Attribute Point System

One of the very few things that I actually don't like about the Fire Emblem series is the random growths that can easily make or break many characters based on a factor the player has no control over (outside of RNG abuse). The random growths are made even more inconvenient now that Wifi has been introduced with Shadow Dragon, as, to be fit for competition, one must RNG abuse their units excessively.

Anyway, while thinking about how the series might be able to become even greater, I came up with this system of stat gains that gives the player much more freedom while still having the restrictions of something similar to growth rates.

I'm going to use Oguma as my example character in this, as he has well-rounded growths.

Anyway, upon each level up, a character could receive 10 attribute points that can be spent on any stat. Sounds simple, right. Well there's a bit more to it than that. 1 attribute point would not = 1 stat level up. Actually, stat ups would be based on a variable similar to growth rates.

Ogma's growths are 90% Hp, 40% Str, 0% Magic, 40% Skill, 30% Spd, 40% Lck, and 20% Def.

Now if a player were to make strength his first priority, he/she would spend attribute points on strength. The formula for this cost would be 10 - 1/10x, with x being the growth rate. This would cost Ogma 6 attribute points for a level up in strength, leaving him with 4 attribute points for that level up. Given Ogma's growths, this could only be spent on up to four level ups in HP or saved up until more attribute points have been accumulated.

A 20/20 Ogma would have 360 Attribute Points (Ogma can level up 36 times, as he starts at level 4), assuming he waited until level 20 to promote (and this is also assuming that the promotion bonuses are exactly the same as in current FEs, though the promotion could easily be made to just give attribute points as well).

An example of an Ogma under this system would be:

Ogma

Class- Hero

Level- 20

Hp- 22 (base) + 6 (promotion) + 32 (costs 32 attribute points) = 60 Capped

Str- 6 (base) + 2 (promotion) + 17 (costs 102 attribute points) = 25 Capped

Mag- 0 (base) + 1 (promotion)

Skl- 11 (base) + 2 (promotion)

Spd- 12 (base) + 2 (promotion) + 12 (costs 84 attribute points) = 26 Capped

Lck- 3 (base) + 0 (promotion)

Def- 6 (base) + 2 (promotion) + 17 (costs 136 attribute points) = 25 Capped

Res- 0 (base) + 3 (promotion)

This would allow Ogma to max the four most important stats in the game, but neglect other stats. 360 - (32+102+84+136) = 354 points. Obviously, this only leaves 6 points left, which the player might want to spend on a rank in luck or skill, equalling 360 points exactly.

On top of the direct stat up features, the system could also sport more options, such as Auto-Assign, which would randomly auto-assign the attribute points when enabled, making the system play out very similarly to what is already in Fire Emblem games, Random Assign, a one-time use random level up, and Unassign, which should be pretty self-explanatory. All of these features except for Unassign would be available during the chapter, Unassign only being available before missions and during Battle Preparations for balance purposes.

Other advantages of this system, other than reliability, would be the absolute versatility of it. One chapter, for example, the above Ogma could have high magic instead of high strength and be a Levin Sword user. The next chapter, he could be a tank with strength that is purposely made too low to kill things in order to help in the leveling of other characters.

This system would allow for a great level of customization and depth, eliminate the mandatoryness of random growths, while still allowing random growths to be an option. It does all this while still allowing character's to maintain their unique differences in stats by turning their growth rates into attribute costs. With the introduction of Wifi in Shadow Dragon, it would be great if future Fire Emblem wifi could be made truly competitive by eliminating the need for RNG abuse just for the sake of obtaining the "perfect units."

It takes out the fun and randomness. That's what interesting about FE.

I don't know if you've played Path of Radiance, but if you have, I take it you strongly dislike Fixed Mode?

Attribute points are never healthy for character customization because no stat is weighed the same, thus there will always be a perfect setup that allows you to get an excess in key stats and ignore stats that are not very useful.

Even in the event stats are weighed similarly, it would just turn into "even out character growths to eliminate their flaws".

Skimming over your post, it looks like this is supposed to improve competitive play, and while it's an attempt to eliminate the need to RNG abuse, I say it best in the Draug is Ridiculous topic concerning RNG abuse:

Iwata: Sakurai you genius you! You're such a professional! What you did to Brawl was ingenius! But wait! You mentioned max res, few units can get decent Res.

Sakurai: And we'll keep it that way! We'll decide not to give the Star Orb its bonus growths, not even as a Normal Mode specific bonus, so that way the only way to max all stats is to use an AR or to RNG abuse like a monkey! *shivers* The community will be SO DELIGHTED TO ARGUE OVER WHAT'S LEGIT!

Star Orb used to have +30 in all growths in FE3 (FE1 maybe as well). That alone would have eliminated the need to RNG abuse completely. The other option would be to allow stat boosters to be bought infinitely.

OR: If you want actual costumizability, make Fixed growths mode mandatory for WiFi and make the customization who you give stat boosters to and the slight variations that come from weapon use. It'll be similar to EVs in Pokemon in this sense.

Edited by Rody

You'd also need to revamp skill, resistance and luck. If you can hand-pick what you want why would want those when you can take strength, speed, defense and health? Maybe an additional cost for every point spent in a same attribute, ie. Ogma's first STR costs 6 points, next would be 7 etc? It'd still leave you the freedom of choice.

It takes out the fun and randomness. That's what interesting about FE.

I don't know if you've played Path of Radiance, but if you have, I take it you strongly dislike Fixed Mode?

I don't hav ePoR, but if I did, I prolly wouldn't play fixed. I would probably try it out once, though.

What I want is a random fixed mode.

In fixed mode, you basically get growth% of a stat with each level up. What I want is to get RN(0~2)*growth% of a stat. Or actually it would be better if the RN were 0.5~1.5. No wait! even better... In options at the start of the game, you get to pick how random you want it. with a slider that goes from 0 to 100. 0 = RN is 1~1. 50 = RN is 0.5~1.5. 100 = RN is 0.0~2.0. Or perhaps...your options range from 0 even to 150... (with 150, RN is -0.5~2.5, meaning that you can lose points on level up if you're truly unlucky)