How many people here DON'T like Anime?

CrashGordon94

Bleach and Inuyasha are pretty much the only ones I have ever watched. I don't watch them anymore, but I used to be into them.

Yu-Yu-Hackisho (however it's spelled) never comes on, but that show used to be "the shit."

Bleach and Inuyasha are pretty much the only ones I have ever watched. I don't watch them anymore, but I used to be into them.

Yu-Yu-Hackisho (however it's spelled) never comes on, but that show used to be "the shit."

Close. YuYu Hakusho.

In any event, I am a large fan of anime. I participate in watching it as an almost daily affair, and I find it as another fun hobby to enjoy. Many of my friends have continued to watch various anime from our childhood up until presence, and it's a fine topic to discuss when we hang out.

For me, it's up there with videogames and reading.

Close. YuYu Hakusho.

In any event, I am a large fan of anime. I participate in watching it as an almost daily affair, and I find it as another fun hobby to enjoy. Many of my friends have continued to watch various anime from our childhood up until presence, and it's a fine topic to discuss when we hang out.

This too. It's something of a hobby.

Internet and DnD of course take up a massive amount of my time, so it's not one of my major hobbies...

Close. YuYu Hakusho.

Internet and DnD of course take up a massive amount of my time, so it's not one of my major hobbies...

Speaking of tabletop games, my pals and I generally play Vampire: The Requiem. The only problem is that there are one or two guys that have this problem with not fucking killing everything they meet. I swear to God, if I hear any more bitching about having to sleep during the day...

Edited by Esau of Isaac

To be honest, Naruto fillers are better than Bleach fillers. >_> At least they're thought out well.

Despite the fact that Bleach fillers generally have an ongoing plot and Naruto fillers are like 1-4 episode long arcs? Hell, I didn't even know Bleach's Bount arc was filler until I'd almost finished it, and even then the thought was weird.

Oh yeah, I like anime. Mostly. I've recently been drifting away, though.

I don't like anime, due to the fact that 90% of it features spiky-haired kids who (for some inexplicable reason) seem to have super powers of some sort.

Late response, but shonen isn't 90% of all anime.

Though in general that still holds true. There are too many repeated themes. ESPECIALLY school themes. If they have older more mature characters, it's something generic like COOL LEAD BAD ASS AND SUCKY SUCK 2D FEMALE SUPPORT CHARACTER

Close. YuYu Hakusho.

Speaking of tabletop games, my pals and I generally play Vampire: The Requiem. The only problem is that there are one or two guys that have this problem with not fucking killing everything they meet. I swear to God, if I hear any more bitching about having to sleep during the day...

Good old WoD. I don't play Vampire because I'm not a faggot I am waaaay too in love with the d20 system. :3 I spend a bunch of time on it though. 4e is awesome, although I still spend some time on 3.x and Star Wars Saga Edition.

Also, Chaotic Stupid is the most hilarious alignment ever. Doesn't The Requiem have a mechanic like Paradox and whatnot in Mage? I know in Mage that if you decide to hurl lightning bolts into crowds in the middle of the day the Storyteller is supposed to be like "You raped reality. It rapes you back." or shit like that, so I just automatically expected The Requiem to have something like that. I've only recently been getting into WoD though.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

There are too many repeated themes.

I think you'll find that is the case with just about all media.

If they have older more mature characters, it's something generic like COOL LEAD BAD ASS AND SUCKY SUCK 2D FEMALE SUPPORT CHARACTER

Again, that is no different from any other media.

Edited by Shuuda

Oh, I agree. Though I feel a lot of English reading has more variation with the latter, from my experience. More interesting, unique stories and believable characters.

Of course then there's a whole lot of bad fantasy/horror books these days. :/

Edit - To also add, foreign films have a lot of really cool and fun concepts that are simple but enjoyable.

Edited by Rhelm

Close. YuYu Hakusho.

Good old WoD. I don't play Vampire because I'm not a faggot I am waaaay too in love with the d20 system. :3 I spend a bunch of time on it though. 4e is awesome, although I still spend some time on 3.x and Star Wars Saga Edition.

We've yet to play D&D 4e, though I've a player's handbook, a DM's book, and a monster manual. I'm thinking about reading the rest of it, soon

Also, Chaotic Stupid is the most hilarious alignment ever.

It makes me rage to no fucking end. It's like they want to play WoW on paper, or something. It's impossible to try and explain limitations to them, because they refuse to do actually roleplay, and just try to stab everything constantly, only to complain when they get close to death, making everyone jump in to help them.

