Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Zephrion

ponyoposter500.jpg

Ponyo is the tenth and newest film from filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki, known for such movies as My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and more recently, Howl's Moving Castle. The movie--which was released in Japan during July of last year--has won several awards such as Best Animation Film of the Year and the Outstanding Music award. The film's release in the United States and Canada is set for August 14th, 2009, with a Europe release set for a rather disappointing April 2010.

The plot concerns the tale of a young fish named Ponyo, who dreams of being a human girl a la The Little Mermaid. As a result, she ends up meeting and befriending a five-year-old named Sosuke. They presumably proceed to have happy fun times until something horrible and tragic happens as per standard movie fare.

Also featured in the English release (which can be seen in the promotion poster) is a more or less all-star cast starring Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cate Blanchett, Liam Neeson, and more.

I personally, as a fan of Miyazaki's other works, am really looking forward to the release of this movie.

This might be the first movie I see in theaters since the first Iron Man.

I'm a bit pessimistic about some of the voices though, I believe the main character is voiced by Miley Cyrus' little sister or something. I'm still looking forward to it though.

This might be the first movie I see in theaters since the first Iron Man.

I'm a bit pessimistic about some of the voices though, I believe the main character is voiced by Miley Cyrus' little sister or something. I'm still looking forward to it though.

Yeah, and the other main character is voiced by a younger Jonas brother. Just an unfortunate result of Disney's involvement I suppose. Either way, dubs of Miyazaki films are known to generally be pretty good, so I'm not worried too much. And who knows, they might be really good actors.

It was a pretty good movie, but more kiddish than other Miyazaki movies. They all carry more child-friendly portions, but it's more concentrated than in more popular previous titles such as Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle.

Nevertheless, though, it's a good movie. Very cute, and the overall story was Miyazaki enough to keep one interested for the entire film.