Calling All Spriters!

Lux Aeterna

So, one day, I was searching around for tutorials to help me improve my spriting. I looked on sites such as TU and FEP, but all except one tutorial (A full-body one) were either not very good, or no longer available.

Me and my fellow rather greenhorn spriters could use some tips on how to do better. For example, I've been spriting for about... 2 1/2 months. We all improve over time, no doubt, but think about how much better everyone would be, if they had tutorials to show them the ropes, give them the intricacies, and all around make us newbies better spriters!

So that's why I'm asking you, the veteran spriters of Serenes Forest, to share your knowledge with the site! It would be beneficial for all of us: Newer spriters would become better, viewers would see generally better sprites, and the veterans could see all these spriters doing well, and think "I'm part of the reason why they got so good," as well as the satisfaction of doing a good thing.

So please don't hesitate to make a topic if you believe you have the experience required to teach the newbies the ropes, and to help us with all the ins and outs of the wonderful art medium of spriting. By the way, if you do make a tutorial, it's not required, but it would be appreciated if you included visuals of each step.

SIDE NOTE: I've also been tossing around the idea of people giving one on one tutor lessons, but I have to know that there are enough people willing. What do you think?

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Learn anatomy, proper human proportions, etc... Then build your style off of that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, humility and learning to accept criticism are biggies. A problem I had in the past and may still have.

Edited by Chainey

Learn anatomy, proper human proportions, etc... Then build your style off of that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, humility and learning to accept criticism are biggies. A problem I had in the past and may still have.

Since when do Fire Emblem sprites follow proper human proportions?

Since when do Fire Emblem sprites follow proper human proportions?

Better safe to prevent worse?

I mean, I figured I would throw out what any good sprite artist would suggest, even though I misunderstood the purpose of this thread.

Edited by Chainey

Is it possible to get the full resolution version of that tutorial? I noticed it's shrunk a bit and makes text hard to read and it's also hard to fully analyse the mug since I can't see all of it.

It should also be noted that that full-custom tutorial is mainly for more experience spriters. Honestly, if you're completely new to spriting I would recommend you stick with splices and learn how to make them look better.

Edited by Angelix

"Trim is a little like pillow shading, but small enough to not look bad."

It's called anti-aliasing. Learn to utilize it so that you can do stuff like this without pillow shading.

It should also be noted that that full-custom tutorial is mainly for more experience spriters. Honestly, if you're completely new to spriting I would recommend you stick with splices and learn how to make them look better.
I've probably seen just as many sprite slices that have all of the same problems as n00b custom made sprites. I would learn to start drawing custom sprites from the get-go in order to have more personalized portraits that don't look like yet another Eliwood or yet another character with some other guy's hair slapped on and armor that's changed shape.

Oh yeah. While I'm here, FE6/7 palettes suck bad. Too bright and saturated and gives an extremely unrealistic and unappealing glow to characters. Use FE8's palette at least, or preferably FE9/10 colors.

Edited by Chainey

Oh yeah. While I'm here, FE6/7 palettes suck bad. Too bright and saturated and gives an extremely unrealistic and unappealing glow to characters. Use FE8's palette at least, or preferably FE9/10 colors.

Do you know what saturated means? FE7's colors aren't highly saturated.

also, not true. FE7's mugs look more realistic to FE8's IMO. Also, you

don't use FE9/10 colors on a GBA FE mug. It doesn't make sense.

"Trim is a little like pillow shading, but small enough to not look bad."

It's called anti-aliasing. Learn to utilize it so that you can do stuff like this without pillow shading.

Who are you talking to?

Use an eyedropper on a character using FE7 colors. I guarantee you that the Saturation values are in the 200's, even for darker colors. Eliwood's skin color has a saturation of 255, that's max. These colors simply weren't meant to be viewed on a perfectly good computer monitor, they were meant to be viewed on a crappy GBA screen that has no backlight.

