FE4 Jealousy System

VincentASM

Introduction

Some people might be aware that there is (apparently) a hidden jealousy system, which affects love growth in this game. It seems Japanese fans have known about its existance for a long time. However I only just realised that they've even mapped out how it works in great detail.

I'm not completely sure of all the details just yet, but this is what I've gathered:

The jealousy system comes into play whenever a second female waits adjacent to the female in a male-female pair.

Eg.

AXB

AX

-B

-B

AX

Where A is a male character, X is a female character and B is a female character with higher priority than X.

If the second female has a higher priority than the original female, the second female will snatch the adjacent lover's bonus from the original (the uniform +5 bonus).

Jealousy also stacks for multiple "second" females and even for multiple males. I'll just describe the two simplest formations that utilise stacking.

T-shape formation

BXC

-A

Where A is a male character, X is a female character, B is a female character with higher priority than X and C is a female character with higher priority than X and B.

In this case, C has the highest priority and will snatch the adjacent bonus from X. Since X no longer has a bonus, B will not be able to snatch anything. Putting B there is basically fairly useless.

Square formation

AX

YB

Where A is a male character, X and Y are female characters and B is a female character with higher priority than X and Y.

In this formation, B will get both X and Y's adjacent lover bonus (a total of +10). Therefore, this is a method of greatly speeding up love growth (since instead of the normal +5, you can get +10), which may be useful in ranked playthroughs or simply just to get pairs earlier.

Character priority lists

1st Generation (Reset the game at least once)

Midayle: Ethlin > All other girls

(This is completely useless because Ethlin is already paired with Cuan to begin with.)

Dew/Jamka: Adean > Ira > Ethlin > All other girls

Holyn/Beowolf/Levin: Lachesis > Diadora > Adean > Ira > Ethlin > All other girls

Claude: Tiltyu > Briggid > Fury > Sylvia > Lachesis > Diadora > Adean > Ira > Ethlin

Other males: All girls equal

1st Generation (Never reset the game)

Lex/Azel/Jamka/Holyn: Ira > Lachesis > Briggid > All other girls

Midayle: Ethlin > Adean > Fury > Ira > Lachesis > Briggid > All other girls

(Is there something I don't know about MidaylexEthlin?)

Fin/Dew/Beowolf/Levin: Adean > Fury > Ira > Lachesis > Briggid > All other girls

Claude: Tiltyu > Sylvia > Diadora > Ethlin > Adean > Fury > Ira > Lachesis > Briggid

(He sure changed his mind fast...)

Other males: All girls equal

2nd Generation

The lists are a bit limited here, but then again pairing is less important in the 2nd Generation.

One important consequence is that if the game isn't reset, CelicexYuria has higher priority than CelicexRana and CelicexLakche, hence the CelicexYuria pairing can be eventually achieved (although it appears the initial love points for CelicexYuria are set to 0 instead of 490). Otherwise, if you reset, all the girls have equal priority with Celice.

If you can understand Japanese or Chinese, these links on the Jealousy System might be interesting:

Pikaroom (has some nice pictures - a huge help even if you can't read anything)

Pegasus Knight

ChinaFE

Edited by VincentASM

Then that Yuria formation glitch really had to do with the jealousy system...

Nice find. I'm now wondering how this system works when married characters are in the formation.

Then that Yuria formation glitch really had to do with the jealousy system...

Yeah, I'm sure somebody here suspected as much. Was that you? o__o

Nice find. I'm now wondering how this system works when married characters are in the formation.

I assume they have no effect. However, it does make me wonder how they obtained this info in the first place - well, of course, from hacking (knowing how good they are with ASM hacking and even modifying battle formulae and everything).

What do you mean by "reset the game"? I'm assuming that you mean to play a completed file, but I want to make sure.

Some weird things happen if you don't reset the game. Celice's leadership stars don't update, love growths are different... you'd only notice because most people play on emulator with savestates now, and never "reset" or load from a save.

I didn't know that Celice only gets those 490 love points, with Yuria once you resetted the game once. I always thought if they both get ANY loverpoints they should fall in love after 11 rounds by using the formation with Rana and Lakche, so why should it take as long until you reach chapter 9?

Great, now things finally make sense, awesome find Vincent. Those priority lists seem pretty random though... guess this Jealousy System is another victim of the game beeing rushed. Well, perhabs it can be used it to have other silblings in the second generation fall in love with each other. BTW, can you also steal Lover Points that are earned in events?

And MidaylexEthlin for canon pairing. ^^

Edited by BrightBow-User

So some character pairings can't use this system well? For example, the list for Levin says that his highest priority females do not include Tiltyu, so there is no way to speed the growth of them up?

It looks like there isn't.

Although it might be useful for Fin's pairings with Tiltyu and Briggid, remembering that you can't reset the game while you're abusing it.

Well, perhabs it can be used it to have other silblings in the second generation fall in love with each other. BTW, can you also steal Lover Points that are earned in events?

I'm pretty sure it only works for the adjacent lover's bonus.

Not sure if it works for pairing siblings up. I assume it doesn't, but then again you can apparently pair siblings up, but only for recruitable enemies (eg. Faval, Tinny). That's using a different "glitch" though (and I'm not sure if it's feasible without cheats).

Anyway, I was thinking of compiling the 2nd Gen lists, but I realised there's way too many characters...

On the plus side, I managed to get SkasaherxLana without the two being adjacent (i.e instead they're sandwiching a lower priority female). So the Jealousy system does work (well, there's also the CelicexYuria example).

Edited by VincentASM

Not sure if it works for pairing siblings up. I assume it doesn't, but then again you can apparently pair siblings up, but only for recruitable enemies (eg. Faval, Tinny). That's using a different "glitch" though (and I'm not sure if it's feasible without cheats).

I got Arthur and Tinny to fall in love last time I played ~_^ But that wasn't an unmodified game :[

I'm more curious as to why lover and sibling bonuses seem almost random. I would expect them, like the Triangle Attack, to take effect as long as the conditions are met.

I'm more curious as to why lover and sibling bonuses seem almost random. I would expect them, like the Triangle Attack, to take effect as long as the conditions are met.

Do you mean the critical bonus?

It just adds 20 Critical as far as I know. I assume the flashy map effect just tells you that you managed to score at least one critical attack.

It just adds 20 Critical as far as I know. I assume the flashy map effect just tells you that you managed to score at least one critical attack.

I think it might be randomly activated. I had the following...

250t4l4.png

256ai5t.png

With Tinny adjacent to him and the bonus failed to kick in on both the player phase and enemy phase against C10 Julius (who lacks Nihil). According to the calculations on the site, he would 50% from the 100 kills Holsety, +32% from the SKL and Critical/Berserk skill making it 82% and the additional 20% from Tinny would mean 102% chance to critical.

Well if that's true then it makes sense, but I would've preferred it more like the Triangle effect :X

Well if that's true then it makes sense, but I would've preferred it more like the Triangle effect :X

It would have been way too broken though : P

Hmm, it seems the lover critical bonus doesn't work on the enemy phase, but you could probably figure that out. I tried a 30 Skill character with a 100 Kill weapon and they still haven't failed to get a Lover's critical. Perhaps the +Skill from items doesn't factor in the critical equation (if it doesn't, it makes me wonder how it works in FE5)?

No, they probably do. Just tested on more enemies and the sibling animation hasn't failed to appear in the player phase. Guess it's just that Julius or Lopto negates the sibling bonus. And yes, the animation happens so long as 1 hit lands... dunno if it can happen if all attacks miss (doubt it).

I could swear I might've seen the sibling or lover animation happen during the enemy phase...

Edited by Sirius