Next-gen DS in the works

General Spoon

Hey, Ike-Mike, about your response to me on the other page:

TearRing Saga was not what I meant.

Also, why do you say casual gamers are retarded? Someone who doesn't like Fire Emblem, but likes to play Mario Kart every once in a while is A-OK with me...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait what, didn't the DS pass the PS2 in sales like half a year ago?

No. The DS has more sold in Japan, where PS2 did worst out of all the regions. The PS2 currently has 150 million consoles sold worldwide. The PS1 has 103 million and the DS has 101 million. DS should pass PS1 this year unless it drops in popularity randomly.

And the Wii has sold more than those numbers combined. It's not even opinion anymore; as long as you use your fingers, eyes, and brain, you can easily find that out.

And with the new DS, I can only imagine Nintendo is going to purchase an island off the coast of Venezuela, where they'll ransom the UN for fifty trillion dollars or they'll destroy the planet with their Wii Satellite, that not only attracts Mercury-sized meteors to crash into Earth... but ALSO gives you updates on the weather and measures your weight!

Handy!

And the Wii has sold more than those numbers combined. It's not even opinion anymore; as long as you use your fingers, eyes, and brain, you can easily find that out.

And with the new DS, I can only imagine Nintendo is going to purchase an island off the coast of Venezuela, where they'll ransom the UN for fifty trillion dollars or they'll destroy the planet with their Wii Satellite, that not only attracts Mercury-sized meteors to crash into Earth... but ALSO gives you updates on the weather and measures your weight!

Handy!

Nobody cares. The PS2 is the reason Sony is doing fine, and because the PS3 is beginning to suck less, they'll survive this generation.

Not to mention Sony sells non-video game related products.

The PS2 IS one of the better new-gen systems made. The PS3 sort of negatives out the positive though.

Don't get me wrong, the PS3 has plenty of awesome titles. But some are just answers to Xbox 360's games.

Resistance? The PS3's Gears of War- overrating and all.

Killzone 2? The PS3's Halo 3- don't give me bullshit about how they're "different."

Heavenly Sword? lol clone God of War much?

And there are others that just disappoint...

Lair? God, I was so excited for it. Then it sucked.

Haze? Shitty FPS much?

Genji 2? The sequel to a popular game already? Epic failed.

MGS4? Most confusing movie ever.

I pray to Yahweh or whoever else that God of War 3 becomes the PS3's killer app.

And I'm not going to bother arguing that the Xbox 360 has been out longer than the PS3- it's been, like, two years now. They both have equally entertaining titles.

Not to mention Sony sells non-video game related products.

So does Microsoft. Nintendo doesn't, but they have so much money from the Wii, they use one-hundred dollar bills for condoms.

Don't ask what the fifties are for.

Also, why do you say casual gamers are retarded? Someone who doesn't like Fire Emblem, but likes to play Mario Kart every once in a while is A-OK with me...

Casual gamers are not retarded. Games that are expected to be fun for standard gamers yet only continue to step backwards in the challenges they expect to face (this doesn't even have to be hard challenges, I've seen easy franchises become even easier) are retarded.

Thankfully Nintendo's caught on to this problem, it seems.

OliverXRenning, if you need me to explain anything about the MGS storyline, I'd be glad to help. Free of charge for now.

No, I get it. At least, after playing MGS4 for forty billion hours. At least.

It's confusing as hell unless you really look at the details. The REALLY small ones.

He was referring to the fact that when someone honestly uses 'casual gamer' they mean 'retard', independent of whether they realize it or not. And you shouldn't deny that this is true. Because it is.

Casual gamer isn't even really a gamer, per se.

They're the Wii owners who get the Wii Sports (Resort/Space Station/Ranch Hand/whatever else Nintendo comes up with) and is the sole reason the Wii prints money.

If Nintendo wasn't supported by this crowd, the Wii would probably be turned back in for Borderlands or Brutal Legend...

Maybe the other power players should release their own casual crowd-pleasers.

Or they could just continue milking series in one consecutive title...

SO WHO HERE IS GONNA BUY LEGO ROCK BAND???

You=Retard

'Casual Gamers'=Not as retarded as you, but still retarded as all Americans are retarded and no American ever even pays attention to the existence of people outside of their country. But I assure you that so called 'casual gamers' in other countries aren't retarded.

You=Retard

'Casual Gamers'=Not as retarded as you, but still retarded as all Americans are retarded and no American ever even pays attention to the existence of people outside of their country. But I assure you that so called 'casual gamers' in other countries aren't retarded.

I'm not calling casual gamers retarded, but I don't know why you're resorting to name calling when I'm just pointing something out we all seem to enjoy ignoring.

He was referring to the fact that when someone honestly uses 'casual gamer' they mean 'retard', independent of whether they realize it or not. And you shouldn't deny that this is true. Because it is.

Uh, sure...I guess.

What happened to your funny days?

You=Retard

I'm not calling casual gamers retarded, but I don't know why you're resorting to name calling when I'm just pointing something out we all seem to enjoy ignoring.

:newyears:

That smiley alone speaks millions of paragraphs.

For example, did you know that casual simply means (for the most part) 'not seriously'? So basically, any game can be played by a 'casual gamer' because you don't need to be completely serious to play any video game.

Generalizing 'casual gamers' as people who only play wii sports is retarded, and generalizing any game as a 'casual game' is retarded, because any game can be played seriously or not seriously.