FE8's colors are still saturated, but it's no longerWTF255 and with a ridiculous brightness like FE7. They decided that the game was going to be played on GBA SPs, with actual backlight that tends to wash out some of the saturation, but the fact that they don't have to design the game around a garbage screen like the GBA makes the colors more pleasing than FE6/7's radioactive colors. I definitely recommend FE8 colors.

Then there's FE9's saturation levels. Seems to depend on the character really to convey paler skin than others, though the overall saturation is around just right.

Also, you

11iny94.jpg

Used Titania's skin color (because Eliwood has kinda palish skin, so Titania works well here) and hair color. Used Gatrie's blue armor. Only one shades not from FE9 directly are edited shades to get the right contrast I want. Replaced the outline with pure black, because that dark purple is supposed to represent black anyway on a dark screen.

Seems to work fine for me.

Who are you talking to?
That tutorial that was linked to. Edited by Chainey

• 3 weeks later...

The tutorial seems very usefull April. I've always heard that the better you draw, the easier it is to sprite. I knew I could draw, but I couldn't sprite for shit. Thanks! :D

• 1 month later...
Use an eyedropper on a character using FE7 colors. I guarantee you that the Saturation values are in the 200's, even for darker colors. Eliwood's skin color has a saturation of 255, that's max. These colors simply weren't meant to be viewed on a perfectly good computer monitor, they were meant to be viewed on a crappy GBA screen that has no backlight.

FE8's colors are still saturated, but it's no longerWTF255 and with a ridiculous brightness like FE7. They decided that the game was going to be played on GBA SPs, with actual backlight that tends to wash out some of the saturation, but the fact that they don't have to design the game around a garbage screen like the GBA makes the colors more pleasing than FE6/7's radioactive colors. I definitely recommend FE8 colors.

Then there's FE9's saturation levels. Seems to depend on the character really to convey paler skin than others, though the overall saturation is around just right.

Also, you

11iny94.jpg

Used Titania's skin color (because Eliwood has kinda palish skin, so Titania works well here) and hair color. Used Gatrie's blue armor. Only one shades not from FE9 directly are edited shades to get the right contrast I want. Replaced the outline with pure black, because that dark purple is supposed to represent black anyway on a dark screen.

Seems to work fine for me.

Who are you talking to?
That tutorial that was linked to.

thats really good can you do any more characters from that game? preferably Jaffar or legault.

Edited by oujay

• 1 month later...

So...Uhhhh basically to make mugs you have to have actual hand-drawing skills right?

Not necessarily. It helps I suppose, but more than anything, you have to have good skills with the mouse, an image editing program of your choice (I use Paint.NET), and just keep practicing.

So...Uhhhh basically to make mugs you have to have actual hand-drawing skills right?

Not necessarily. It helps I suppose, but more than anything, you have to have good skills with the mouse, an image editing program of your choice (I use Paint.NET), and just keep practicing.

Well, drawing with your mouse still does count as drawing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Necropost, but answering the question...

When it comes to (FULL CUSTOM) battle sprites, Bwdyeti is the best in this field... he is 2pro...

AND HE DOES IT ALL IN PAINT :o

Anyways... his tutorials are on FEPlanet:

Yeti's Various Tutorials, No more excuses for bad full customs!

Direct Links:

Tutorial 1

Tutorial 2

Bleh, recoloring tutorials after that?

Usenti or GIMP is much easier when you index the image...

If you want to see the eraser/cut and paste methods of recoloring go to the actual post :P

Here's some of his works (which you can't use without his permission)

Harken_Drifter-Sword-Crit.gifBennet_Soldier-Lance-Crit.gif

Arcthunder.gifIsadora_Apprentice-Sword.gif

And, his two kickass "Bleach FE" animations:

FE-ByakuyaVsIchigo.gifFE-Renji-Bankai.gif

I think you'll agree...

"2pro"

You, my friend, are the greatest thing since sliced bread
Edited by shadowofchaos