Out of first gear

Mikethfc

I had another go at making a sprite for my SE boss is probably too tacky but I can always have another go

SEsplice.jpg

Edited by mikethfc

Saving directly as a jpg format on sprite picture makes it loses its quality. :[

Im sure doing it on MS Paint did as well. Yeah I am quite nooby at this so any suggestoins as to what programme to do it on and where to save them would be appreciated

MS Paint is the standard program for most pixel artists and spriters. The program (often) has no impact on the quality of the image, but the file format does. The recommendations for file format are .PNG or .GIF. Since you saved yours in .JPG, you'll have to start it over (which shouldn't be too bad in this case). I personally use Corel Paint Shop Pro and Paint.NET for my spriting.

If you still want something other than MS Paint, then I'd look into Paint.NET.

Edited by The Blind Archer

As a side note, it's not always directly saving as a .JPG that will kill a sprite. Seeing as you used Photobucket to upload the image, I'd surmise that you probably saved the image as Paint's default option, a .BMP file. Photobucket automatically converts .BMP files into .JPG files when they're uploaded, ruining the quality of the image.

(And, don't take that as a sign that .BMP files are bad. If you're wanting to save something as a .GIF file, saving the image as a .BMP in Paint and then converting it to a .GIF using GiFFY (a free conversion tool that can also save transparent .GIF files as well) generally tends to work out for the best. (In my experience, I've found that some programs will ruin sprites by directly saving them as .GIF files, so going from .BMP to .GIF with GiFFY is a sure-fire way of keeping the quality correct.)

I, too, use Paint Shop Pro (though, the outdated v7.02) when I do my limited spriting activities. (XP's Paint is massive fail for only allowing 3 Undo's at a time. Though, I hear that Vista's Paint allows unlimited. But, I don't plan on using Vista anytime soon...)

Okay had another go saving them as .gifs

The SE prite

SEsplice-1.gif

and a couple of others

EchidnaLloyd.gif

Igrenerecolour.gif

Rathsprite.gif

Edit: Forgot to use giffy before saving if you notice naything that could be improved whilst Im redoing them all I'd be grateful if you let me know

Double edit: Does anyone know if giffy has changed its name as all the links I've tried say it is no longer there or we cant find it maybe its changed its name

Edited by mikethfc

I just did a search on Google for "giffy" and tried the second link. It seems to work for me. (However, that download site lists it as working only through Windows XP, though that may just be something that no one updated when Vista rolled around...)

It's definitely still called GiFFY, and even if it wasn't, an older version (that had been called GiFFY) would still suffice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did a search on Google for "giffy" and tried the second link. It seems to work for me. (However, that download site lists it as working only through Windows XP, though that may just be something that no one updated when Vista rolled around...)

It's definitely still called GiFFY, and even if it wasn't, an older version (that had been called GiFFY) would still suffice.

Damn vista is there any other ways around this or would saving it as a TIF or PNG work?

Use Paint.net. It can save an image as any format without messing up

it's quality. Don't save it as a JPG, though. It doesn't make it look

bad, but it tries to smoothen up the image, which will change a lot

of pixels in there and make it not FE.

Is there a free alternative to converting the images?

Use Paint.net. It can save an image as any format without messing up

it's quality. Don't save it as a JPG, though. It doesn't make it look

bad, but it tries to smoothen up the image, which will change a lot

of pixels in there and make it not FE.

Is there a free alternative to converting the images?

Paint.net is free, my friend. XD

o.O You really shouldn't save it as GIF either. =/ It's easier to fix after it destroys your image, but it will still fuck up your colours.

PNG + 24 Bitmap(Although they are much larger images)

Any other Bitmap will also result in a loss of quality.

Regardless, PNG is definitely the best choice everytime for just a straight sprite. =/

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

SE boss v.2

2dim3qs.jpg

And for Dancer_A's hack

2rdfbbl.jpg

Also does anybody know where to find talking/smiling/blinking frames for Fargus or Lloyd