:newyears: the more you know

For example, did you know that casual simply means (for the most part) 'not seriously'? So basically, any game can be played by a 'casual gamer' because you don't need to be completely serious to play any video game.

Generalizing 'casual gamers' as people who only play wii sports is retarded, and generalizing any game as a 'casual game' is retarded, because any game can be played seriously or not seriously.

I'm not really labeling that specific group to that specific kind of game. Because that WOULD make me retarded.

Instead, I'm just identifying what the crowd likes. They don't really get into the core of the gaming world. For example, zerg rush might have no definition among that crowd.

They like to take games easy and NOT mash buttons until your fingers open a wormhole into Valhalla.

And while I agree with your seriousness game statement, you surely cannot deny there are SOME games out there that can't really go into a competitive category of any sorts.

EDIT: You've ALSO proven yourself to be lazy. :D

Edited by OliverXRenning

I'm saying that validating a market that was thought dead and hated, no, even despised (Test players hated the NES, but Minoru Arakawa decided to plow through anyway) is a bigger and more impressive feat than competing against a few other consoles in a relatively healthy market.

Console gaming itself wasn't hated, the companies previously involved were. The NES' launch sales are proof enough of that.

Yes, I can.

Arcade gaming =/= console gaming.

No it hasn't..

The Wii has sold 51 million units to date. The PS2 has TRIPLE those sales and the DS/PS1 double them. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time. If the Wii were selling that well, Sony and MS would have given up already, considering they're at 27 million and 32 million respectively.

In a fair defense "fag" doesn't mean "homosexual." Words can have different meanings, ya know. Given, that's more along the lines of slang, but to me, so is being a "casual gamer."

Edited by Ben Stein

Before the PS1, can you honestly say gaming was mainstream?

Yes, I can.

No you can't.
29vyplx.jpg

While people might wax nostalgic about their childhood times on the NES, there is nothing quite like the Golden Era of the Arcades. While, today, the game industry talks about ‘multiplayer gaming’, ‘community gaming’, ’social gaming’, ‘innovation’, ‘new control schemes’, blah blah blah, all of it was done in the arcades. NES Era gamers might have had a taste of this with the Street Fighter 2 revival, but even then that was nothing compared to those times. Girls never played SF2, or mothers, or families. And while some try to call for ‘mature gaming’, there was nothing like playing games in smoke filled alcohol-saturated bars. Can you think of a time where a young man can play video games AND pick up girls AT THE SAME TIME? Of course not. This perhaps explains Nolan Bushnell’s uWink adventure for he remembers if it was possible once, it can be possible again.

The place where Pong was put out and where it caught on tremendously was a bar, a place not really associated with children.

Nintendo decided to go the same route as Atari when it comes to expanding the gaming populace but when the Sega Genesis rolled around they decided to put that on a halt and compete with over the gamers that were already there until then.

No. Nonono. Gaming was not mainstream then. Gaming was for nerds. Gaming was considered by a lot of people to be an utter waste of time, most people wouldn't even have considered it a hobby. In no way was it mainstream.

Gaming IS mainstream today. Mainstream is when soccer moms are playing Bejeweled on their iPhones. Mainstream is when video games are being review and recommended on actual TV shows. Mainstream is where practically every moron you meet on the street has at least seen someone play a video game, and probably played one themselves.

Gaming is now as mainstream as most other forms of entertainment, maybe even more so. I know a lot of people who don't read but play games.

So no, gaming was NOT mainstream before the PS1. It wasn't really that mainstream after it either, but still. Gaming slowly expanded until it is at the point it is at today. And it's everyone, not just Nintendo, not just Sony, not just Microsoft, who contributes to that. The PS1 and PS2 where responsible for getting a large number of teenage-ish people into gaming. Now almost every single teen plays video games to some degree. Right now, the Wii and a lot of online games and whatnot have gotten the very young and the very old into gaming (some where already into it, but they where a very small minority).

It is due to a combination of things that gaming enjoys its current acceptance in our culture. I don't believe Malstrom's "Hardcore gamers are destroying the world" argument, but I don't believe people who say the Wii has destroyed gaming either.

Video games are an expanding experience, and they can cover a variety of demographics.

From my personal experience, everyone in my family was once playing the same video games as me. We'd continuously argue over who'd get the Game Boy next. It wasn't until about when Pokémon came out that video games just became needlessly complex that they stopped.

lolneedlesslycomplex

Careful man, I love those "needlessly complex" games.

Edited by Fia 

I'm not really labeling that specific group to that specific kind of game. Because that WOULD make me retarded.

Instead, I'm just identifying what the crowd likes. They don't really get into the core of the gaming world. For example, zerg rush might have no definition among that crowd.

They like to take games easy and NOT mash buttons until your fingers open a wormhole into Valhalla.

And while I agree with your seriousness game statement, you surely cannot deny there are SOME games out there that can't really go into a competitive category of any sorts.

Instead, I'm just identifying what the crowd would normally like. They don't really get into the core of the gaming world. For example, zerg rush might have no definition among that crowd.

Okay, I meant what would normally APPEAL to them. Would anyone really say Daigo of SF3 would compete in Wii Sports Tournaments?

Just because a so called "hardcore" gamer wouldn't be assed to play a game he thinks is for "retarded casuals" (I'm just talking in general here, not Daigo specifically, I do not know his feelings on this) doesn't mean a person who plays games like wii boxing wouldn't play, for example, Street Fighter 3 (or the far superior SF3, Shining Force 3).

Also wii boxing is fun bro. I could totally get behind playing that seriously.