Official Pokémon Heart Gold and Soul Silver Thread!

Roxas

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leafeon is NU and for good reason. It's bad.

But yeah it's really a shame there aren't many good grass types. They could boost cool grass types like Vileplume and whatever but no, they have to try to make steel types even more broken then they already are. Really once there are more good grass types, we'll have some better balance in pokemon

Actually, I think that they should stop making Semi-Legendary guys with a 4x weakness to Ice (Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp). Because of those, everyone and their mothers are packing Ice Beam/Punch, which murder Grass Types. Also Grass types tend to value HP Recovery and Weather neutrality (Synthesis and it's ilk), and Tyrannitar/Hippodown completely stomps on that with Sand Stream. Grass is a good type resistance-wise IMO, since they take 50% damage from Electric, Ground (Earthquake!) and Water. And their new Leaf Storm hits hard. Very.

I'm pretty goddamn stunned, since Ice/Grass is literally the worst typing you can have.

Off the top of my head, I think it only has one weakness - a quadruple fire weakness. Maybe bugs.

Leafeon is NU and for good reason. It's bad.

But yeah it's really a shame there aren't many good grass types. They could boost cool grass types like Vileplume and whatever but no, they have to try to make steel types even more broken then they already are. Really once there are more good grass types, we'll have some better balance in pokemon

Really, the answer to the problem is making grass super effective vs. steel. It makes sense, and suddenly you'd see more grass type moves and grass type pokemon in the mix. Steel pokemon are almost instant OUs due to resistances anyway, so they can take a hit.

Off the top of my head, I think it only has one weakness - a quadruple fire weakness. Maybe bugs.

Yes, but it's more than that. It has a 4x weakness to fire, but it also 2x from...

Fighting

Flying

Poison

Rock

Bug

Steel

It's godawful at taking attacks. They tried to make grass types tankish (venusaur, torterra, tangrowth) but they just have too many weaknesses for this to work.

Torterra is actually sorely underrated on the right team. Sub-seed after Tyranitar sets a sandstorm ruins most, worse if stealth rock is set up.

And Abomasnow is probably a product of the ability to change the weather at the end of the day. Thought grass and ice matched a bit better, but really, at the end of the day, it can slow down another teams plans. Of course, seeing as how Ice is a rather bad typing(why it's not at least resistant to certain types is beyond me, much like the rock weakness), perma-hail isn't much for support.

Edited by bunny: Now with Pancakes

Actually, I think that they should stop making Semi-Legendary guys with a 4x weakness to Ice (Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp). Because of those, everyone and their mothers are packing Ice Beam/Punch, which murder Grass Types. Also Grass types tend to value HP Recovery and Weather neutrality (Synthesis and it's ilk), and Tyrannitar/Hippodown completely stomps on that with Sand Stream. Grass is a good type resistance-wise IMO, since they take 50% damage from Electric, Ground (Earthquake!) and Water. And their new Leaf Storm hits hard. Very.

Agreed. We have enough legendaries as there is. It's time to make grass types shine again.

They never really shined...

In Gen I, the only grass types that weren't poison were Tangela and Parascect

In Gen II all we got were shitty ones (Celebi doesn't count)

Gen III gave us some cool looking grass types (hell yeah Ludicolo and Tropius), but only like two were any good

And now we're here in gen IV, where it's pretty much the same

Grass type needs its day in the spotlight.

Just make Sunny Day power up grass types. Sure makes a hell of a lot more sense than fire types. Make it something like +50% def and spd, it'd make them waaaaaaay more usable. And this way, you don't power up something that was ridiculously overpowered to begin with (TYRANITAR).

While it makes more sense than fire types, I can't see them going out and doing that without giving rain dance a boost(though electric would work) and maybe trying to improve hail and sandstorm a bit as well. But! I could see a gen 5 poke having kyogres and groudons abilities, and if that happens, I doubt they'd boost them.

Sandstorm gives rock types the same boost as my suggestion, as of gen IV. I can totally see them doing it more next gen.

Edited by Saloma

Sandstorm gives rock types the same boost as my suggestion, as of gen IV. I can totally see them doing it more next gen.

All the same, they won't likely take the effort to boost another move type unless it's affected by a new pokemon OR they really want to make a move to improve those moves, effort which would help if they gave the weather abilities to a new pokemon.

And I think that's a possibility, especially if the developers take everything into account and just connect Hoenn to the new region. I mean, on top of it being likely to be remade regardless, they have to realize that gen three remakes wouldn't pull the same type of money and that they should try to top the size of HGSS. If they choose to continue using Japanese locations as Pokemon regions, they don't have many options that won't make it a slight disappointment to not have the countries connected to at least one other region. They should just go to the island and remaining mainland left between the Johto based area and the Hoenn based area and make that a region and just allow travel to Hoenn.

