Laura vs Rhys

Laura vs Rhys  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Laura
    • Rhys

Overkill = Good unless someone else needs it to go from mid to good (Putting Celerity on either Janaff or Gatrie was brought up, Janaff is overkill whereas Gatrie needs it). IIRC, there's the 3-2 Recover staff, and the 2-E staff, and they're only buyable from 3-10 onwards. That extra HP might be crucial, like if Boyd is healed. The Def-Res gap is 5-6 points for SMs, Warriors, Halbs and Snipers. Rhys has 28 Atk with Ellight compared to Mist's 22 with Florete. Since Rhys smacks Res instead of Def, Rhys can do ~12 more damage. This can be crucial for a Oscar kill or a Gatrie kill.

This from the guy who had to bring up a situation which really shouldn't happen just to make a point? Pathetic. In this case, Rhys's extra healing is more or less superfluous, unless you're going to bring up a situation that really shouldn't be happening. There's also a Recover staff in 1-E which I could just ship to the Mercenaries; it's not like Laura or Micaiah needs it... And for what it's worth, Mist has better mobility. What good is being able to heal for more if you can't even reach whoever you intend to heal?!?

This from the guy who had to bring up a situation which really shouldn't happen just to make a point? Pathetic. In this case, Rhys's extra healing is more or less superfluous, unless you're going to bring up a situation that really shouldn't be happening. There's also a Recover staff in 1-E which I could just ship to the Mercenaries; it's not like Laura or Micaiah needs it... And for what it's worth, Mist has better mobility. What good is being able to heal for more if you can't even reach whoever you intend to heal?!?

Fuck

Boyd CAN get down to horrendously low HP easily. A few Gen/Warrior/Sage blasts and he's in range of the point where healing with Mist is dangerous whereas healing with Rhys gets him to full. Laura might also want it since she has suck mag and can't always get to full with a Mend staff, whereas MIcky can.

Also, Canto, or a situation where a unit moves 6 spaces so that they can use a ranged attack and not get countered.

Fuck

Boyd CAN get down to horrendously low HP easily. A few Gen/Warrior/Sage blasts and he's in range of the point where healing with Mist is dangerous whereas healing with Rhys gets him to full. Laura might also want it since she has suck mag and can't always get to full with a Mend staff, whereas MIcky can.

Also, Canto, or a situation where a unit moves 6 spaces so that they can use a ranged attack and not get countered.

I don't like Boyd, and even so, I'd heal before he gets close to dying. As for the comment about Laura having "suck" Mag...You REALLY have no idea what you're talking about don't you? And you admitted to the fact that she has a 70% Mag growth. I guess you ignore whatever hurts your argument, don't you? Besides, exactly who is there that she might need the Recover for? Volug? Wow, only one person. You disappoint me, Joshybear.

Actually, Volug being the most durable on the team means even he is unlikely to need a shot of Recover. A 15/1 Laura has 18.8 Mag, which heals 38.8 with a Mend staff. Volug has 49 HP and everyone else on the team has a lot less (Sothe, for example, caps his HP at 40). I think a Mend for Laura is fine.

On the other hand, Boyd is the one character in the GM's that even might need more than Mist's Mend, but you'd be hard-pressed to find that kind of situation, since you don't need completely full health to operate.

I prefer Rhys. Laura's coolio and all but I just like Rhys better. =3 idk but I think his magical strength is better than Laura's. He does better at being able to heal everybody's HP fully. My Rhys dodges better than Laura and he can definitely withstand attacks better than her. I also like Rhys's personality. I like Laura's personality too though, but I just prefer Rhys.

I don't like Boyd, and even so, I'd heal before he gets close to dying. As for the comment about Laura having "suck" Mag...You REALLY have no idea what you're talking about don't you? And you admitted to the fact that she has a 70% Mag growth. I guess you ignore whatever hurts your argument, don't you? Besides, exactly who is there that she might need the Recover for? Volug? Wow, only one person. You disappoint me, Joshybear.

Laura heal 18 HP with a Heal staff. lololol. If Nolan or Aran gets to very low HP, can Laura heal them to max? Not always. She also needs 10 Heals to get another level. Assuming she gets 1 level per chapter (1-6 counts as 2), she's Level 10, with 15 Mag. That's 35 HP, with a Mend staff. Sothe, Nolan and Aran all want to be at full whenver possible. It's likely that Laura won't get them there. Then there's 1-E's great enemy density and Longbow archers that can shoot her from ledges.

Come 3-6, Laura's Recover staff has tons of people to go around for; Volug, Jill, Zihark, Sothe, Aran and Nolan. Fuck, that's 6 people she's healing, and Micaiah's doing a much better job at it, having ~3 more range than Laura with Physic. Also, Rhys doesn't need a Restore staff to get people to full. If Heal doesn't cut it, Mend will.

Laura heal 18 HP with a Heal staff. lololol. If Nolan or Aran gets to very low HP, can Laura heal them to max? Not always. She also needs 10 Heals to get another level. Assuming she gets 1 level per chapter (1-6 counts as 2), she's Level 10, with 15 Mag. That's 35 HP, with a Mend staff. Sothe, Nolan and Aran all want to be at full whenver possible. It's likely that Laura won't get them there. Then there's 1-E's great enemy density and Longbow archers that can shoot her from ledges.

These guys are just happy to get a healing, since there are no other healers around. Also, you get a Mend staff at 1-4. If Heal won't cut it, Mend will.

Come 3-6, Laura's Recover staff has tons of people to go around for; Volug, Jill, Zihark, Sothe, Aran and Nolan. Fuck, that's 6 people she's healing, and Micaiah's doing a much better job at it, having ~3 more range than Laura with Physic. Also, Rhys doesn't need a Restore staff to get people to full. If Heal doesn't cut it, Mend will.

You told us Micaiah's better, yet pointed out that 6 people need healing. Sounds pretty important to have 2 healers to me.

Uh, Aran only has a 50% HP growth. By 20/1, he only has 32 HP, so I don't know how 35 HP healed won't fully heal him.

Laura. She's the only Light Magic user who can make any use of these Light tomes whatsoever, as she is also the only Light Magic user to grow any good speed at all. Also the only healer in Part I. She'll need Adapt Skill to be more helpful, and that she will need Arm Scrolls to be able to use higher class tomes due to her lower availibility. Rhys is phail because he gets doubled by everything. The only thing that he should be used for is healing. The only advantage that he has over Laura is availibility.

Laura is around when I need a healer. Even in Hard Mode, looking at Rhys there's only a few chapters where I need both of the healers in Greil Mercenaries. I always need Laura and she will always have something to do each turn. I question the kind of reckless behaviour people go through to make it difficult for Laura to do her job, or to need heavy healing with the Greil Mercenaries. Maybe my experiences just differ. At a basic standpoint Rhys is the better unit. However in the big picture I find Laura is much more useful. That's judging on environment and companions. I don't need or want Rhys using his light magic on anything, either.

• 2 weeks later...

PEMN.

Just becuase you've used Laura and not Rhys doesn't mean Laura > Rhys (I've never used Franz seriously but I've used Tana, does that make Tana > Franz? Hell no.)

...Who are you responding to? If it was to Lilmik11, s/he said nothing about not even using Rhys.