comparable to driving in northern Connecticut. To hell with the area around Boston, it's awful. Too many one-way streets, too many assholes.

Connecticut - There's two halves to Connecticut; north and south. Northern CT isn't too bad, especially once you get into the northwest where it's a bit more scenic. From New Haven on down it gets more aggressive, as the drivers are exceptionally rude and tailgate like hell. Forget driving in the left lane south of exit 42 on I-95 unless you want to be drafted like a stock car driver. Southern CT is a lot like...

New York - Awful place to drive for different reasons. Around the Burroughs, the traffic is horrendous, and of course, there's a shitload of tolls, especially the GW Bridge (it's expensive to go into NY). The Bronx is brutal. But even when you get away from the cities, you have problems because the people in the southern part of the state suck, and the area up north by Albany/Schenectady is congested and confusing to get around.

New Jersey - I'm going to say something unique here, but I've never had a problem in Jersey. Most of my time I spent on the Turnpike, which is actually not a bad drive as long as there's no accidents and no delays. Granted, I've never tackled it at rush hour, but my experiences have been positive as traffic just moves. When I've gotten off the Turnpike, it's usually been to go to Aberdeen (there's a PIHA team and I sometimes ref there), which isn't too bad.

Pennsylvania - As long as you avoid Philly, Pennsylvania is tolerable. Philly's terrible, though. It's always congested, they put the major sports arenas right off I-95 (don't EVER go through Philly on a Sunday unless you're going to the Eagles games), and the people suck.

Delaware - Boring and expensive (toll bridge), but hey, tax free shopping, and there's a few nice places to eat.

Maryland - Maryland is a fun drive. There's a lot of nice little places to hop off if you want to relax or do some exploring, and this is going to sound strange, but they have the best rest stops on the east coast, usually equipped with a Starbucks open 24 hours. The only problems are around Baltimore. That area is FUCKED, the rest stop/bus stop in Baltimore hasn't seen upkeep since about 1997, and it's basically become one big ghetto. If I have to stop off in Baltimore, I usually get in and get right the fuck out, and I used to live in Portsmouth, VA.

Virginia/DC - The DC area is awful. There's always traffic, and no matter what route you take - 295, I-95's beltway, etc. - you're going to get locked up in traffic at any time of the day or night, since a lot of people commute in from both MD and VA into Arlington and DC. Things kinda even out once you hit Richmond - if you're going to Norfolk, 264 is a fun drive - but things become interesting once you hit Roanoke.

North Carolina - Confusing if you're not sticking to I-95 like a tit. The area around Raleigh and Durham is especially treacherous if you're not familiar with it.

South Carolina - SC is fun, especially if it's not summertime. Lot of good places to stop off and eat, and the people are nice.

Georgia - RAPETASTIC. Fuck Georgia. Gas was ridiculously expensive when I went in all parts of the state, the people are dicks, and don't even get me started on Atlanta.

Florida - The areas I drove in - basically, the panhandle - were OK. Lot of big, touristy vans that are hard to see around, but otherwise, it was better than Georgia, which is God's taint (I'm speaking anatomically).

New York - Awful place to drive for different reasons. Around the Burroughs, the traffic is horrendous, and of course, there's a shitload of tolls, especially the GW Bridge (it's expensive to go into NY). The Bronx is brutal. But even when you get away from the cities, you have problems because the people in the southern part of the state suck, and the area up north by Albany/Schenectady is congested and confusing to get around.

I can echo the southern NY part, I live in Rockland and people are pushy and very bad with those things called signals. The smaller local roads tend to be okay-ish, but anything main is not fun - to the point where I'm glad to spend a half hour on back roads over fifteen minutes on main roads. And I don't know about the Jersey drivers in New Jersey, but the ones we get around here are pretty damn insane. Rapid changes in speed, lack of signaling, and a tendency to treat the rules of the road as suggestions do not mix well.

You should come tour North Carolina. Fayetteville proudly hosts some of the worst ignorant drivers (and worst attitudes) the country has to offer.

Anywhere in town the hand positions are right hand 3 o'clock, left hand aims and fires through the window.

It's ridiculous.

always go at least 5 over the speed limit it is the law of the road unless your young(15-16) and you have your mom in the front seat, but still still speed or people will kill you

WHAT!

NonononononoNO. On most roads (we're not talking highways here) 5 under the limit is the minimum. Going AT the speed limit is a good idea.

what about nj

People have some attitude issues, but nobody's killed me yet.

I have epilepsy (Among other conditions) and by law can't drive (Unless I can stay seizure free for a year, yeah...). But I must point out the thing Bus said...

To hell with the area around Boston, it's awful. Too many one-way streets, too many assholes.

What he says is being generous. The streets are merely tared over cattle paths from the 17-1800s, hence the odd layout that makes little sense whatsoever.

And as for the drivers themselves. Let's just say, keep a blunt object with you when you drive through the area (My uncle once got in to a minor accident with someone in Boston, and it ended in the police breaking up a first fight).

That area is FUCKED, the rest stop/bus stop in Baltimore hasn't seen upkeep since about 1997, and it's basically become one big ghetto. If I have to stop off in Baltimore, I usually get in and get right the fuck out, and I used to live in Portsmouth, VA.
My parents avoid the city at all costs. The rest of the county sucks too, although not nearly as much as the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some advice for ya. Don't argue with your parents while you're driving. You... will... DIE. Just shut them up or put in some ear plugs and drive to something peaceful like Interstice of Time. I like that song.

Also, if WHOEVER you're driving with is distracting you, let'em know that this is a "car" a three to six ton death mobile with fragile controls built by the nearly bankrupt companies who can't even make a car where the friggin bumper doesn't fall off after ten years.

Oh and one more thing. Don't change gears from drive to reverse, or from reverse to drive until the car has stopped. You're strip your transmission or something like that.

If the arguing is so distracting that you're not able to pay attention, and considering putting in plugs (meaning you can't hear horns, sirens or anything else important), I would consider pulling over first.

If the arguing is so distracting that you're not able to pay attention, and considering putting in plugs (meaning you can't hear horns, sirens or anything else important), I would consider pulling over first.

I can hear car horns and sirens just fine. The music isn't to drown out the arguing, it's to override the distraction, with a melody. Helps me focus easier for some reason :unsure: