Astra is sooo broken

Iced

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's max activation rate is the same (20%)

So how come whenever I play PoR, Ike activates Aether in 70-80% of battles, while in RD, he activates it once in a blue moon?

Where is Astra better?

Have you ever seen Mia pull off all 5 strikes... :drool:

Edited by NinjaMonkey

So how come whenever I play PoR, Ike activates Aether in 70-80% of battles, while in RD, he activates it once in a blue moon?

No one cares what happened to you, to put it bluntly. If I were to tell you that Aether never activated for me in PoR (I don't even own it, but who cares) and activated every battle in RD, what would you say? Your entire argument would be reduced to rubble.

Have you ever seen anyone survive an Aether?

And Aether doesn't even take 1 weapon use. :3

Edited by Ninji

Have you ever seen anyone survive an Aether?

And Aether doesn't even take 1 weapon use. :3

I guess you mean Ragnell.

And yeah, surviving Aether would be difficult, considering 29 + 18 = 47 mt without supports. So Aether does 94 - enemy def damage while Ike is at 20/1 with no +mt support.

Red Dragons could survive. Of course, since I think Aether is one range only you should be using a wyrmslayer, and they will not survive an Aether while Ike is using a wyrmslayer. Even 11/1 supportless Ike means 26 + 33 = 59 mt so 80 damage to a 38def red dragon, aka death. Considering those cover tiles mean nothing on the second hit, he just needs to have an extra 5 str and he'll do 80 damage even to a cover tile dragon to cover the extra 10 def on the first hit.

31 str for Ike is pretty easy by 4-E-3. Or 29 str and the correct support.

Yeah. I mean the only other thing you would want Ike to use after you get it would be a Hammer for the Black Knight and MAYBE a Wyrmslayer for the Dragons.

And yeah, surviving Aether would be difficult, considering 29 + 18 = 47 mt without supports. So Aether does 94 - enemy def damage while Ike is at 20/1 with no +mt support.

Red Dragons could survive. Of course, since I think Aether is one range only you should be using a wyrmslayer, and they will not survive an Aether while Ike is using a wyrmslayer. Even 11/1 supportless Ike means 26 + 33 = 59 mt so 80 damage to a 38def red dragon, aka death. Considering those cover tiles mean nothing on the second hit, he just needs to have an extra 5 str and he'll do 80 damage even to a cover tile dragon to cover the extra 10 def on the first hit.

B-b-but no more 5 defense and 1-2 range. D: I'd rather take an enemy phase in that chapter over an assured ORKO.

Yeah. I mean the only other thing you would want Ike to use after you get it would be a Hammer for the Black Knight and MAYBE a Wyrmslayer for the Dragons.

B-b-but no more 5 defense and 1-2 range. D: I'd rather take an enemy phase in that chapter over an assured ORKO.

Ike's Inventory

Wyrmslayer

Ragnell

Concoction/Vulnerary/Elixir/whatever

Trade Concoction/Vulnerary/Elixir/whatever for Wyrmslayer. Bam, Ragnell equipped for enemy phase.

It isn't like a Heron doesn't exist either.

Actually, to emphasive your point, wyrmslayer doesn't 100% ORKO reds anyway (it does whites, and Ragnell doesn't, though). If he Aether's, its a KO, but he's not about to Aether very frequently. Still, since I tend to have someone near him, he can attack at 1 range and then someone else can trade the wyrmslayer for a vulnerary/concoction/elixir and as long as Ragnell is in the second position he'll auto-equip it and he's good for enemy phase. Whenever it's not possible to get someone to trade it, yeah, Ragnell on player phase if I think he'll be attacked on enemy phase otherwise.

Ike's Inventory

Wyrmslayer

Ragnell

Concoction/Vulnerary/Elixir/whatever

Trade Concoction/Vulnerary/Elixir/whatever for Wyrmslayer. Bam, Ragnell equipped for enemy phase.

It isn't like a Heron doesn't exist either.

Actually, to emphasive your point, wyrmslayer doesn't 100% ORKO reds anyway (it does whites, and Ragnell doesn't, though). If he Aether's, its a KO, but he's not about to Aether very frequently. Still, since I tend to have someone near him, he can attack at 1 range and then someone else can trade the wyrmslayer for a vulnerary/concoction/elixir and as long as Ragnell is in the second position he'll auto-equip it and he's good for enemy phase. Whenever it's not possible to get someone to trade it, yeah, Ragnell on player phase if I think he'll be attacked on enemy phase otherwise.

Always with the trading and the Herons. Why can't I ever remember those?

Aether sucks because Ike comes down out of the sky and lands on his face. It's the most embarassing animation ever.

I found the fact FE9 cavs rode horses with concave knees even more embaressing.

How about Ike doing some backward wheelbarrels when he criticals.

If Astra didn't take up 5 weapon uses, then yes, it would be pretty broken.

Astra is generally classified as the 3rd worst skill behind Flare and Corona (since there's no multi-damage thing). Hell, it's comparable to Flare, simply because of the weapon uses.

If Astra didn't take up 5 weapon uses, then yes, it would be pretty broken.