The Hoenn connection gives some ability to mess with the weather trio and compensate them for use of their ability.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to revive this topic since 1) better than making a whole new topic 2) Someone pointed out that there is a sever lack in discussion about this game. Soooooo here we go

Bought HG and loving it. I just got to goldenrod city and the game is pretty well put together. My egg hatched too. !!! anyone know some easy ways to make it evolve sooner ?

I'm going to revive this topic since 1) better than making a whole new topic 2) Someone pointed out that there is a sever lack in discussion about this game. Soooooo here we go

Bought HG and loving it. I just got to goldenrod city and the game is pretty well put together. My egg hatched too. !!! anyone know some easy ways to make it evolve sooner ?

I think that the Pokewalker could help you with that.

In Gen I, the only grass types that weren't poison were Tangela and Parascect

Venusaur and Victreebel were pretty cool in Gen I, mostly because of 99.6% Razor Leaf crit, Sleep Powder, and Body Slam.

Gen III gave us some cool looking grass types (hell yeah Ludicolo and Tropius), but only like two were any good

Ludicolo was decent, and Breloom was game-breaking. Breloom is just as good in Gen IV, because it still kept its staple Spore + Focus Punch but it also got physical grass STAB in Seed Bomb.

And now we're here in gen IV, where it's pretty much the same

Shaymin? Abomasnow is also huge offensively with dual base 120 STABs, but it's only BL because Snow Warning automatically puts it out of UU.

There have been a fair share of decent grass types throughout the series.

Venusaur and Victreebel were pretty cool in Gen I, mostly because of 99.6% Razor Leaf crit, Sleep Powder, and Body Slam.

My point was that pretty much every single grass type was weak to the hilariously broken Psychic type.

Ludicolo was decent, and Breloom was game-breaking. Breloom is just as good in Gen IV, because it still kept its staple Spore + Focus Punch but it also got physical grass STAB in Seed Bomb.

Ludicolo is still UU, and I don't think you saw my other post mentioning Breloom.

Shaymin? Abomasnow is also huge offensively with dual base 120 STABs, but it's only BL because Snow Warning automatically puts it out of UU.

I've seen Shaymin change tiers. It was Uber (which obviously does not count) the last time I checked. If it changed, my point still stands.

There have been a fair share of decent grass types throughout the series.

You've given six examples, and only half of those are above UU to this day.

My point was that pretty much every single grass type was weak to the hilariously broken Psychic type.

Oh yeah, I knew I forgot something. Exeggutor was also OU.

Ludicolo is still UU, and I don't think you saw my other post mentioning Breloom.

You mentioning Breloom does not discount the fact that Breloom is a very good Pokemon.

I've seen Shaymin change tiers. It was Uber (which obviously does not count) the last time I checked. If it changed, my point still stands.

So if a Pokemon is so good that it's Uber, then it doesn't count? Then Garchomp doesn't count as a good ground type because it got sent to Ubers? I'm very confused by your criteria. You're stipulating that if it's too good, it doesn't count, and if it's not good enough, it's exemplary evidence that the type in general is not very good. You're illustrating your point by creating criteria that naturally supports your point.

Plus, you have a whole slew of shitty fire, poison, rock, bug, and ice-types out there. It's not like grass types are particularly special in being bad; I'd even wager that among the bad Pokemon, grass types are still fairly good because at least they can inflict status whereas other bad Pokemon might not even have a reasonable niche.

Edited by dondon151

You mentioning Breloom does not discount the fact that Breloom is a very good Pokemon.

...Which I already said.

So if a Pokemon is so good that it's Uber, then it doesn't count? Then Garchomp doesn't count as a good ground type because it got sent to Ubers? I'm very confused by your criteria. You're stipulating that if it's too good, it doesn't count, and if it's not good enough, it's exemplary evidence that the type in general is not very good. You're illustrating your point by creating criteria that naturally supports your point.

Ubers are generally banned in PVP play, that is why they do not count.

Plus, you have a whole slew of shitty fire, poison, rock, bug, and ice-types out there. It's not like grass types are particularly special in being bad; I'd even wager that among the bad Pokemon, grass types are still fairly good because at least they can inflict status whereas other bad Pokemon might not even have a reasonable niche.

Never said Grass was the only type like this. Fire's in a similar situation, poison is GOOD defensively (only two weaknesses), Rock is meh, Bug suffers but does 2x against psychic AND dark, Ice is pretty much the same as grass.

ok my togepi evolved. Level 22 I think. The rest of my pokemon are in the 18-20 area. I'm wrapping things up in Goldenrod. I went ahead and caught sudowoodo.

and I thought breloom was pretty bad ass in Emerald

I thought Grass was pretty good in Gen I (Oddly enough I remember reading somewhere that Tangela was the best grass type)

Gen 1 was dominated by Psychic types. Now consider that most Grass types were part Poison (except Tangela and the Eggies) and...

Come on guys we all know Garchomp is Uber right...?

Oh yeah got HG. Named my Cyndaquil Billy Mays. First thing it says when I talked to it:

"Billy Mays doesn't seem used to its own name yet."

Edited by Tyranel M