Doesn't The Requiem have a mechanic like Paradox and whatnot in Mage? I know in Mage that if you decide to hurl lightning bolts into crowds in the middle of the day the Storyteller is supposed to be like "You raped reality. It rapes you back." or shit like that, so I just automatically expected The Requiem to have something like that. I've only recently been getting into WoD though.

Well, that's not exactly how it happened in Mage. It's more being careful about casting magic around Sleeper eyes, and working on what would be probable or fair. I actually think I'm going to like the Paradox system when I put together a scenario involving mages, it might help to lessen the "I'M GOING TO DBZ EVERYTHING LOL" behavior.

Ah, but no, there is no mechanic that stops a Kindred from using his Disciplines in broad...nightlight. Breaking down a re-inforced steel door with Vigor and then slashing a guy to death with Claws of the Wild is quite possible without fear of any gameplay mechanics...but the Masquerade from oWoD is still around (though the Camarilla is not, and instead collapsed in this world hundreds of years ago), and is usually upheld pretty strictly, meaning vamps that have a habit of juggling dumpsters are more likely to end their night tied down on a nice east-facing wall.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

We've yet to play D&D 4e, though I've a player's handbook, a DM's book, and a monster manual. I'm thinking about reading the rest of it, soon

4e is pretty awesome. It's actually balanced (incredibly well), unlike 3.x and previous. The main complaint leveled at it is that a lot of the spells have been simplified (or, more accurately, no more Silent Image, Wish, etc), but that was pretty much necessary anyway. It's also a breeze to DM, and really easy to play, although on the other hand Teamwork and tactical play are pretty much a requirement unless your DM is giving you fairly easy encounters.

It makes me rage to no fucking end. It's like they want to play WoW on paper, or something. It's impossible to try and explain limitations to them, because they refuse to do actually roleplay, and just try to stab everything constantly, only to complain when they get close to death, making everyone jump in to help them.

Wouldn't it be easier to just LET them die so that they figure out that it's not just WoW on paper and that actions have consequences?

Well, that's not exactly how it happened in Mage. It's more being careful about casting magic around Sleeper eyes, and working on what would be probable or fair. I actually think I'm going to like the Paradox system when I put together a scenario involving mages, it might help to lessen the "I'M GOING TO DBZ EVERYTHING LOL" behavior.

Ah, but no, there is no mechanic that stops a Kindred from using his Disciplines in broad...nightlight. Breaking down a re-inforced steel door with Vigor and then slashing a guy to death with Claws of the Wild is quite possible without fear of any gameplay mechanics...but the Masquerade from oWoD is still around (though the Camarilla is not, and instead collapsed in this world hundreds of years ago), and is usually upheld pretty strictly, meaning vamps that have a habit of juggling dumpsters are more likely to end their night tied down on a nice east-facing wall.

I see. Sadface. But I'm sure whoever the Storyteller is can pretty easily throw something in. It sounds like it's fairly annoying.

4e is pretty awesome. It's actually balanced (incredibly well), unlike 3.x and previous. The main complaint leveled at it is that a lot of the spells have been simplified (or, more accurately, no more Silent Image, Wish, etc), but that was pretty much necessary anyway. It's also a breeze to DM, and really easy to play, although on the other hand Teamwork and tactical play are pretty much a requirement unless your DM is giving you fairly easy encounters.

4e would be a bit easier for a few of them, too. Dungeon-crawling and killing monsters seems like something they would want more >__>

Wouldn't it be easier to just LET them die so that they figure out that it's not just WoW on paper and that actions have consequences?

So then we have to listen to them bitch for the remainder of the chronicle?

Though I have thought of doing that :V

I see. Sadface. But I'm sure whoever the Storyteller is can pretty easily throw something in. It sounds like it's fairly annoying.

Well, one just has to exercise good judgment. For mages, it's about making sure that Sleepers aren't looking when he arcs electricity from a wall socket. Sadly for them, using magic can end with Paradox even if no sleeper is watching, usually by a mage increasing their Gnosis --their pure supernal strength--, meaning that even in a case when someone needs to put up a magical defense against an opponent, they can end up fucking up and causing a paradox; the good thing about all this is that there are mechanics to help mages avoid Paradox (other than the obvious). One is to take backlash from the Paradox in the form of bashing damage that cannot be healed through any means other than normal healing, at the cost of one Paradox die per damage. The other is to spend a mana point to ease magic through the Abyss; long story somewhat shorter to explain how this works, there are two big worlds, the Supernal Realm and the Fallen Realm. A long time ago shit went down and the Abyss formed. The Abyss is what causes Paradox, and generally stops people from using magic period. But a few years after it formed, when everyone was becoming incapable of using magic, watchtowers appeared in the Supernal realm. What mages basically have to do now is journey to one of those watchtowers (not physically) and inscribe their name on one of its walls; after this, they then basically pull magic from that watchtower, through the Abyss. Sometimes shit gets snagged in the Abyss, and that's what causes Paradox.

Kindred are lucky, in that they have storyline ways around it; they can explain themselves to the Prince, or even simply kill the witness; anything outside of total stupidity is usually something easy to fix.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

4e would be a bit easier for a few of them, too. Dungeon-crawling and killing monsters seems like something they would want more >__>

4e is pretty easy to get into, and I'm sure you could ease in roleplay slowly. :D It's a lot harder to just kill everything you find no matter what though, unless everything you find is equal to or lower than your level+4. :3

So then we have to listen to them bitch for the remainder of the chronicle?

Though I have thought of doing that :V

In my experience it's easier that way. Danger holds no meaning in a Roleplaying game if the player's don't seem to realize the consequences. After one or two occurrences they might calm down.

Well, one just has to exercise good judgment. For mages, it's about making sure that Sleepers aren't looking when he arcs electricity from a wall socket. Sadly for them, using magic can end with Paradox even if no sleeper is watching, usually by a mage increasing their Gnosis --their pure supernal strength--, meaning that even in a case when someone needs to put up a magical defense against an opponent, they can end up fucking up and causing a paradox; the good thing about all this is that there are mechanics to help mages avoid Paradox (other than the obvious). One is to take backlash from the Paradox in the form of bashing damage that cannot be healed through any means other than normal healing, at the cost of one Paradox die per damage. The other is to spend a mana point to ease magic through the Abyss; long story somewhat shorter to explain how this works, there are two big worlds, the Supernal Realm and the Fallen Realm. A long time ago shit went down and the Abyss formed. The Abyss is what causes Paradox, and generally stops people from using magic period. But a few years after it formed, when everyone was becoming incapable of using magic, watchtowers appeared in the Supernal realm. What mages basically have to do now is journey to one of those watchtowers (not physically) and inscribe their name on one of its walls; after this, they then basically pull magic from that watchtower, through the Abyss. Sometimes shit gets snagged in the Abyss, and that's what causes Paradox.

Kindred are lucky, in that they have storyline ways around it; they can explain themselves to the Prince, or even simply kill the witness; anything outside of total stupidity is usually something easy to fix.

I see...

although on the other hand Teamwork and tactical play are pretty much a requirement unless your DM is giving you fairly easy encounters.

I don't play D&D but isn't that a good thing?

It is. Some people are sad though because Spellcasters no longer obliterate every challenge they are ever faced with in one turn and then rape its carcass. The usual line is something like "I can no longer solve encounters creatively by collapsing the entire dungeon and killing everything inside while the Fighter stands by helplessly!"

although on the other hand Teamwork and tactical play are pretty much a requirement unless your DM is giving you fairly easy encounters.

Not if you played and/or loved most full casters in 3.x. It doesn't help that Wizards, Clerics, and Druids were broken right out of the box. Even what is considered the strongest melee class in the game, the Warblade from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, can't hold a stick to the weakest of the full casters. Magic is just that large of a boost in 3.x.

Not if you played and/or loved most full casters in 3.x. It doesn't help that Wizards, Clerics, and Druids were broken right out of the box. Even what is considered the strongest melee class in the game, the Warblade from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, can't hold a stick to the weakest of the full casters. Magic is just that large of a boost in 3.x.

Yeah, this. The problem (or for some people the attraction) with 3.x was that Spellcasters where inherently more powerful because of how their abilities where treated. It was essentially a system where on one hand you had a guy who hit things with a progressively shinier sword, and you had another guy who could bend the fabric of reality to his very will.

A Wizard had all sorts of spells he could cast to decimate everything in his path, or fight better than the fighter could (lolPolymorph). A Cleric had all sorts of spells to decimate anything in his path and could buff himself to fight better than a Fighter could. A druid could cast spells to decimate everything in his path and had a Class Feature that was better at fighting than a Fighter (lolWildShape), etc.

To be honest, Naruto fillers are better than Bleach fillers. >_> At least they're thought out well.

Despite the fact that Bleach fillers generally have an ongoing plot and Naruto fillers are like 1-4 episode long arcs? Hell, I didn't even know Bleach's Bount arc was filler until I'd almost finished it, and even then the thought was weird.

Oh yeah, I like anime. Mostly. I've recently been drifting away, though.

I'm not talking about filler arcs. I'm referring to filler episodes. But now that you mentioned it, besides the Bount arc, every other Bleach filler was shit (except the latest one is looking good so far). Hell, one could argue that the Bount arc was shit as well.

Naruto Shippuden fillers actually contain substance to the story, such as detailing the capture of Sanbii.

• 2 weeks later...