Astra is generally classified as the 3rd worst skill behind Flare and Corona (since there's no multi-damage thing). Hell, it's comparable to Flare, simply because of the weapon uses.

I'm not really bothered by the 5 weapon uses. I'm bothered by (skill/2)%.

Really, I'd be tempted to say Flare > Astra, at least depending on the unit. Self heal at skill% is pretty nice, and if they actually doubled stuff it would normally mean a KO between Flare and the extra hit. Trouble is, most sages don't.

I just wish it would go back to it's old happy broken self, with skill% and allowing crits. That was fun.

There is a video of Lakche beating on Lucius in the chapter where he doesn't have awareness. Like, 1 damage when she doesn't crit, but with that game's way of calculating crits, mid twenties on crits. Astra with enough crits meant death on everything in the game.

Then apparently Mareeta and her PC of 5 basically means automatic death if she shooting stars on her pursuit attack.

I think she could kill a red dragon in RD with her stats from fe5, and those cap at 20 (as long as she keeps that game's critical damage calculations). There are a lot of units in this game that can't KO a red dragon even with their mastery.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Aether sucks because Ike comes down out of the sky and lands on his face. It's the most embarassing animation ever.

So attacking from up above makes it suck?

*walks away*

Astra isn't that good.

Skll/2 = % is bad, and when it takes up FIVE POSSIBLE USES...

I'd prefer to use those Masteries on a Marshall or Dragonmaster.

Luna is awesome because it triples damage and goes through defense, and Stun is awesome because it triples damage and immobilizes a dude for a turn.

Tear is rather nice too, if not for the Speed=% activation. Because Hawks have awesome SPD.

Astra is shitty against high-DEF foes and Corona is only useful against, like, Saints or high-RES units. That goes for Dragons too, but putting magic-users in a DRAGON'S range is bogus.

And Sol isn't as awesome as people make it out to be. Skill/2=%. And for an attack that triples damage and recovers HP, that's a rare occurrence. Thank goodness the units you use it on are good, right? RIGHT???

If I had to tier Mastery skills, it'd be like this I'd say:

------------------

LOL BK Tier:

Eclipse

High Tier:

Luna

Colossus

Rend

Mid Tier:

Impale

Tear

Savage

Ire

Roar

Aether

Sol

Low Tier:

Flare

Lethality

Astra

Corona

Bottom Tier:

Bane

----------------------

Bane is a shit version of Lethality. They're the same exact skill except Bane can't kill.

Edited by OliverXRenning

Okay then.

Bane's chance to activate is Skill/2=%. So the Whisper's cap is 38 and Sothe's average at -/20/20. Sothe is normally reaching the cap at -/20/14, so it will be, at most, 19% chance to hit. When it can't even kill a foe. Assuming we aren't using Heather because lolHeather.

At least Lethality and, gee, EVERY OTHER SKILL IN THE GAME, can kill.

It's like strapping Mercy on your Whisper, effectively wasting a Mastery.

LOL BK Tier:

Eclipse

High Tier:

Luna

Colossus

Rend

Stun

Mid Tier:

Impale

Tear

Savage

Ire

Roar

Aether

Sol

Low Tier:

Flare

Lethality

Astra

Corona

Bottom Tier:

Bane

------------

It fits there.

So that's all of them. AND NOW TO TACKLE THE OTHER SKILLZ LULZ.

No way. Too easy. White Pool is Top Tier.

Edited by OliverXRenning

LOL BK Tier:

Eclipse

High Tier:

Luna

Colossus

Rend

Mid Tier:

Impale

Tear

Savage

Ire

Roar

Aether

Sol

Low Tier:

Flare

Lethality

Astra

Corona

Bottom Tier:

Bane

------------

It fits there.

So that's all of them. AND NOW TO TACKLE THE OTHER SKILLZ LULZ.

No way. Too easy. White Pool is Top Tier.

Rend > Colossus.

5x str vs. 3x strength. Consider a red dragon. Pretty much the only time this distinction matters. 77hp/38 def, the strongest. 75hp/36def, the weakest.

111 needed to KO the least durable, 121 on cover.

115 needed to KO the most durable, 125 on cover.

30 str and Urvan means 112 mt. This could happen with Nolan, though not Boyd, since he'll have much more str by now. 33 str means 121, and a +mt support means 123 or 124.

24 str and A strike means 128 mt for Rend. Even 20 str means death with SS if it isn't on cover.

Also, cats have a higher spd cap than Reavers have skill. Also, the 25 capacity vs. 30 capacity is irrelevant since cats have 35 extra beyond rend and shove, whereas Reavers only have 30. Also, stun effect if for some reason your cat only has 20 str at this point.

It isn't much, since Colossus with Boyd will OHKO anyway thanks to >35 str by now and on everything else and Nolan should OHKO reds not on cover anyway, but it is a difference. It is only slight, but I'm not sure what Colossus has to say in response to:

36% max vs. 40% max

and

3x str vs. 5x str

Ignoring relevant stat caps, of course, reduces the lead to just the extra multiple, but I'm not seeing how Colossus is better aside from Reavers > Cats, which has nothing to do with the Mastery itself.