Nintendo DSi

General Spoon

I got one today. I got a kick out of the User Agreement. It must have said "Do not pirate" at least three times.

The cameras are crap. The photoediting stuff would have sorta made up for it, except that it doesn't recognize my dog's face as a face. And the operations manual (which could serve as a decent weapon) doesn't say anything about it needing to be a human face.

The Internet browser is zoomed out to far out too far on one screen, and too far in on the other. It doesn't have tabbed browsing. At least it has QWERTY+touchscreen.

Edited by Miror B.

Were you seriously expecting it to have compatibility with dog faces?

Seriously? Did you go into the store all "Finally, I'll have a gaming system that treats my dog's face like an equal to a human face!"

Were you seriously expecting it to have compatibility with dog faces?

Seriously? Did you go into the store all "Finally, I'll have a gaming system that treats my dog's face like an equal to a human face!"

When I first saw it, I went "YES! I CAN FINALLY BE BLACK!" O-o.

^ That's funny. My DSi is on much more than my DS Lite and DS combined in terms of average use per day.

I like it. I didn't buy it for any of the new gimmicks. I hardly use my camera at all but at least I've been able to use the feature to create a sort of wallpaper on the upperscreen. DSiWare, design (good bye lame hinges) and most importantly internal storage is where it's at. Having the Animal Crossing town theme play every hour is way cooler than any clock I've ever had.

Edited by Rhelm

• 2 weeks later...

^ That's funny. My DSi is on much more than my DS Lite and DS combined in terms of average use per day.

I like it. I didn't buy it for any of the new gimmicks. I hardly use my camera at all but at least I've been able to use the feature to create a sort of wallpaper on the upperscreen. DSiWare, design (good bye lame hinges) and most importantly internal storage is where it's at. Having the Animal Crossing town theme play every hour is way cooler than any clock I've ever had.

Wait, the DSi doesn't have hinges? I haven't gotten a close look at this so I wouldn't know...

How are the shoulder buttons? Are they pieces of shit like the DSlite's?

Wait, the DSi doesn't have hinges? I haven't gotten a close look at this so I wouldn't know...

All I know about the shoulder buttons is that I'm not letting Metroid Prime Hunters anywhere near my DSi.

• 2 weeks later...

Late response since I missed a bunch of topics after I went out of town.

The shoulder buttons are much more responsive, though I don't know about durability. I lent out the system to someone else so I can't inspect the design closer. I'd imagine some people will have a harder time with these more pronounced triggers, so don't take my word on it. I could see a potential problem with them jabbing into the soft spot of certain finger lengths.

Edited by Rhelm

I think I heard somewhere that future DS games will be DSi exclusive. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it were, I guess getting DSi wasn't a bad choice. The problem I have with it is that it still doesn't help any games support any wifi with just any security settings. Well I can say that with any DSes but still.

I think I heard somewhere that future DS games will be DSi exclusive. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it were, I guess getting DSi wasn't a bad choice.

You mean like DSi Ware? There's a lot of great stuff on it, and joining up before October adds 1000 free Nintendo Points to try it out.
The problem I have with it is that it still doesn't help any games support any wifi with just any security settings. Well I can say that with any DSes but still.
Nope. The DS and DS Lite only support WEP, but the DSi so far supports WEP and many forms of WPA. Good thing too since it's needed to update the system.

Nope. The DS and DS Lite only support WEP, but the DSi so far supports WEP and many forms of WPA. Good thing too since it's needed to update the system.

The problem is WPA won't work with any existing games. You'll have to DSi-enhanced Wi-Fi games to come out.

Apart from that, I'm slightly biased against the DSi (so have nothing good to say about it*), the fact it ramped up the cost of Nintendo Points by like 35% where I live and the hardware being so much expensive than the Lite is a joke (new Lite=£100, New DSi=£150) are part of it.

*-Well DsiWare is kind of interesting...if they didn't gimp the normal clock and make you pay 200 points for themed ones and the lastest is some random city maps (two batched of em') for 500 points each.

I think I heard somewhere that future DS games will be DSi exclusive. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it were, I guess getting DSi wasn't a bad choice.

You mean like DSi Ware? There's a lot of great stuff on it, and joining up before October adds 1000 free Nintendo Points to try it out.
The problem I have with it is that it still doesn't help any games support any wifi with just any security settings. Well I can say that with any DSes but still.

I actually meant that future handheld games will only be playable in DSi and not on DS regular or Lite. Could be a rumor that I hope is false.

And what I meant to say for the second point is that pre-DSi, even Pokemon Platinum, games still require WEP, so there goes all my plans for Pokemon and other games. And I obviously don't feel like downgrading my security system just so it can accomodate the games. Ah well, hopefully Heart Gold and Soul Silver should fix that issue.

Also I have a question (I don't care if it's a stupid one): They say that DSi now supports WPA. Does that also include the most recent one WPA2?

My flashcart is a DSi, sans shitty camera.

My flash cart uses a mini-SD card that happens to be usable storage for cell phones with cameras.

Win/win.

But yeah, exclusivity is pretty much the only reason to get a DSi, and unfortunately a huge reason at that.

My flashcart is a DSi, sans shitty camera.

My flash cart uses a mini-SD card that happens to be usable storage for cell phones with cameras.

Win/win.

But yeah, exclusivity is pretty much the only reason to get a DSi, and unfortunately a huge reason at that.

Exclusivity? Wait, you mean that future handheld games becoming DSi exclusive is true after all?

Also I have a question (I don't care if it's a stupid one): They say that DSi now supports WPA. Does that also include the most recent one WPA2?
Good question. I'd check if I could. If it already doesn't, it's nothing an update can't fix.

Yeah. Real shit-ware.

If they start DSi-exclusive games, it'll be a cheap way to stop piracy. Which won't help at all >.> While true the DSi is slightly more powerful, Nintendo's best move would be to move on to a new system, not a gimmicky system, to actually use potential. Not like fanboys would notice a difference though.

Any "good" DSi ware is being reserved for when NO$GBA gets that eventual, vital update to run the stuff.

Win/win.

MicroSD works just as well.